Beer is my friend.

Bradcore

are you guys a dogfish head fan?

I always see the IPA, and to me it is just too overwhelming with the floral. It's like smelling an herb rack. Interesting, and a nice contrast to have every once in awhile, but I can't drink more than one every couple of months. Guess I'm just not a fan of that style.

Yankeefan loves the stuff though, if I recall correctly.

Guilty as charged. Dogfish Head is easily my favorite brewery. If you don't like hoppy ales, stay away from IPA's in general but especially from the 60 or 90 minute. The polar opposite of an IPA is a sweet stout. Try the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. It will rock your world.

More beer posts to come.

I'll fund you, you make "organic" beer, sell it the global warming crowd, we make millions. They do already have organic wine, I'm sure they have organic beer but if not....

Wolaver makes Organic beer. It is utter crap. Then again, it is also an Otter Creek product and Otter Creek is awfully low on the quality chart in my book so... If you can make a quality "organic" beer, hippys will love you for ever.

Of course, the reason they make organic wine is to avoid the tanins that cause headaches and hangovers. Beer is a slightly different animal in this regard.

So first of all, sorry I've been gone for so long. Life sometimes has it's own plans...

Second, as I sit here enjoying my St Bernardus Abt 12, I have to thank TGF for giving this beer the props it deserves. It is a very good beer and I'm glad I bought.

Third, let me brag a little bit about the fact that I have three bottles of Rochefort 10, three bottles of Rochefort 8, and three bottles of Rochefort 6 all sitting in my beer cooler.

[brb - just finished another trappist of St Bernardus]

Crap. This is my last pour of the bottle. 10.5% ABV sneaks up on you in a liter bottle!

Anyway, if you want to see some of the beers I've been rating, feel free to check out my profile on ratebeer.com at: http://www.ratebeer.com/ViewUser.asp?UserID=51036

For those of you looking for a good pumpkin ale, I think Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale remains my favorite for the year.

Welcome back, Captain Beer! I'm browsing through your reviews right now, and I now need to get my hands on the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, I can't believe I've never had it before. I also love a good pumpkin beer in late October/November, I will keep my eyes open for the Smuttynose; I love the name too!

As far as jetsmania...he is a beer horde. He told me through IM he didn't want money, just a couple "risque" pics of me. I complied (I actually just sent some pics of Jonathon Taylor Thomas, he is too dense to know the difference)...yet still no beer.

Welcome back, Captain Beer! I'm browsing through your reviews right now, and I now need to get my hands on the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, I can't believe I've never had it before. I also love a good pumpkin beer in late October/November, I will keep my eyes open for the Smuttynose; I love the name too!

As far as jetsmania...he is a beer horde. He told me through IM he didn't want money, just a couple "risque" pics of me. I complied (I actually just sent some pics of Jonathon Taylor Thomas, he is too dense to know the difference)...yet still no beer.

:lol

That wasnt you?!? Your telling me I had to get a new computer moniter because of Thomas?

Anyways the beer came out pretty good. I let a few people sample it and they all thought it was good. However, I am making an adjustment. Last time I made it, I let the hops boil for too long. I'm going to remake the beer and then submit it to sam adams. So in a few weeks, I'll send out bottles to whoever wants some. This first beer I made wasn't quite ready. I also didnt take an accurate reading so I have no idea how strong it was.

Of course, the reason they make organic wine is to avoid the tanins that cause headaches and hangovers. Beer is a slightly different animal in this regard.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe tannins are removed from organic wine. Tannins essentially comes from the skins, stems, and seeds of the grapes themselves and thus natural elements. As long as the grapes are grown without pesticides or other additives I believe they can be considered organic.

I think you are confusing tannins with sulfites (but it is highly dubious that sulfites cause headaches and hangovers). Sulfites are a spontaneous product of fermentation (hence unavaidoble) but I would imagine that the artificial addition of more sulfites would be classified as being non-organic.

Personally I'm not sure if one thing causing headaches. I decanted a wine for about 4-5 hours the other night and got mild headaches.

Yeah - I meant sulfites. Thanks!

Also, check this out I just found on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wine_headache

i think it's pretty decent - my buddy who hooked me up with the chelada had a few white label samples this summer and then had a case of distributed stuff around his house recently

was back in my home town this past weekend and went to a couple of the wineries with my wife - noticed a flyer for a microbrewery that I had never heard of before - guy at the counter said they had only been open a few months, so it was detour time

Keuka Lake Brewing offered a 6 beer tasing for $2 and all were pretty good - right now it looks like their main point of distribution is through the brewery - looks to be real small batch type operation, aside from the tastings there are no pints to be had - you just stand at the counter, taste and then purchase - nothing bottled or anything like that

I picked up a growler of the red ale to fly back to AZ with me - made the trip safely and was enjoyed yesterday

Any of you honkies try bud ale yet? Its not too bad. I would compare it to a watered down Sam Adams. It is the only bud that isnt a twist off and actually tastes like beer (however, on a hot summers day I have been known to enjoy the king of beers).

