Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

To those of you who are frustrated.....

Featured Replies

I don't know if this need another thread, but why not?

 

How many of you honestly believed that watching this team this year was going to be plesent? That routine ground ball outs were going to be played, well, routinely? That double plays would be turned with the ease you expect from a major league club? Or that if you get a 4+ run lead on a team victory is secured? If you REALLY thought these things then well, go get your head examined.

 

Going into this season you had to expect that it was going to be a tough year. One rookie on a team has a hard enough learning curve and is expected to bring the overall play down a small notch. Now multiply that notch by 8 and you have the 2006 Marlins. Routine groundballs are now a test. Double plays are no longer easy and, when turned successfully, are regarded as little miracles. Leads mean nothing.

 

I'm not saying this team is bad. They have some amazing talent on that field. However, this talent will need time to flourish. For those of you who get frustrated at a loss, don't. You had to expect that these "Baby Marlins" are going to lose the close games, are going to commit costly errors, and are going to give up those big leads. It's all in the name of learning. There are obvious flaws on this team that come from such a low payroll, the bullpen being one of them, but at the same time there are highlights on this team that go unnoticed to the casual fan. Expect these fish to play poorly because for the majority of the season they will. But also expect them to gell and individually play better. Once this happens you will have something to get frustrated about when they lose that close game.

I am frustrated but I also strongly believe that this team can turn it around quickly and these errors and such will start to tone down soon enough. I just have alot of confidence in this team, and they should kno that everyday is a new game and if they messed up 1 game they can come out the next game and put a W in the win column

I am very upset but I know that it will take awhile for these guys to click. I knew from the start that we were going to lose alot of games but I expect this team to win also. Sometimes we have to make mistakes to get better. We have to look at the positives. Our offense came alive expect for one player *cough* Jake *cough*.

I don't buy that these players are any more prone to mistakes than of teams of the past.

 

 

I agree...baseball is baseball - whether it's played in the Majors, AA or Little League.

 

I get frustrated when I see stupid errors, poor baserunning and other foolish plays.

 

I can live with the strikeouts and walks...it's the mental mistakes which I find unacceptable.

 

Girardi and staff need to instill the fundamentals in these guys.

 

:confused

I don't buy that these players are any more prone to mistakes than of teams of the past.

 

 

I agree...baseball is baseball - whether it's played in the Majors, AA or Little League.

 

I get frustrated when I see stupid errors, poor baserunning and other foolish plays.

 

I can live with the strikeouts and walks...it's the mental mistakes which I find unacceptable.

 

Girardi and staff need to instill the fundamentals in these guys.

 

:confused

Before you come to the Majors, you should know the fundamentals.

They're still a major league team. To expect horrible play is to lose all faith as a fan, and therefore no longer hold a grasp on what it truly means to be a fan of a team in the first place.

 

I'll keep the frustration.

I don't buy that these players are any more prone to mistakes than of teams of the past.

 

 

I agree...baseball is baseball - whether it's played in the Majors, AA or Little League.

 

I get frustrated when I see stupid errors, poor baserunning and other foolish plays.

 

I can live with the strikeouts and walks...it's the mental mistakes which I find unacceptable.

 

Girardi and staff need to instill the fundamentals in these guys.

 

:confused

Before you come to the Majors, you should know the fundamentals.

They all know the fundamentals....but it's ludicrous to expect rookies to play up to their minor league stats. They are rookies. It's an intangible but they will make rookie mistakes. We've seen it in just about every game. It's not frustrating, it's expected. There is a time learning curve. I prefer to look at it as fun to watch as they develop and the routine plays become routine. These guys have 14 MLB games. There's no routine yet.

Guys, did you really expect the team(all the players) we put on the field now to be the 'right' players? Did you think all of our trades would hand us stars from the very start? We have some players on this team right now who's MLB career have reached it's peak and they don't know it. That may be Uggla or Jacobs or Abercrombie or Vargas or anyone we think is SET such as Hanley or Willingham. You just never know and that's why the process of building a team takes more than replacing a $65M payroll with a $14M payroll and assuming we're likely a .500 team. Our 1998 team took five years to come together. Some of you have given this team 2 weeks and have become frustrated.

 

These players know their fundementals better than you or I. To imply anything different is quite ridiculous. Our rookies have gone from playing in a league where they were one of the best to a league where everyone is as talented as them and in many cases even more talented. They are now playing a faster paced game covered by more media and analyzed/ridiculed on ESPN. They have seen their first road trips to major cities, traveling first class and obviously enjoying being 'prime time' after the games in cities they have never visited.

