Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NL Cy Young

Featured Replies

With 33 games left for the Fish, I believe Johnson (pitching tonight) will have 8 more starts. He is currently 11-6 with a league leading 2.90 ERA.

 

Judging by current stats, Carlos Zambrano would 'probably' be the Cy Young if the season ended today. Brandon Webb is a close 2nd; Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson are probably up there at 3rd. John Smoltz also deserves consideration.

 

Here are the 'contenders' stats:

 

Zambrano 14-5 3.31 ERA 1.28 WHIP

Webb 13-5 2.99 ERA 1.20 WHIP

Carpenter 12-6 2.96 ERA 1.05 WHIP

Johnson 11-6 2.90 ERA 1.27 WHIP

Smoltz 12-6 3.36 ERA 1.12 WHIP

 

Let's face it--voters don't give a crap about WHIP, that's just a stat I like to look at to help me gauge a pitcher's value and skill.

 

You can see how bunched up everything is. In fact, if Zambrano has a bad outing, he falls back with the rest of them...and I'm not entirely certain Webb isn't already the #1 candidate. It's hard to tell, because those jackass voters love the win total.

 

Anyway, I think if JJ can win 6 of his last 8 games (maybe go 6-1), then his record will be 17-7; his ERA will presumably drop to around 2.5-2.6 (estimate). And unless Webb or Zambrano absolutely shut down opponents (and either wins 19 or more), that record and ERA should get him the Cy Young bid. Of course, winning 6 games won't be easy, but I think he can--especially with the pressure of Wild Card chase on all the pitchers.

 

Just something to think about to pass the time I guess...

 

And I also curse the baseball Gods for not allowing Dontrelle's 2005 campaign to occur this year. He would have the Cy Young locked up easily.

Basically JJ needs to get 16+ wins, keep his ERA below 3 and have either Webb or Zambrano lose a game or two and he's got a real good shot.

I'd probably give it to Carpenter if the season ended now.. that 143 K/35 BB ratio is phenominal.

Big game tonight. Beat Ben Sheets and you will def get some notice.

 

I think beating Holiday,Pedro,Maddux got him some notice why not add Ben sheets to the list

I think it's a three player race between (in order) Webb, Zambrano and JJ.

 

With as bad as all of the cardinals pitching has been, Carpenter has to be on the shortlist, imo.

that'd be awesome if we snagged a bunch of awards, ex. : Uggla for ROY, Cabrera for MVP, JJ for Cy Young, Borowski for Comeback player of the year, beinfest executive of the year, not to mention silver sluggers/gold gloves ,oh the possibilities......

that'd be awesome if we snagged a bunch of awards, ex. : Uggla for ROY, Cabrera for MVP, JJ for Cy Young, Borowski for Comeback player of the year. oh the possibilities......

 

As sweet as any award would be, I think its still pretty rewarding that so many of our guys are even mentioned in all those catergories considering the year everyone said we would have. :notworthy

Well from looking at my fantasy team new, it says that Webb will pitch tonight then leave the team.. Here it is,Aug 28 Updating a previous item, The Arizona Republic's Bob McManaman is reporting Arizona Diamondbacks SP Brandon Webb will make his Aug. 28 start against the San Diego Padres and then will likely take bereavement leave from the team.

Aug 28 Updating a previous item, The Arizona Republic's Bob McManaman is reporting Arizona Diamondbacks SP Brandon Webb will make his Aug. 28 start against the San Diego Padres and then will likely take bereavement leave from the team.

Lost a close friend in the Kentucky plane crash... man, that sucks.

As long as JJ keeps getting run support and solid relief I think there is a good chance he will win most of his remaining games and be a serious Cy Young candidate if not the front runner.

 

If we stick with a 5-man rotation, Johnson will have six starts left against teams he has beat pretty convincingly this season ? the Brewers, Mets and Phillies.

 

The crazy thing is if he pulls this off and Verlander pitches strong for the rest of the season we could see an Cy Young/ROTY in both the AL and the NL.

he has about 50 less innings pitched than some of the other guys since he started out in the pen. :mad

 

but if he makes all the rest of his starts & keeps up the ERA he's got a good shot at it. if it's close though, it'll go to one of the veterans.

if JJ gets to 15+ wins, keeps his ERA down (and still has the best ERA in the bigs), and gets his innings up a closer to the big guys.

Do you think the voters will take into account that Josh Johnson (21 starts) has less starts than Webb(27) and Zambrano(28) while only having 2 less wins than them?

 

Of the 4 serious potential Cy Young candidates (Zambrano, Carpenter, Webb, and Johnson), JJ has the 2nd highest Ks per Inning ratio.

 

Zambrano .977 Ks/Inning

Johnson .871 Ks/Inning

Carpenter .812 Ks/Inning

Webb .736 Ks/Inning

JJ has certainly turned heads this year. His control and ability to battle is immense.

 

 

But his best stat? Hitters hit better off him the first time around then the second or third time around. :mischief

 

Rich and Tommy had it last night, I don't have the stats on me right now.

JJ has certainly turned heads this year. His control and ability to battle is immense.

 

 

But his best stat? Hitters hit better off him the first time around then the second or third time around. :mischief

 

Rich and Tommy had it last night, I don't have the stats on me right now.

 

 

I saw that too. The second time around they hit like .252 and the 3rd its like 2.15 or something.

  • Author

JJ has certainly turned heads this year. His control and ability to battle is immense.

 

 

But his best stat? Hitters hit better off him the first time around then the second or third time around. :mischief

 

Rich and Tommy had it last night, I don't have the stats on me right now.

 

They showed that stat for Capuano(?) I think, but I don't remember seeing it for Johnson.

JJ has certainly turned heads this year. His control and ability to battle is immense.

 

 

But his best stat? Hitters hit better off him the first time around then the second or third time around. :mischief

 

Rich and Tommy had it last night, I don't have the stats on me right now.

 

They showed that stat for Capuano(?) I think, but I don't remember seeing it for Johnson.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.