Beer is my friend.

Bradcore

I had the Tripel and it was too sweet for me. It was strong and decent, but after about 2 I was done. I can not do sweet/sugary beers. If you like sweet, which I think you do because you enjoy the strawberry ale and other things, I think you will enjoy it.

I had the Tripel and it was too sweet for me. It was strong and decent, but after about 2 I was done. I can not do sweet/sugary beers. If you like sweet, which I think you do because you enjoy the strawberry ale and other things, I think you will enjoy it.

We'll I'm taking a gamble with the strawberry beer. I've made beers that get around to around 8%. I think the strawberries might be enought to push it over 10%.

BTW we should have some sort of beer playoff. Set up some sort of chart and everyone has a week to play their match up. Someone just think of the rules.

Also, question for Jets...

How much is the initial investment of all of the ingredients, equipment, etc. to do this?

A basic starter kit is about $60. I imagine you have some sort of pot in your house that can hold atleast 1.5 gallons. If not you will need one of those. Down the line you could upgrade to glass holding tanks (carboys) from the plastic ones in the starter kit. You could also get a turkey frier because that can hold all 5 gallons. However the original kit is fine to start off.

After the initial investment the ingrediants for a 5 gallon batch (2 cases) of beer is between $20-$25. I typically add an additional 3.3 pounds of malts to my beer to make them stronger. Thats usually another $5-$10. So you are looking at it costing you about 50 cents a beer. The beers I've made (with execption of one) have turned out to be pretty good.

Its really not tough to do and its actually quite fun. The worst part is making sure that everything is santized, cleaning up and then bottling the beer. If you are interested I'll find the link for the beer kit I have.

Also, question for Jets...

How much is the initial investment of all of the ingredients, equipment, etc. to do this?

A basic starter kit is about $60. I imagine you have some sort of pot in your house that can hold atleast 1.5 gallons. If not you will need one of those. Down the line you could upgrade to glass holding tanks (carboys) from the plastic ones in the starter kit. You could also get a turkey frier because that can hold all 5 gallons. However the original kit is fine to start off.

After the initial investment the ingrediants for a 5 gallon batch (2 cases) of beer is between $20-$25. I typically add an additional 3.3 pounds of malts to my beer to make them stronger. Thats usually another $5-$10. So you are looking at it costing you about 50 cents a beer. The beers I've made (with execption of one) have turned out to be pretty good.

Its really not tough to do and its actually quite fun. The worst part is making sure that everything is santized, cleaning up and then bottling the beer. If you are interested I'll find the link for the beer kit I have.

I am pretty interested to just read more on it and stuff so a link would be awesome.

I might give it a try.

I have two fairly large pots I could use. As Godfather mentioned, I do live in an apartment building so offsensive aromas could be an issue. Whatever, it could be my revenge against my neighbors who constantly make disgusting smelling food or smoke. :lol

I might give it a try.

I have two fairly large pots I could use. As Godfather mentioned, I do live in an apartment building so offsensive aromas could be an issue. Whatever, it could be my revenge against my neighbors who constantly make disgusting smelling food or smoke. :lol

Its really not that bad of smell. It goes away just like when you are cooking.

http://www.beer-wine.com/beer-brewing-kit.html

You can order it online from that site. They also sell alot of supplies just incase there isnt a home brew store near you.

The kit is called "True Brew" so you may be able to find it cheaper on another site.

thanks for the link. Talked to my friend last night, he says he has made a few good beers and its just a pretty fun process to do.

I made my monster last night. I think its the first time I didnt have a spill or have the beer boil over. I added an additional pound of amber rock candy. It will surely clear the 10% mark. Hopefully it will taste good.

Amber Rock Candy, is that even legal?? How the hell did you come up with that one??

I made my monster last night. I think its the first time I didnt have a spill or have the beer boil over. I added an additional pound of amber rock candy. It will surely clear the 10% mark. Hopefully it will taste good.

Amber Rock Candy, is that even legal?? How the hell did you come up with that one??

They had some at the store. I guess if you try making the Belgium strong ales you are supposed to make it. I just grabbed a bag and asked the guy if it would sabotage the taste of the beer. He said that it wouldnt but it would make it stronger.

Why would it be illegal? Isn't it just crystalized candy you could get at any candy store?

:lol I didn't really mean "illegal" just illegal in a...Candy shouldn't be in beer type of way. One of those type of comments that don't translate well over the internet, I guess.

Why would it be illegal? Isn't it just crystalized candy you could get at any candy store?

:lol I didn't really mean "illegal" just illegal in a...Candy shouldn't be in beer type of way. One of those type of comments that don't translate well over the internet, I guess.

:lol

My mistake.

Seriously though, I'm sure he could find a cheap hydrometer for under $20 and measure how potent his baby really is. :mischief

Actually one comes in the kit...

This thread is about to fall off of the first page. I was just wondering if anyone's tried/brewed anything new?

I've been recommended Tripel Karmeliet by a friend. I hope to pick up a bottle soon. Anyone tasted it?

I am going to measure and filter my monster beer later today. I'll let you know its preliminary gravity reading.

Its not new, but I did have Yuengling this weekend. Yuengling only sells to a few states and mine isnt one of them. The closest one is new york, so its a treat for me to get some.

Speaking of micros and the fact that you are in New England, have you tried Magic Hat? It's gotten really popular in my area and I'm not really a fan of it. I've tried #9, Circus Boy, Lucky Kat, and Hocus Pocus and wasn't impressed with any of them.

I was a big fan of Magic Hat when I first got into things besides bud and bud light. After a while they can get boring. I do like potion #8 and the #9 is pretty classic. Circus Boy is okay if you only have a few. I have never had Lucky Kat though.

I suppose it depends on the situation. I could never see myself buying it for drinking at home but at a bar with limited options I could drink it if the price is right.

The point I was trying to make is that casual drinkers seem to regard it as a solid craft brew, but as far as domestic craft micros go, I find it to be merely average or slightly below it.

It's not bad beer. Merely mediocre.

I agree, I think it is a good beer until you start trying other beers. I thought it was great and had awesome flavors until I started drinking beers with flavor.

Anyone ever had Alaskan Beer? Was watching The Thirsty Traveler (great show, btw, and jetsmania - it's on the fine living channel) and he was drinking it by the 56 oz bottles. The coolest thing about it was because they have a lack of hops in Alaska, they use spruce tree tips instead.

I'd love to get my hands on some, but don't think I've ever seen it around.

Anyone ever had Alaskan Beer? Was watching The Thirsty Traveler (great show, btw, and jetsmania - it's on the fine living channel) and he was drinking it by the 56 oz bottles. The coolest thing about it was because they have a lack of hops in Alaska, they use spruce tree tips instead.

I'd love to get my hands on some, but don't think I've ever seen it around.

I'll going to look for it. There's a store not too far away that carries over 800 beers. If they dont have it I will ask them to order it. Anything that comes in a 56 ounce bottle is just fine by me.

BTW who watches fine living? Is there something you want to tell us?

Its not new, but I did have Yuengling this weekend. Yuengling only sells to a few states and mine isnt one of them. The closest one is new york, so its a treat for me to get some.

I've been drinking it a lot lately down here, it's everywhere. I'm expecting to see it in vending machines.

Agree with Penguino, great at a dive bar where there's not much to pick from.