DH...Yay or Nay?

Jimmy42Jack0

ok...im just curious as to what everyone thinks about the DH and if you were comminssioner what would you do? as a National League fan, i love the strategy in the game and having a DH ruins that...my philosophy is, if you dont have a glove, you cant bat...unless you are on the bench that is :whistle

i think i'm in favor of the DH..i like watching the game with nine hitters who can hit well. a lot of pitchers aren't hitters and they really don't have much time to work on hitting. so they really aren't professional hitters they're professional pitchers. i just think it's more enjoyable to see someone hack away then an incapable pitcher struggling to lay a bunt down.

national league=baseball...

american league= tee ball...ok...well maybe not that bad...but basically the only strategy is lefty-righty matchups

One of the stupidest things I've read in a while.

then please explain the mountains of strategy in american league baseball :whistle

i think i'm in favor of the DH..i like watching the game with nine hitters who can hit well. a lot of pitchers aren't hitters and they really don't have much time to work on hitting. so they really aren't professional hitters they're professional pitchers. i just think it's more enjoyable to see someone hack away then an incapable pitcher struggling to lay a bunt down.

pitchers who cant hit are a product of 2 things in my opinion...they dont work on it or dont care...as dontrelle has shown as well as some of the former braves(maddux and glavine), that if you work on it, you can get better at it...those guys realize their hitting benefits their team and if it benefits their team, then they get paid more...so the way i see it, pitchers who dont care about their hitting are letting money fall by the way side which is their own fault...having the DH penalizes guys like dontrelle who can hit and it removes alot of late inning strategy which im against...i love the little head game in the 7th, 8th and 9th

There are complelling arguments for both.

In some way, the DH makes the game more watchable and fan-friendly as you don't have innings completely wrecked by having a weak bottom of the order exacerbated by the pitcher.

On the other hand, having the DH makes pitchers more one dimensional and complete DH's one dimensional, and it takes any form of strategy (bunting, double switching, squeeze, sending a runner home from second on a single with 2 outs and the pitcher batting, etc.).

Personally, I don't think the DH is so egregious that it needs to go, but I wouldn't be upset if it left.

However, there are many National League teams (the Marlins in 2005 for example) that would have benefitted immensely from a DH, so my personal stance is that the DH either needs to be uniform for both leagues or taken away completely, and I don't really have a preference.

I don't like the DH, but I really don't mind the fact that it is present in one league and not the other. It makes things slightly interesting because of the contrast and of the different styles of play. But I would stronly object to the NL ever having a DH, and I will always been an NL fan.

Guest Juanky

As an NL guy I will always be anti-DH.

However, I think that having one in the AL and continuing without one in the NL adds spice to the games, and to interleague matchups. It's cool to have differences built in from league to league. In fact, I kind of miss the days when umpires would stick to one league.

I agree with Passion and Juanky. Having the DH in the AL but not in the NL helps the game of baseball. One of the most important things about baseball that separates it from the rest of the sports out there is that things are NOT always equal. There IS such a thing as home field advantage.

Think about it. What advantage do you REALLY have in hockey or basketball? The fan noise? Big whoop. You still play on a standard size playing surface. Even in football, the only real ?advantages? are weather and turf. In baseball, the only thing standard is the distance from base to base and pitcher?s mound to home plate.

The Red Sox clearly have a home advantage by building their team around the Monster in Fenway. The Yankees clearly have an advantage by building their team around the short porch in right field. The A?s clearly have an advantage by building their team around the cavernous playing space at the Coliseum. Almost every team in baseball can build their team around the DIFFERENCES in their ball park.

With that in mind, why shouldn?t we have this one extra distinction that goes beyond team to team and carries over between the leagues?

I agree with Passion and Juanky. Having the DH in the AL but not in the NL helps the game of baseball. One of the most important things about baseball that separates it from the rest of the sports out there is that things are NOT always equal. There IS such a thing as home field advantage.

Think about it. What advantage do you REALLY have in hockey or basketball? The fan noise? Big whoop. You still play on a standard size playing surface. Even in football, the only real ?advantages? are weather and turf. In baseball, the only thing standard is the distance from base to base and pitcher?s mound to home plate.

The Red Sox clearly have a home advantage by building their team around the Monster in Fenway. The Yankees clearly have an advantage by building their team around the short porch in right field. The A?s clearly have an advantage by building their team around the cavernous playing space at the Coliseum. Almost every team in baseball can build their team around the DIFFERENCES in their ball park.

With that in mind, why shouldn?t we have this one extra distinction that goes beyond team to team and carries over between the leagues?

ok...its a little off the topic...but i believe there is a huge advantage for homefield in all sports, but for different reasons...In hockey, the home team gets to matchup its players during line changes, in basketball...well just watch the heat and their dominance at home...i mean there has to be something to that...and D-A-V-I-D- H-A-S-S-E-L-H-O-F-F might indicate being home has an advantage....and in football...dont under estimate crowd noise in football...when your team can hear themselves for playcalling it makes the game much easier then when you are in the corner of the endzone and cant hear yourself think...with all that said...there is no bigger homefield advantage than getting to bat last and the style of play you encorporate to your ballpark

Should had made a poll out of this.

No, not everything in life has to be a poll.

:lol :lol :lol

The thing that bothers me most about the DH rule is it allows AL pitchers to throw at people but not necessarily have any repurcusions themselves (their teamates may get thrown at but its not the same). Looking forward to someone arguing this aspect of it.

Anyone noticed how Pedro's tactics have changed lately? :mischief2

Should had made a poll out of this.

No, not everything in life has to be a poll.

:lol :lol :lol

The thing that bothers me most about the DH rule is it allows AL pitchers to throw at people but not necessarily have any repurcusions themselves (their teamates may get thrown at but its not the same). Looking forward to someone arguing this aspect of it.

Anyone noticed how Pedro's tactics have changed lately? :mischief2

Like hitting Jose GUillen 2 times in a game? Pedro's not afraid of anyone.

*edited for historical accuracy.