Beer is my friend.

Bradcore

This lime trend is starting to catch on it seems. Obviously it's an attempt to mask the bad taste of light beer.

Recently at a Nats game I tried a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat and it tasted like fake oranges.

I had a miller chill about 6 months ago, and it was without a doubt the worst beer I have ever tasted. It makes bud light seem like a trappist beer.

On a different note, I just came back from a conference in Maine. They make some decent beer up there. I tasted Shipyard (export and summer), Geary's (summer), Gritty's (summer and ipa), Allagash (white and double) as well as Casco Bay Ipa. For the most part they were pretty good. Then I started thinking and correct me if I am wrong. The city of Portland has more breweries than the entire state of Florida! Thats pretty sad, imo

On a different note, I just came back from a conference in Maine. They make some decent beer up there. I tasted Shipyard (export and summer), Geary's (summer), Gritty's (summer and ipa), Allagash (white and double) as well as Casco Bay Ipa. For the most part they were pretty good. Then I started thinking and correct me if I am wrong. The city of Portland has more breweries than the entire state of Florida! Thats pretty sad, imo

I am a big fan of Shipyard and Allagash. Casco Bay has some okay stuff. I have yet to try anything from Gritty's that approached good.

I'm headed out to Cooperstown for Memorial Day Weekend tonight. I'm thinking about stopping by the Ommegang Brewery [which means I will drive there on auto pilot].

I felt a disturbance in the force. As if millions of taste buds cried out all at once and then were gone.

Something terrible has happened. I know it. And I believe it may have happened to TGF... :crying

I can still taste the little pricks of the cactus flavor on my tongue. I mean come on! How many other beers are A. as Authentic and B. have a flavor profile that lasts this long??

What do you guys do when you are out with friends and they want to hit up a dive bar? Get new friends? :mischief

Friends? :confused

So guess what I'll be drinking this weekend...

I have mixed emotions about this tasting. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I think I'll feel somewhat let down if I don't hear angels singing after my first sip.

This lime trend is starting to catch on it seems. Obviously it's an attempt to mask the bad taste of light beer.

Recently at a Nats game I tried a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat and it tasted like fake oranges.

I had a miller chill about 6 months ago, and it was without a doubt the worst beer I have ever tasted. It makes bud light seem like a trappist beer.

:lol Yeah I was going to post something similar.

What do you guys do when you are out with friends and they want to hit up a dive bar? Get new friends? :mischief

Friends? :confused

So guess what I'll be drinking this weekend...

I have mixed emotions about this tasting. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I think I'll feel somewhat let down if I don't hear angels singing after my first sip.

You havent tasted it yet!?!?

Its the finest beer I have ever tried. The rochefort 8 is just as good as the 10.

It costs $1 per ounce and it's not like I can find it anywhere! lol

But yes. Yes I have tasted it.

:notworthy

Aroma: 8/10

Appearance: 5/5

Flavor: 10/10

Palate: 5/5

Overall Impression 19/20

Total Score: 4.7/5

Tasting Notes:

Pours a deep brown with a nice finger tall head. The smell is slightly sweet with almost a hint of bourbon. I took a nice healthy swig and held it in my mouth for a bit to feel a creamy softness. The alcohol is evident from the first sip with a malty raisin taste that you almost want to chew. As strong as this beer is, you aren?t overwhelmed by the light undertone of alcohol making this a very drinkable glass of beer. I understand the raving reviews. From the first pour to the syrupy finish to the lacing left on the glass, this is an AMAZING beer.

It costs $1 per ounce and it's not like I can find it anywhere! lol

But yes. Yes I have tasted it.

:notworthy

Aroma: 8/10

Appearance: 5/5

Flavor: 10/10

Palate: 5/5

Overall Impression 19/20

Total Score: 4.7/5

Tasting Notes:

Pours a deep brown with a nice finger tall head. The smell is slightly sweet with almost a hint of bourbon. I took a nice healthy swig and held it in my mouth for a bit to feel a creamy softness. The alcohol is evident from the first sip with a malty raisin taste that you almost want to chew. As strong as this beer is, you aren’t overwhelmed by the light undertone of alcohol making this a very drinkable glass of beer. I understand the raving reviews. From the first pour to the syrupy finish to the lacing left on the glass, this is an AMAZING beer.

You win at this game. Awesome review of one of my favorite beers. Do you have a write up on my favorite beer, St Bernardus Abt 12?

I love rocherfort 10. The problem is that it is expensive. It usually goes for 7.99 for a 11.20 ounce (33cl) bottle around me.

But... I just struck gold at one of the liquor stores. I just found Chimay reserve (blue) for $2.49 for the 11 ounce bottle! Thats a rediculous price. The 25 ounce bottle sells for $13 at stores around here. I bought the entire stash, sadly there were only 5 left when I found them. I rounded out a six pack with a $2.49 bottle of Duvel.

Speaking of prices, I wouldn't mind doing a price compare with some of you guys:

Chimay Blue (750 mL) = $11.99

Chimay Blue (33 cL) = $6.99

Duvel (750 mL) = $9.99

I have a Rochefort 10 on reserve but I bought it awhile ago and don't remember what I paid. Likewise for my St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but I think it was around $10 for a 750 mL bottle.

