Beer is my friend.

Bradcore

i am enjoying Rising Moon Blue Moon Spring Ale and it is fantastic. I recommend it to everyone.

Blue Moon is branching out, eh?

I have had the Full Moon, Harvest Moon, and Rising Moon. Harvest moon was gross, Full moon as an okay winter ale and Rising Moon is great. It reminds me of a lighter Elephant. Not as good as Elephant, but still pretty good.

My wife got me a membership in Malt of the Earth. You can save yourself an @ssload of money by reading their picks and buying 1 bottle of each at your local distributor. I pretty much hate pilsners, for example, and find myself looking at 2 more bottles of this disgusting brew. I also dislike just about anything made by Otter Creek and find Left Hand undewhelming in their offerings. So, this was a really bad month. Here's a link where you can see what's coming up for next month [February doesn't ship until the 25th and takes 5-7 business days so that's my March beer]:

http://www.beermonthclub.com/featuredbeers.htm

Looks like a much better offering.

Here are their previous beers:

http://www.beermonthclub.com/pastbeernews.htm

February looks like it should be a great month, can't wait to read your reviews. I'll buy whatever you rank the highest.

i am enjoying Rising Moon Blue Moon Spring Ale and it is fantastic. I recommend it to everyone.

I have had the Full Moon, Harvest Moon, and Rising Moon. Harvest moon was gross, Full moon as an okay winter ale and Rising Moon is great. It reminds me of a lighter Elephant. Not as good as Elephant, but still pretty good.

What is Elephant? Do you mean delirium, with the pink elephant logo? If not, you definitely need to find yourself some delirium nocturnum, you'll never be able to enjoy a blue moon again.

What is Elephant? Do you mean delirium, with the pink elephant logo? If not, you definitely need to find yourself some delirium nocturnum, you'll never be able to enjoy a blue moon again.

Just Elephant, by Carlsburg I think. But the brand is called Elephant, it is a very good english beer. I haven't had it, but I will have to find it and try it.

I've had Elephant. Yes, it's a Carlsberg product. My friend really loves it but I am not a big fan. It's a fairly strong lager (like 7 percent I think) and I don't think there is much of a taste to mask the alcohol (unlike the better imports).

I wouldn't recommend it. Isn't it Danish, not English though?

I wouldn't recommend it. Isn't it Danish, not English though?

Yeah, Carlsberg Brewery is in Copenhagen. I'm not a fan of the style so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I felt like it tasted kind of like O'Douls if someone had spiked it on you.

Wait...you have actually drank an O'Douls before??? How the hell did this happen?

I also had my first Sapporo the other night. Thought it was very subpar. It tasted very plainly to me...too simple. I didn't pair it with any food so perhaps I missed out a bit, but I honestly don't think it tastes better than any of the cheap American macrobrews I've had.

I agree completely. I had it at a sushi bar and thought it went horribly with the food, but I am sure it was sold more because of country of origin rather than style of food.

I've never seen that on the menu at any sushi place I've been to. I'll have to look for it.

Yeah, I don't think you ever will. This might be the perfect BYOB to a sushi place opportunity. I'll get warm saki with my sushi when I go out but after having one of these I bought one for my take out? It was the perfect pairing. I was thinking about sending an email to Dogfish Head to tell them about this massive market they are missing out on. :mischief

Any idea for good beer with Thai. I know a great BYOB thai place but nothing to pair with.

Actually, the 60 minute IPA should go pretty well with Thai. If you like Saisons, the Ommegang Hennepin is a solid match. In general, you want something a little lighter on the palate. Heck, even your favorite light beer [sam Adams maybe?] should be a decent pairing.

[Looking back - I wasn't a huge fan of the 90 minute either.]

Any idea for good beer with Thai. I know a great BYOB thai place but nothing to pair with.

Actually, the 60 minute IPA should go pretty well with Thai. If you like Saisons, the Ommegang Hennepin is a solid match. In general, you want something a little lighter on the palate. Heck, even your favorite light beer [sam Adams maybe?] should be a decent pairing.