 

There is pressure on these guys that is not on established players or that one rookie on another team. You don't think Uggla feels he needs to make that spectacular play or else? You don't think part of the baserunning errors have been because our guys are trying to do too much....take too much of a lead....try too hard to stretch the hit? In AAA and certainly AA their talent could cover their mistakes. On a team with 1-2 rookies the talent of the team can cover the rookie mistakes. On this team we have almost an entire lineup coming to terms that their talent is not good enough to cover their mistakes. Round that base one more foot than you should have you're dead.

 

The other day we saw Hanley give a game away. I believe each of our rookies will turn at least one win into a loss with a poor decision they make. Odds are they won't make it again. Wait until some one can't lay down the SAC because they insist they can bunt for a hit. Wait until we see the rookie believe he can throw an 0-2 fastball by a major leaguer with no need to waste a pitch. It will be a long season!!

 

Where are all the fans that said they could take the losses of a young club? It seems many fans that were too young to 'enjoy' the 1998/1999 seasons are having a hard time with this. Our goal has got to be realistic....less than 100 losses, heading in to next season with a more experienced pitching staff and an idea of where everyone fits in the lineup. Next season we'll look back at this season and say, "Can you believe we started that guy?" In season # 1 we started Scott Pose in CF on Opening Day...where is he now? Where ever he is that's probably where Eric Reed will be soon enough.

A number of things are happening I didn't expect.

 

1) The offense is more potent that I might have expected.

2) The team is much worse at fundamentals than I might have expected from professionals at any level. Specifically baserunning and handling routine groung balls.

3) The young arms are throwing the ball much better than anticipated, although they need to work on control and cut down on the BBs.

4) The veteran pitchers are much worse than expected. In a nutshell they all stink and we'd do better letting them go and having the young guys pitch.

A number of things are happening I didn't expect.

 

1) The offense is more potent that I might have expected.

2) The team is much worse at fundamentals than I might have expected from professionals at any level. Specifically baserunning and handling routine groung balls.

3) The young arms are throwing the ball much better than anticipated, although they need to work on control and cut down on the BBs.

4) The veteran pitchers are much worse than expected. In a nutshell they all stink and we'd do better letting them go and having the young guys pitch.

 

It's only been 14 games. I think we need to wait about 2 years before you can have a real evaluation.

It's only been 14 games. I think we need to wait about 2 years before you can have a real evaluation.

 

i'll second that!!!

I don't know if this need another thread, but why not?

 

How many of you honestly believed that watching this team this year was going to be plesent? That routine ground ball outs were going to be played, well, routinely? That double plays would be turned with the ease you expect from a major league club? Or that if you get a 4+ run lead on a team victory is secured? If you REALLY thought these things then well, go get your head examined.

 

Going into this season you had to expect that it was going to be a tough year. One rookie on a team has a hard enough learning curve and is expected to bring the overall play down a small notch. Now multiply that notch by 8 and you have the 2006 Marlins. Routine groundballs are now a test. Double plays are no longer easy and, when turned successfully, are regarded as little miracles. Leads mean nothing.

 

I'm not saying this team is bad. They have some amazing talent on that field. However, this talent will need time to flourish. For those of you who get frustrated at a loss, don't. You had to expect that these "Baby Marlins" are going to lose the close games, are going to commit costly errors, and are going to give up those big leads. It's all in the name of learning. There are obvious flaws on this team that come from such a low payroll, the bullpen being one of them, but at the same time there are highlights on this team that go unnoticed to the casual fan. Expect these fish to play poorly because for the majority of the season they will. But also expect them to gell and individually play better. Once this happens you will have something to get frustrated about when they lose that close game.

 

 

The bad part of this could be we have to endure this bad play and by the time they are good, they are playing and winning a World Series in San Antonio....now that's what's really gonna be frustrating !!! :banghead :banghead :banghead

Before you come to the Majors, you should know the fundamentals.

 

 

But do remember that if many of these guys were in another organization, they might have 2 to 3 more years of minor league ball before gettin a call up. Lets face it we are seeing a hybrid AA-AAA team, and to say its anything other than that is not looking at this truthfully.

 

 

Im very frustrated with the Bullpen. Does the bullpen total salary even reach $1 million?

