New Ownership Rumor

With very little exception (in fact, I know of no exception), education around the country is mostly funded by local property taxes. Miami-Dade County is no different. The state and federal government often provide additional funding for specific purposes. There will be no direct relationship between building a stadium and how education is funded. The indirect effect of building a stadium could be an increase in property values and thus an increase in property taxes, which will provide a bigger tax base to fund education. Or a decrease in property value which causes... blah blah. But a decrease in property value where the stadium is built is very unlikely.

I'm not talking about how it is all put on paper. I'm referring to what is actually done. Of course no one will come up front or put it in writing that they are taking funds from education, but when funds are actually transferred from account to account, funds are taken from education. And yes, I agree, the School Board down here is lousy. Too much politics involved. That's why alot of this will involve them.

In short, I won't argue about what is documented. I'm stating what is actually done in the end.

We need an owner who will pay for his own place of business.

Loria isnt the problem.

Loria is a big part of the problem. He doesnt have alot of money and he doesnt have the connections to get things done. Fair or not if some local juiced in guy owned the Marlins the stadium would be built. I care about the marlins not Loria so if removing him from the equation is the price that needs to be paid to keep the Marlins in Florida so be it

ya so lets cave into local political backstabbing pressures and give them what they want.

bottom line, miami is way overdue, its time to pony up. besides the marlins are done with miami due to their crap so who cares about miami anymore.

Bottom line is this:

Professional Sports franchises are private companies and tax payers should be obligated to donate to their cause by building a stadium.Let me go to city of Hialeah and demand them to build me a "Super Market" and I'll pay them back by paying them "future rent".I bet they will laugh at me and why is it ok for a millionare to do so? He can't afford a stadium or have the connections than he should sell to another who has the resources to do so.

then why build the canes a new stadium?

Bottom line is this:

Professional Sports franchises are private companies and tax payers should be obligated to donate to their cause by building a stadium.Let me go to city of Hialeah and demand them to build me a "Super Market" and I'll pay them back by paying them "future rent".I bet they will laugh at me and why is it ok for a millionare to do so? He can't afford a stadium or have the connections than he should sell to another who has the resources to do so.

With a few exceptions, most stadiums are built with the help of cities through taxes. That has been the standard set.

Major corporations do get tax breaks and incentives to move into a particular city.

However, there is no reason why Loria (or Samson) can't help bridge the gap by putting up a little more up front money; unless you don't have the two nickles to rub together.

Loria isnt the problem.

Loria is a big part of the problem. He doesnt have alot of money and he doesnt have the connections to get things done. Fair or not if some local juiced in guy owned the Marlins the stadium would be built. I care about the marlins not Loria so if removing him from the equation is the price that needs to be paid to keep the Marlins in Florida so be it

ya so lets cave into local political backstabbing pressures and give them what they want.

bottom line, miami is way overdue, its time to pony up. besides the marlins are done with miami due to their crap so who cares about miami anymore.

Bottom line is this:

then why build the canes a new stadium?

THe Ob is owned by the city of Miami if I'm not mistaken and Canes are actually puttign alot more money upfront than Loria.

Marlins2003 is absolutely correct on the bed tax issue. That money will not go to the school board under any circumstance. If they don't use the money for a stadium, they will end up using it for some convention center, museum or some other venue along those lines.

I'm not debating the bed tax issue. I'm pointing out the fact that when everyone falls a little short in this project, which is what they are running into as we speak, they will dip their hands into funds for education. I don't understand why people cannot comprehend this. This will happen whether directly or indirectly. I'm a teacher/coach and have seen this in my time in this career. It is not a coincidence that everytime something gets built, all of us that teach/coach are given more financial restrictions on buying up to date books or supplies and not to mention not replacing a position that has been vacated because of "it can no longer fit into the school's budget", thus making class rosters larger. I love the Marlins and want this issue resolved, but not at the expense of educating children and taking money out of my own pocket twice.

Whatever is done needs to come out of the owners pocket, not M-DCPS.

As for the teenagers comment about "oh god thats all we need...an spanish owner, not to metion we cant even pronounce that." What does his race have to do with anything? If he has the money, that's all that matters. I understand that nonhispanics are frustrated with the politics in Miami, but you all have to realize that the majority of Hispanics don't like it either. So please don't put us all in the same category or hate us all.

If Cisneros has the funds and connections, he should be the man.

Marlins2003 is absolutely correct on the bed tax issue. That money will not go to the school board under any circumstance. If they don't use the money for a stadium, they will end up using it for some convention center, museum or some other venue along those lines.

I'm not debating the bed tax issue. I'm pointing out the fact that when everyone falls a little short in this project, which is what they are running into as we speak, they will dip their hands into funds for education. I don't understand why people cannot comprehend this. This will happen whether directly or indirectly. I'm a teacher/coach and have seen this in my time in this career. It is not a coincidence that everytime something gets built, all of us that teach/coach are given more financial restrictions on buying up to date books or supplies and not to mention not replacing a position that has been vacated because of "it can no longer fit into the school's budget", thus making class rosters larger. I love the Marlins and want this issue resolved, but not at the expense of educating children and taking money out of my own pocket twice.

That's straight sensationalist liberalism.

