Gabbing With Gaby

Gaby Sanchez

Hey everyone. My name is Gaby Sanchez and I am writing to you from Peoria. I am playing for the Javelinas and am really excited to be on a team with all this talent. Unfortunately, we haven?t won a game yet.

A little background info. I was born and raised in Miami, played high school ball at Brito, played college ball at the University of Miami and am thrilled to be a part of the Marlins organization.

I got drafted in 2005 and played for the Jamestown Jammers in the New York-Penn League. I had a pretty decent year and I was able to accomplish many of the first-year goals I had set for myself. I batted .355, but only hit five home runs. I vowed to work on my power in the off-season.

Last season started off good also. I started off in Greensboro on a team that had lots of first-rounders. I hit well in the beginning of the season, but right before the All-Star break, I broke my hand. I was upset because I really wanted to be a part of the All-Star game, but I guess there is always next year. I left North Carolina with a .317 average.

I did my rehab in Jupiter and when I was better, I played for a few weeks with the Hammerheads. But, just a few weeks later, I broke my foot rounding third base. It was hard to be back on the sidelines, but I know that getting hurt is just a part of the game. Now, I am back and 100 percent healthy and it feels great.

Arizona has been pretty fun so far. I have a nice place with a couple of roommates, Brian Cleveland and Yunel Escobar.

It?s great to be back in action. We have played two games so far. I have done alright. I am currently 3-for-7 with a double. Your batting average changes so much early in the season. Just one hit can bump you 100 points. It?s crazy.

Alright, well I am going to get going, but please feel free to ask me any questions. I hope to make you guys proud over here in Arizona.

This is awesome that you would take time out of your busy schedule to entertain questions from us. I really appreciate all the info you give us as I am not as educated about the AFL as others.

Once again thanks for taking the time Mr Sanchez. Hope you have a great season and look forward to seeing you in Spring Training.

I emailed this to you, but I figure I would write it here as well:

What effect did your injuries have on your struggles in Jupiter this year? Was it tough adjusting to all those good young pitchers in that league like Anthony Swarzak, Kevin Slowey, and Scott Elbert.

first of all, thanks for doing this. all of us marlins fans are real appreciative to get an look from the inside, and hope you get through the minors ASAP. :D

you guys got your first win tonight... hell of a game for Carroll and the rest of the team. was this the biggest score of any game of your minor league career?

any tips on how to become a big-leaguer? (I'm 15 years old).

start taking walks now :thumbup

what do you mean...take walks as in improve my speed? ... :mischief2

no lol... get some plate discipline

ooo ok. ya that's a good idea, especially if I want to play for the fish :thumbup

Gaby, welcome to the site. Great to have another quality player post here.

I saw your two walk off homers in Greensboro in April this year (which were awesome by the way even on the freakin rainy/cold night) Probably a couple of the best baseball games I've ever been to.

Couple questions: I know you've only been a professional baseball player for a little mroe than a year, but what is your most memorable experience so far.

And I know I have been critical of the defense (although from what I saw you improved at 1B as the year went on) is that something you are working on this offseason? Do you see yourself at 1B in the future or another position? What are some of your main goals for this offseason?

Best of luck in the AFL.

Thank you for being here Gaby :)

Does it give you heart that players like Uggla and Nolasco were noticed through the AFL last year and ended up in the big leagues?

I would love to see you and Mike Jacobs in a plantoon this year like Big Mike and Wes Helms had.

Nolasco didn't play in the AFL. Never has.

I'd like to see Gaby at 1B for the Marlins in the spring. Keep proving yourself in the fall. Nice win in the 17-15 slugfest last night.