NL Cy Young

Lefty

With 33 games left for the Fish, I believe Johnson (pitching tonight) will have 8 more starts. He is currently 11-6 with a league leading 2.90 ERA.

Judging by current stats, Carlos Zambrano would 'probably' be the Cy Young if the season ended today. Brandon Webb is a close 2nd; Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson are probably up there at 3rd. John Smoltz also deserves consideration.

Here are the 'contenders' stats:

Zambrano 14-5 3.31 ERA 1.28 WHIP

Webb 13-5 2.99 ERA 1.20 WHIP

Carpenter 12-6 2.96 ERA 1.05 WHIP

Johnson 11-6 2.90 ERA 1.27 WHIP

Smoltz 12-6 3.36 ERA 1.12 WHIP

Let's face it--voters don't give a crap about WHIP, that's just a stat I like to look at to help me gauge a pitcher's value and skill.

You can see how bunched up everything is. In fact, if Zambrano has a bad outing, he falls back with the rest of them...and I'm not entirely certain Webb isn't already the #1 candidate. It's hard to tell, because those jackass voters love the win total.

Anyway, I think if JJ can win 6 of his last 8 games (maybe go 6-1), then his record will be 17-7; his ERA will presumably drop to around 2.5-2.6 (estimate). And unless Webb or Zambrano absolutely shut down opponents (and either wins 19 or more), that record and ERA should get him the Cy Young bid. Of course, winning 6 games won't be easy, but I think he can--especially with the pressure of Wild Card chase on all the pitchers.

Just something to think about to pass the time I guess...

And I also curse the baseball Gods for not allowing Dontrelle's 2005 campaign to occur this year. He would have the Cy Young locked up easily.

that'd be awesome if we snagged a bunch of awards, ex. : Uggla for ROY, Cabrera for MVP, JJ for Cy Young, Borowski for Comeback player of the year. oh the possibilities......

As sweet as any award would be, I think its still pretty rewarding that so many of our guys are even mentioned in all those catergories considering the year everyone said we would have. :notworthy

Well from looking at my fantasy team new, it says that Webb will pitch tonight then leave the team.. Here it is,Aug 28 Updating a previous item, The Arizona Republic's Bob McManaman is reporting Arizona Diamondbacks SP Brandon Webb will make his Aug. 28 start against the San Diego Padres and then will likely take bereavement leave from the team.

Aug 28 Updating a previous item, The Arizona Republic's Bob McManaman is reporting Arizona Diamondbacks SP Brandon Webb will make his Aug. 28 start against the San Diego Padres and then will likely take bereavement leave from the team.

Lost a close friend in the Kentucky plane crash... man, that sucks.

As long as JJ keeps getting run support and solid relief I think there is a good chance he will win most of his remaining games and be a serious Cy Young candidate if not the front runner.

If we stick with a 5-man rotation, Johnson will have six starts left against teams he has beat pretty convincingly this season ? the Brewers, Mets and Phillies.

The crazy thing is if he pulls this off and Verlander pitches strong for the rest of the season we could see an Cy Young/ROTY in both the AL and the NL.

Do you think the voters will take into account that Josh Johnson (21 starts) has less starts than Webb(27) and Zambrano(28) while only having 2 less wins than them?

Of the 4 serious potential Cy Young candidates (Zambrano, Carpenter, Webb, and Johnson), JJ has the 2nd highest Ks per Inning ratio.

Zambrano .977 Ks/Inning

Johnson .871 Ks/Inning

Carpenter .812 Ks/Inning

Webb .736 Ks/Inning

JJ has certainly turned heads this year. His control and ability to battle is immense.

But his best stat? Hitters hit better off him the first time around then the second or third time around. :mischief

Rich and Tommy had it last night, I don't have the stats on me right now.

I saw that too. The second time around they hit like .252 and the 3rd its like 2.15 or something.

JJ has certainly turned heads this year. His control and ability to battle is immense.

But his best stat? Hitters hit better off him the first time around then the second or third time around. :mischief

They showed that stat for Capuano(?) I think, but I don't remember seeing it for Johnson.

They showed that stat for Capuano(?) I think, but I don't remember seeing it for Johnson.