 

 

Salary doesn't always denote quality. Many teams have $ 10-20 million in their bullpens, and I wouldn't trade them for ours.

error will happen. pitchers occasionally won't have pinpoint control. and that's okay. all i expect is for them to play hard and hustle. if you make a bonehead play and you hustle...it looks much better than if you were to not hustle. physical errors happen, but mental errors shouldn't. the players should always have their head in the game

A number of things are happening I didn't expect.

 

1) The offense is more potent that I might have expected.

2) The team is much worse at fundamentals than I might have expected from professionals at any level. Specifically baserunning and handling routine groung balls.

3) The young arms are throwing the ball much better than anticipated, although they need to work on control and cut down on the BBs.

4) The veteran pitchers are much worse than expected. In a nutshell they all stink and we'd do better letting them go and having the young guys pitch.

 

 

I agree wholeheartedly in # 4. Herges has been just horrible and needs to GO now. Borowski hasn't been much better. This is our lot for the year, we'd might as well get used to it. We are not gonna get any help in July either, don't look for that to happen. As a matter of fact we could be getting worse as if the right deal for Cabrera or Dontrelle or both comes up, Beinfest will have little choice but to send them packing. He needs to kep this payroll below $ 20 million for the next 4 years at least.

I don't buy that these players are any more prone to mistakes than of teams of the past.

 

 

I agree...baseball is baseball - whether it's played in the Majors, AA or Little League.

 

I get frustrated when I see stupid errors, poor baserunning and other foolish plays.

 

I can live with the strikeouts and walks...it's the mental mistakes which I find unacceptable.

 

Girardi and staff need to instill the fundamentals in these guys.

 

:confused

Before you come to the Majors, you should know the fundamentals.

 

 

i think thats the whole point...most of these guys would not be in the majors right now. would reggie abercrombie be a starting CF on any other team? would dan uggla be starting at 2B? doubt it - both of who made costly, boneheaded errors this afternoon.

 

even guys like ramirez (opening day his defense was atrocious, but he's far more talented than reggie and/or uggla so he looks alright most of the time) and jacobs (who has been absolutley horrible) are awfully raw. the bullpen is a patchwork job made out of cast-offs(Herges, Borowski, Welleymeyer, German) and young starters turned relievers (Johnson, Nolasco). It's hard enough for these guys to learn at the pro level...let alone learn a whole new routine of being a relief pitcher in the process.

 

i think it's totally unfair to get mad at these kids...it is not their fault they are in the majors when they probably shouldn't be. eric reed looks so overmatched i feel so sorry for the kid - his confidence must be down the toilet. Abercrombie looked overmatched as well before the last two games. if anyone is ignorant enough to boo this team at our next home game they should be shot - if you want to boo anyone, boo loria, boo samson, boo the local politicians who are playing chicken with each other, but don't jump on the kids who where thrown to the wolves in the middle of the battle. they're playing their hearts out..they're diving, bunting, hustling down the line on every play...they just simply are not major league ready and boy does it show.

i think thats the whole point...most of these guys would not be in the majors right now. would reggie abercrombie be a starting CF on any other team? would dan uggla be starting at 2B? doubt it - both of who made costly, boneheaded errors this afternoon.

 

even guys like ramirez (opening day his defense was atrocious, but he's far more talented than reggie and/or uggla so he looks alright most of the time) and jacobs (who has been absolutley horrible) are awfully raw. the bullpen is a patchwork job made out of cast-offs(Herges, Borowski, Welleymeyer, German) and young starters turned relievers (Johnson, Nolasco). It's hard enough for these guys to learn at the pro level...let alone learn a whole new routine of being a relief pitcher in the process.

 

i think it's totally unfair to get mad at these kids...it is not their fault they are in the majors when they probably shouldn't be. eric reed looks so overmatched i feel so sorry for the kid - his confidence must be down the toilet. Abercrombie looked overmatched as well before the last two games. if anyone is ignorant enough to boo this team at our next home game they should be shot - if you want to boo anyone, boo loria, boo samson, boo the local politicians who are playing chicken with each other, but don't jump on the kids who where thrown to the wolves in the middle of the battle. they're playing their hearts out..they're diving, bunting, hustling down the line on every play...they just simply are not major league ready and boy does it show.

 

 

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

We all knew this team was not going to contend for a playoff spot or anything this year, but they have shown that they aren't nearly as bad as everybody thought they would be. Its frustrating because these could easily be 7-7 or better and they've let stuipd mistakes bring them down. They are young and inexperienced, but they cannot allow a team to come from that many runs down and beat them, no team should.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.