OK. Now I understand this doubt of my statements. Every time someone says something about what happens in reality, there's always a conservative trying to discredit the truth or protect their sheltered world of fantasy from that truth. I guess if it does happen, the conservatives will say that it was just a coincidence once again. And I've always wondered why most educators at every level are liberal thinkers and the majority of the politicians are conservative thinkers. Maybe it has something to do with how much exposure one has to people from various walks of life versus only associating with the people that live in enclosed communities away from the "undesirables" in the working class communities.

By the way, why is this thread moving into this direction? The fact is that Loria's group has a problem that someone else is willing to step up and fix himself. Why would any Marlins' fan be against a person with deeper pockets owning the team and saves us taxpayers money and allows our politicians to take the bed taxes and use it for another project of true need rather than a project that is more of a want? Makes no sense to me. Can someone explain to me how is it worse to have an owner with deeper pockets. And please don't tell me anything about corruption or ethics or anything related because I'm no genius, but David Samson doesn't strike me as the Saint of All Goodness.

OK. Now I understand this doubt of my statements. Every time someone says something about what happens in reality, there's always a conservative trying to discredit the truth or protect their sheltered world of fantasy from that truth. I guess if it does happen, the conservatives will say that it was just a coincidence once again. And I've always wondered why most educators at every level are liberal thinkers and the majority of the politicians are conservative thinkers. Maybe it has something to do with how much exposure one has to people from various walks of life versus only associating with the people that live in enclosed communities away from the "undesirables" in the working class communities.

By the way, why is this thread moving into this direction? The fact is that Loria's group has a problem that someone else is willing to step up and fix himself. Why would any Marlins' fan be against a person with deeper pockets owning the team and saves us taxpayers money and allows our politicians to take the bed taxes and use it for another project of true need rather than a project that is more of a want? Makes no sense to me. Can someone explain to me how is it worse to have an owner with deeper pockets. And please don't tell me anything about corruption or ethics or anything related because I'm no genius, but David Samson doesn't strike me as the Saint of All Goodness.

Maybe because that Marlins fan isn't so blinded with idealism to believe such a scenario would come to be. MLB would not allow such a large contribution from an owner. It hurts every other owner the next time they seek concessions. That may not be morally right in your and my opinion, but it is what it is. There's very little we can do to fight against it, and aything we do would simply expediate the relocation of the Marlins.

An owner's financial resources is irrevelant to the point. He is not an ATM machine for fans to draw funds from. If his club is at .500 at the All-Star break and his GM blew his entire budget before March, the owner is not just going to dip into his wallet. He'll have his advisors seriously consider whether the investment will be worth it, if he'll recoup those funds in playoff revenue and if the chances are not good, what can cuts be made to ensure they'll make the profit they anticipated.

When it comes to contributing to a stadium, they are encouraged by the other owners of MLB and its determined executive council to extract every possible concession from municipalities. The lack of immediate cash infusion to the project is a red herring. The practice of the city issuing bonds and the paying them back through rent or taxes on concessions or increased development has been a standard since the 1950s (amateur, minor league and major league). Certainly not a deal breaker for the city as Arriola has made it out to be, after the fact, when the stadium deal and his attempts to scam the Marlins into supporting the U of Miami, construction industry or other friends fell through.

Are there any attorney's out their that can put a stop to whats going on with the Marlins?

Can we go after Bud Selig for his negligence in not doing whats best for baseball?

Isn't that the role of a Baseball commissioner? To do whats best for baseball and not the owners?

huh?

Don't act ignorant because you think you're above everyone (he he).

He brings up valid points, and there should be something to stop this sort of thing from happening.

MLB created a commissioner of baseball after the Chicago White Sox team had thrown the world series. There was actually a movie about this called "Eight men out." Any ways, the baseball commissioner was created not just to investigate if players were getting paid to throw games but that baseball was kept in the best interest of fans. The scandal could have killed the great American Past time. So far the current commissioner of baseball has not been acting in the best interest of baseball. When you think about it...he has negligently allowed Mr.Loria to acquire this team without having open bids for other potential buyers. Therefore he did not act in the best interest of baseball. I am sure if you were to give a poll to MLB owners they would much prefer to have someone who could afford to have a team than to constantly share revenue with them.

Are there any attorney's out their that can put a stop to whats going on with the Marlins?

Can we go after Bud Selig for his negligence in not doing whats best for baseball?

Isn't that the role of a Baseball commissioner? To do whats best for baseball and not the owners?

huh?

Don't act ignorant because you think you're above everyone (he he).

He brings up valid points, and there should be something to stop this sort of thing from happening.

Then you'll have to explain them to me because I don't have the faintest what these ramblings mean.

There are no claims here. You have to have standing to sue or try to get an injunction and being a "fan" is not considered enough to have standing. Sorry bud.

Thanks for the response.

When does anti-trust laws kick into place? I heard a professor one time discuss a year or two years ago that the marlins could not move and etc. Something to do with anti-trust?

Isn't anti-trust about monopolies?

Yeah, if I remember right the gist of baseball's is that MLB is allowed to engage in anti-competitive activites (i.e. restricting franchise rights, etc) and essentially operate as a legal monopoly. There's more to it as well.