I'd give it a 2.9/5

:lol at you. Come on!!?!? Bud Ale??? How dare you; It's Budweiser with a different label and a dollar more.

i think it's pretty decent - my buddy who hooked me up with the chelada had a few white label samples this summer and then had a case of distributed stuff around his house recently

was back in my home town this past weekend and went to a couple of the wineries with my wife

Where is your hometown?

Jetsmania: Actually there was a stretch in the summer where I bought bud on a regularly (although I wont admit it)

The_Godfather Thats not bad. I drink Bud Light and Bud Light Lime all the time. When I go out, I ask the bartender to put it in a glass. That way when people ask what I am drinking I can just say St. Bernardus 12 and appear to be cool.

Where is your hometown?

The big village of Bath, NY - I know there there is a forum member who is from around this area as well - believe it's Geemoney & Wayland for the match

Keuka Lake Brewing offered a 6 beer tasing for $2 and all were pretty good - right now it looks like their main point of distribution is through the brewery

Yeah, this is a branch off from the Wagner Vineyard. You can order through their website, though:

http://www.wagnervineyards.com/wag_order.t...iew&ct_id=9

of this I did not know

• 1 month later...

This thread should never go a month without action nor be on page 2. Come on its beer we're talking about!

Anyways the winters are out. Sam winter might be the best domestic beer produced. On draught its unreal.

I went to the discount liquor store I go to and picked up a 6 pack of Westmalle triples for $11.99. I also bought a bottle of Kapuziner. I've never had it before. Its a dark wheat beer... Its excellent.

Now for a quick beer making story. My fiance's dad and I brew our own beer. A few weeks ago we made a stout. He found an old english recipe that we decided to use. However, after we boiled it and were ready to let it ferment, it was brown. I asked him if he read the directions and he said no because he thought I read them. Well this recipe was only for 3 gallons of water, whereas the normal recipes call for 5 gallons. In an effor to salvage the beer, we poured a pound of brown sugar into the beer. The beers should be ready to drink next weekend so I'll let you know how it comes out.

This thread should never go a month without action nor be on page 2. Come on its beer we're talking about!

Anyways the winters are out. Sam winter might be the best domestic beer produced. On draught its unreal.

I went to the discount liquor store I go to and picked up a 6 pack of Westmalle triples for $11.99. I also bought a bottle of Kapuziner. I've never had it before. Its a dark wheat beer... Its excellent.

Now for a quick beer making story. My fiance's dad and I brew our own beer. A few weeks ago we made a stout. He found an old english recipe that we decided to use. However, after we boiled it and were ready to let it ferment, it was brown. I asked him if he read the directions and he said no because he thought I read them. Well this recipe was only for 3 gallons of water, whereas the normal recipes call for 5 gallons. In an effor to salvage the beer, we poured a pound of brown sugar into the beer. The beers should be ready to drink next weekend so I'll let you know how it comes out.

Never had the Sam Winter. What's the better draught, Sam Winter or the Spaten Oktoberfest?

Not sure how I feel about a beer with that much brown sugar, as it would just go straight to my thighs. Let us know how it turns out though...

So I'm not that into lambics, but on a suggestion I mixed a raspberry lambic with a Guinness the other night and wow! Outstanding, definitely worth the price of admission.

Never had the Sam Winter?!?!?! What is wrong with you? Please do yourself a favor and go get it, even if its bottled.

I'd give a slight edge to Spatan Oktoberfest.

I hate sam winter. I actually hate all Sam Adam's beers.

I will say recently I have been addicted to Leinenkugel, and I also want to try this new Bud Ale.

Never had the Sam Winter?!?!?! What is wrong with you? Please do yourself a favor and go get it, even if its bottled.

I'd give a slight edge to Spatan Oktoberfest.

I hate sam winter. I actually hate all Sam Adam's beers.

I will say recently I have been addicted to Leinenkugel, and I also want to try this new Bud Ale.

Hate Sam Adams? You must be crazy.

I recently bought a six pack of Cherry Wheat, and that was delicious. Not the manliest of beers, but whatever. Boston Lager is still one of my favorites. Very similar to Yuengling... Just without the history.

So I'm not that into lambics, but on a suggestion I mixed a raspberry lambic with a Guinness the other night and wow! Outstanding, definitely worth the price of admission.

Are we talking a real lambic here? Not that sweet stuff. I recommend a geuze for an interesting experience. Not for everyone.