Speaking of prices, I wouldn't mind doing a price compare with some of you guys:

Chimay Blue (750 mL) = $11.99

Chimay Blue (33 cL) = $6.99

Duvel (750 mL) = $9.99

I have a Rochefort 10 on reserve but I bought it awhile ago and don't remember what I paid. Likewise for my St. Bernardus Abt. 12, but I think it was around $10 for a 750 mL bottle.

Chimay Blue 750 ml = $13.49

Rochefort 8 or 10 = $6.99

BTW I hit the deal of a lifetime today. Like I have mentioned before in this thread, I found a liquor store that has a discount aisle. I live on the border between RI and MA. The store I usually go to is located in MA. It has a huge beer selection. However the one in RI is trying to compete with it. Anyways the one in RI has a "discount section". In the past I have found Rocheforts for 3.50 and chimay (33cl) for 2.49. Sadly I only find three or four of the bottles. Today I found eleven trappist rochefort 8's for 3.50!!!! ELEVEN!!! I filled by basket with all of them.

BTW I also bought a huge bottle of Pozharnik Espresso Stout at $8.99. Its in the 92 percentile on rate beer. I'll post my review this weekend.

BTW I also bought a huge bottle of Pozharnik Espresso Stout at $8.99. Its in the 92 percentile on rate beer. I'll post my review this weekend.

I, for one, am eagerly anticipating your report!

Just had it yesterday. It pours nicely with not too much head. You can definetly smell the coffee in it. It also has chocolate and vanilla beans in it which clearly stand out. The beer is 10% but it hides its strength. In a lot of stronger beers you can clearly taste the alcohol. My overall impression was a very good one. I will certainly buy this beer again. 8.5 out of 10 .

I, for one, am eagerly anticipating your report!

Just had it yesterday. It pours nicely with not too much head. You can definetly smell the coffee in it. It also has chocolate and vanilla beans in it which clearly stand out. The beer is 10% but it hides its strength. In a lot of stronger beers you can clearly taste the alcohol. My overall impression was a very good one. I will certainly buy this beer again. 8.5 out of 10 .

Do you drink coffee? I only ask because I don't like the bitterness and I was wondering if this had that same bitter aftertaste.

The bar that I talk about in this thread that introduced me to these great beers, PRL, won best bar in Broward County in the Best of edition of New Times. And the one employee that works there won best bartender (the owner is the other bartender).

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/bestof/200...broward-520438/

You want three things from the perfect bar. 1.) You must be able to smoke inside. 2.) Your fellow drinkers should be fun, interesting, approachable, and represent all neighborhoods and backgrounds. 3.) They've gotta have a lot of beer ? like, over 100 varieties. In Hollywood, there's only one place that does all this right: PRL Euro Caf?. No matter what time you show up during business hours, from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., you'll be pleased. During happy hour, from 5 to 7, you get two-for-one drinks. We're not talking just domestic Rocky Mountain swill, either. Think Old Speckled Hen, Belzebuth, and other tasty treats from far-off lands. Pop by in the evening and the long, narrow space is shoulder-to-shoulder with other Euro-brew aficionados. It's an easy environment for mingling since you all share a love of good beer and a loathing for sh*tty domestic draft. On the weekend, walk into (and stumble out of) underground art shows and drum 'n' bass DJ sets ? all with a lit cigarette in hand. PRL might be heaven on Earth. It's definitely the perfect bar.

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/bestof/200...rtender-520452/

Men want her; women want to be her. Wait a sec... Women want her, too. We know, ladies, you're not gay; you just have a girl-crush on Julie. And who doesn't? Her bewitching green eyes. Her hair gelled into a little fauxhawk. An armful of ice cold Polish brews nestled in her glistening bosom. Just because PRL is a beer-and-wine kind of place doesn't mean the bartender doesn't need talent. Instead of memorizing some trendy shot every week, Julie spends hour after patient hour explaining the difference between a stout and a lambic, and she knows which pint glass or snifter to pour them in. Julie can beat you at chess while holding a snappy conversation ? and my God, the way she wields a bottle opener! Just as you begin to feel totally intimidated, she'll pull some sweet and dastardly trick, like telling you how much she loves her puppy. Come with lots of tip money.

Best bar ever.

This makes me want to drive down there just to visit. Has that bar been around for a while? How did I miss it? :(

Its been about three years now maybe? I don't know how well you know downtown Hollywood, but it is very hidden. Across the street from O'Haras, between the Ginger Bay Cafe, the reggae club and the Argentinian steakhouse, beefeaters I think its called.

• 1 month later...

Whats going on here? I had to go back 4 pages to find this.

Anyways I am going to brew again tomorrow. I'm thinking about making a honey strawberry pilsner or weizenbock. Aiming to make it over 10%.

I would like to try and purchase some :D

Ended up getting two six packs of Franziskaner. It's mid-90s today so I'm hoping it's a wise decision.

I got some of Rhode Island's finest, Narraganset Beer

What's their distribution like? Never heard of it.

Pretty much only locally I think. Normally the bars usually have Gansett and Newport Storm on tap.

JetsMania you have to try the Gansett on tap it is actually really good.

Also, I am in RI for like a week and I think we should have a MB.com get together and have some brews.