[Looking back - I wasn't a huge fan of the 90 minute either.]

I do not drink a lot of light beers. The only one I really do enjoy is PAcifico and I do not know how will that will go.

I don't think that would stop most people from ordering a Sapporo. To the masses it's all about the name and origin. Sapporo is marketed very strangely though. It's the only premium (if you can call it that) option at most sushi joints and virtually every movie theater around here (that has a bar) serves those large cans. It's hard for me to imagine dropping $8.50 on a product that is so average.

It's a shame though. Maryland has some excellent sushi places, but consequently none are BYOB.

Asahi > Sapporo

Also has anyone had Sam Adams Double Bock? I dont know if its new, but I have never seen it before. I had some yesterday and its pretty good. Its also 8.8%

Also has anyone had Sam Adams Double Bock? I dont know if its new, but I have never seen it before. I had some yesterday and its pretty good. Its also 8.8%

Yeah. This was one of their first seasonal beers and won some award back in 2000 or 2001. It's not bad. I'm still looking for someone who can get me a bottle of some of their extreme beers [utopia, Millenium, Chocolate Bock, Triple Bock...].

• 2 weeks later...

went to the AZ Brew Guild Strong Beer Fest yesterday - some really good stuff

Stone had a pretty high % barleywine which I thought tasted much better than other barleywines i've had

Dogfish Head did a special taping at 4pm of one of their IPAs - thing came in at 20% and was incredible if you like hops - so was this other beer that blended 15 types of hops (think it was port hop 15 or something like that)

some good local companies as well - really liked the Prescott Brewery and Grand Canyon Brewery - even spent $5 on the grand canyon brewery t-shirt

was a great time with some really quality beer (and a couple that stung my tongue)

By the way - if any of you ever need me to ship you beer from Ommegang, just let me know. Their Chocolate Indulgence is insane and their Three Philosophers is already one of the more universally appreciated beers on this board.

http://www.ommegang.com

Picked up two 4 packs today:

Abbey Ale

Rare Vos

I ended up paying $10 for each 4 pack which seemed a little high to me.

How did you like these two? You have to keep an eye open for the Three Philosophers, which is a few notches above any other beer they make, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

BEERS OF THE MONTH FOR MARCH:

1. Alhambra Negra - 3.2/5

Tasting Notes:

Pours a nice deep red with little or no head. Smell of malts dominate the nose. Decent carbonation tickles the palate and the beer is deceptively light on the mouth. Finish is a bit dry but pleasant. I?d drink this again.

Aroma: 5/10

Appearance: 4/5

Flavor: 6/10

Palate: 3/5

Overall: 14/20

2. Coopers Best Extra Stout - 2.8/5

Tasting Notes:

Pours nice and dark with a light foamy tan head that dissipates quickly but leaves some laceing on the glass. You can see the sediments suspended in the murk if you choose to pour them in. Smell is faint sugars. Malty taste with a hint of bitter chocolate and a lighter than expected mouth feel ["eat with a spoon" my butt!]. The aftertaste is, unfortunately, faintly coppery. All in all this is an okay stout but I wouldn?t go out of my way to find it again.

Aroma: 6/10

Appearance: 3/5

Flavor: 6/10

Overall: 11/20

3. Harpoon Munich Dark

Tasting Notes:

Dark mahogany color; big head that dissipates quickly. Slight caramel aroma. Light mouthfeel, light sugars, some caramel, a hint of chocolate malt at the end. It was passable but not something I would run out to get.

Aroma: 5/10

Flavor: 5/10

Overall: 12/20

4. Casco Bay Winter Ale - 2.2/5

Tasting Notes:

Pours a coppery red with no head to speak of and a strong clover smell. No real body to speak of with a slick feel on the tongue. The finish has a slightly metalic aftertaste that is somewhat unpleasant. Not really a fan.

Aroma: 4/10

Flavor: 4/10

Palate: 2/5

Overall: 9/20

• 2 weeks later...