What Marlin numbers will be retired?

Wild Card

This subject was brought up in another forum, so I figured it'd be cool to share who everybody thought would have their jerseys retired and in the Marlin Hall of Fame.

My Shoe-In List:

Jeff Conine

Gary Sheffield

Mike Lowell

Miguel Cabrera

And...

Mike Piazza

:plain

I don't know about Sheffield. I agree with the other ones. A few others have a shot too... if they stay with the team long enough and perform up to their potential. Beckett and D-Train.

677117[/snapback]

Sheffield was here a pretty long time. If he ever makes it to the Hall of Fame, I am pretty confident he'll go in as a Marlin. And I don't see Beckett, only because I believe he is lost once free agency hits. But Willis and possibly Juan Pierre, if they stay, are definitely suitors.

I don't know about Sheffield.? I agree with the other ones.? A few others have a shot too... if they stay with the team long enough and perform up to their potential.? Beckett and D-Train.

677117[/snapback]

Sheffield was here a pretty long time. If he ever makes it to the Hall of Fame, I am pretty confident he'll go in as a Marlin. And I don't see Beckett, only because I believe he is lost once free agency hits. But Willis and possibly Juan Pierre, if they stay, are definitely suitors.

677121[/snapback]

sheffield said he enjoyed his more with yankees than he ever did with the marlins

Lowell has a change if he stays longer and keeps putting numbers up. Sheffield wasent here long enough. Cabrera, he has the ability but will he be here for 10+ years? Its hard to say with so many players changing teams often with free agency and all the trades. Its not like it used to be when players tended to stay with the same team for a long time. Conine was here at the begining and has been part of 2 championship teams, he hasent put up "huge numbers" but he is a fan favorite, Conine is boderline.

There are just two people that have either served enough time or accomplished enough or carved out a spoty in Marlins history. Jeff Conine and Jack McKeon. Conine is Mr. Marlin and McKeon not only has a W.S. but represents the start of the NEW Marlins. The winning Marlins. The Marlins getting a new stadium. Jack goes down in history as a Florida Marlin.

Gary Sheffield. Brewers, Padres, Marlins, Dodgers, Braves, Yankees. Nope. Though he is one of our top stars he is not a Marlin.

Mike Lowell - It's sort of early. If he was no longer a Marlin I'd say no which means not enough time.

Miguel Cabrera - Way too early. Career ends next season and the answer is no.

Guest Moneyball

I don't know about Sheffield.? I agree with the other ones.? A few others have a shot too... if they stay with the team long enough and perform up to their potential.? Beckett and D-Train.

677117[/snapback]

677121[/snapback]

sheffield said he enjoyed his more with yankees than he ever did with the marlins

677127[/snapback]

Enjoyed what more with the Yankees? A championship? Breaking news he hasn't won one with them yet.

sheffield is the best player the marlins have ever had even till this day.

cabs could change that but as of right now sheff is the only one "deserving" conine gets in cuz of his long time tenure with the fish.

when sheff goes into the hall he will go in either as a Marlin or Yankee.

I don't think there is a marlin who'll get his number retired. Conine just isn't good enough...long shot. Lowell has a "slightly" better chance, because he is a true native, and still has some years ahead. Sheif will get it only if he goes in as a fish, and he's not likely to get in. Cabs has the potential, but I don't want to think about us trying to sign him at his peak. Just look around the league about who gets their numbers retired. Hall of Famers, record breakers, and then those that supported the other two. Conine and Lowell were/are solid players, community leaders, but they are not superstars (we'll not for more than a year or 2 anyway).