Marlins looking at Carlos Beltran

okay it's Berardino (commence booing) but still....

link

Marlins cast eye on K.C.'s Beltran

By Mike Berardino

Staff Writer

Posted June 14 2004

DETROIT ? Just as they had in previous bids for Mike Hampton, Ugueth Urbina and Pudge Rodriguez, the Marlins could enter surprising territory in the coming days and weeks.

According to a high-ranking baseball official, the Marlins have made preliminary contact with the Kansas City Royals regarding center fielder Carlos Beltran. The fading Royals announced Friday that they would pull the plug on their season and begin dealing off expensive veterans and those with expiring contracts.

Topping the list is the switch-hitting Beltran, who makes $9 million and recently announced plans to test free agency after the season. That intention could work to the Marlins' advantage as several richer clubs would prefer negotiating a contract extension with Beltran before consummating a deal.

The Marlins would view him strictly as a rental, the type of all-around talent who could help them mask deficiencies in their bullpen and behind the plate and defend their World Series crown. Beltran also could energize an offense that entered Sunday's play ranked 11th in the National League in runs and 10th in home runs.

The New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, San Diego Padres, New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers are among the contenders believed to have serious interest in Beltran, a former American League Rookie of the Year, who was batting .269 with 12 home runs and 43 RBI. Just one of those homers, however, had come since May 18.

If the Marlins acquired Beltran, 27, he could remain in center field with Juan Pierre moving to left and Jeff Conine moving into a rough platoon with Hee Seop Choi at first base. Beltran could hit third and help lengthen the Marlins' lineup.

"[The Marlins] would find a way to make it work," said one baseball official familiar with the Marlins' thinking.

Money could be a significant hang-up as Beltran is still due about $5.2 million the rest of this season. The Marlins would ask the Royals to pick up some of that, but the Royals at this point don't seem inclined to pay much, if any, of Beltran's remaining salary.

If Beltran didn't provide the necessary boost or other areas were deemed more pressing, the Marlins could always turn around and deal him to another contender before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

Don't look for the Marlins to offer Pierre in a package for Beltran. Even though they play the same position, the Marlins view Pierre's energy and production as vital parts of their program.

It's important to note the Marlins' interest is only preliminary, but they have been talking with the Royals about bullpen options for some time. Putting Beltran in a deal could be a natural extension of those talks.

One problem the Marlins face is the thinning of their farm system. Once ranked among the best, it has slipped to the middle of the pack and has recently been weakened by injuries and other woes.

Three of their top 11 prospects, according to Baseball America's winter rankings, are on the disabled list: Double-A outfielder Eric Reed (No. 8, wrist), Double-A pitcher Trevor Hutchinson (No. 8, elbow) and Triple-A pitcher Lincoln Holdzkom (No. 11, shoulder).

In addition, last year's first-round pick, right-hander Jeff Allison, has been on the restricted list since May 6 after leaving camp without permission.

The Royals have told teams they would ideally want inexpensive young talent for Beltran, preferably a catcher and a third baseman. The Marlins have neither in their system, at least none that is highly touted.?

... it's only preliminary contacts, so no big deal. Good to know they're inquiring though.

I like how the article casually notes at the end that we have nothing at the positions they want. I bet half the teams in the league have asked about Beltran.

Don't see how we could ever pull this off without completely wrecking our long term future, and I'm not really convinced it helps us that much. Looks like pure sensationalism to me. Really fun/exciting to read though.

if its a even trade like we dont have to give up our best Minor leauge players id go for it but if they want our future starters no thanks...rememeber he's a rental not worth giving to much for a guy that should be hitting 300 and is only hitting 260's..

First and foremost you have to consider the source - Mike "I hate the Marlins with every fiber of my being" Berardino, and the fact that JP in left field (because of his arm) would be a tremendous liability. Your left and right fielders almost by definition have to be guys with strong throwing arms and if JP has a weakness, it's his throwing. So putting JP in left is a fable.

Second, while the Marlins could use another bat their main focus has to be on pitching. Bringing in a rent-a-player ala Piazza a few years ago just to trade him makes no sense if you believe that the Marlins have pretty good clubhouse and onfield chemistry right now and every player knows his role. You're not going to upset the apple cart for a few weeks to play Beltran and then ship him off. Rather, if you're the Marlins, you'll already have Beltran packaged somewhere else before he ever sets foot in Miami.

This is just more of the same from MB, all smoke, no fire.

2 reasons why this deal won't happen:

1. The Fish will have to trade the Farm that they don't even currently have to get Beltran.

2. Beltran is a FA after this offseason and their is no way the Marlins would be able to sign him long term, so this would basically be a rent-a-player deal, and the Marlins simply can't afford to be doing stuff like that.

but his team isnt ready to deal Beltran right now.

Incorrect, the Royals FO has basically given up on this season and is looking to trade anybody they can with value right now.

Don't be surprised to see the Royals make some deals in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Guest Juanky

1. The Fish will have to trade the Farm that they don't even currently have to get Beltran.

There is a decent to good farm down there, don't kid yourself. The thing is if we keep moving it for players there won't be any left. Hence why this deal won't happen.

You guys probably have a better chance than some big market teams because whoever gets Beltran wont re-sign him. Thats why the Red Sox, Yunks, Mets, etc. will hold off on him.

Very true, I agree 100 percent with that.

Question is, which medium market sized team (like the Marlins) is willing to trade away several prospects in order to get Beltran for only a few months.

Interesting senario is developing in that regard.

You guys probably have a better chance than some big market teams because whoever gets Beltran wont re-sign him. Thats why the Red Sox, Yunks, Mets, etc. will hold off on him.

Very true, I agree 100 percent with that.

Question is, which medium market sized team (like the Marlins) is willing to trade away several prospects in order to get Beltran for only a few months.

Interesting senario is developing in that regard. One that wants to repeat as World Champions...

All this talk about our farm system being depleted....but what exactly do we need our farm for for the next few years??

lowell and luis are locked up, as is Agon, Agon only for two years but he will never be expensive to get back....we have the rights to choi for a while as well as Cabs..... JP will have to be locked up multi year... but the FO loves him and he loves us, he shouldnt be very expensive to sign...the only holes are left field and catcher....so keep hermidia and willy.....

our pitching is set with beckett, willis, we have to resign penny and burnett....i'm assuming that pavz is gone although that may not be the case.....so we need 1 more starter.... hutch? murphy? olsen? wayne?there are some options.

this leaves relief pitching....something that can be found easily and cheapily for the most part....

my point being...our team looks pretty set for a few years....we can trade our farm to win now and in those three to four years that we have this team together...can build the farm backwith the draft

the only untouchables should be hermidia and willy and one pitcher (whoever the FO thinks to be the best)....everyone else should be up for grabs

a potential draw back to this is we wont have much depth if peeps get injured....but lets face it, when your studs get injured your not gonna win anways....and besides....thats why the damion easilys, matt treanors and todd hollandsworths exsist..to back up........so we just wouldnt be seeing many of the young guys being called up

I dont see any reason why the Marlins cant acquire Beltran. Sorry Maglioooooohhwhatever, but we have a pretty good farm system. It is only 'depleted' at the AAA level, after that, we are stacked.

I agree with FishFanFoLIfe that we are not in dire need of our farm talent. If anything, we are overstocked at some positions. Some candidates we could deal are Hutch, Stokes, Aguila (if you keep Hermida around) or even Ambres, Abe Nunez could be dealt also. KC would like a 3B (Dillon) and a C (Castro?). There are plenty of ways to sweeten that deal. (About Castro, dont laugh. Tony Pena was a former catcher and should know how to help Castro get a fresh start.)

So, we have the ability to make some trades and hold on to players that could be vital in our future, like Reed (CF), Wilson (SS), Willingham ©, Hermida (LF) and even pitching like Murphy and others AA down.

HAving said all that, I dont think we should deal for Beltran. I dont think he will make as big of an impact - he always struck me as soft. Big on talent, short on results. Of course, he is playing for the big FA ticket though. And I dont think we would have to give up our future to make this deal. But I think there are other targets that are lower profile that may be easier to make a deal for.

I also think the Marlins can help their bullpen by getting more offense. A #3 hitter would be great, but as you can see by my sig, I dont think it is totally necessary for this team to win.

Guest Juanky

I doubt heavily we would just be a halfway house for Beltran unless we would be trading him to a contender in the American League that would send back two or three pretty big parts that can contribute now and would be financially covered.