Marlins reacquire Benitez; send off Messenger to S.F.

So we traded a 25 year old middle reliever for a 34 year old mediocre closer. We already had a closer. And if he faltered, another came off the DL today.

Messenger has been statistically better than Benetiz this year.

A move that really didnt need to be made IMO, them paying Benetiz's salary notwithstanding.

I like Messenger a lot more than most here, but he has an ugly 1.5 whip. Benitez is a slight upgrade, I'd say.

I called it. It's Messenger per the Sun Sentinel. Good trade if only because I don't have to wath Randy pitch anymore.

:thumbup

and I called it before you...(see game thread) but since neither of us pulled the trigger on the deal it hardly matters.

btw, benitez was 7-7 in sv vs sv opportunities with a 2.00 era in april. he's had a lousy may but nothing like julio.

I called it. It's Messenger per the Sun Sentinel. Good trade if only because I don't have to wath Randy pitch anymore.

:thumbup

and I called it before you...(see game thread) but since neither of us pulled the trigger on the deal it hardly matters.

btw, benitez was 7-7 in sv vs sv opportunities with a 2.00 era in april. he's had a lousy may but nothing like julio.

Ok...I can share the credit :)

Anyway, a free Benitez....even better.

So we traded a 25 year old middle reliever for a 34 year old mediocre closer. We already had a closer. And if he faltered, another came off the DL today.

Messenger has been statistically better than Benetiz this year.

A move that really didnt need to be made IMO, them paying Benetiz's salary notwithstanding.

I like Messenger a lot more than most here, but he has an ugly 1.5 whip. Benitez is a slight upgrade, I'd say.

Messenger has a 1.43 WHIP. Benetiz is 1.44.

Messenger's ERA is 2.66. Benetiz is 4.67.

As part of the deal, the Giants will pay the remainder of Benitez's $7.6 million salary this season, according to a source with knowledge of the trade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6872914

so the marlins actually end up shaving payroll in this trade.

I forget how this works exactly but I think the Marlins are obligated to at least pay him the league minimum. I don't think it can be the Giants 100%. I could be wrong though.

Benitez has a 4.67 ERA in 19 games (17 1/3 innings) with nine saves in 11 opportunities. More importantly, he has alienated himself from teammates and has become a negative force in the club house, leaving Giants general manager Brian Sabean no choice but to move him.

I posted this is the game thread as well. negative force in the clubhouse?

Benitez has a 4.67 ERA in 19 games (17 1/3 innings) with nine saves in 11 opportunities. More importantly, he has alienated himself from teammates and has become a negative force in the club house, leaving Giants general manager Brian Sabean no choice but to move him.

I posted this is the game thread as well. negative force in the clubhouse?

I do like his 9 for 11 save opportunities. He was 9 for 10 as of two days ago.

I think he will do very well in a low pressure situation here on the marlins

Wow I love this trade, Craig just broke the news on the game, and I opened my eyes real wide, because I was afraid that we had traded a pitching prospect, but Messenger? ...pffft lol

Benitez was money in the bank his last time with us, and I don't see why he can't do the same now. Now, if he can get back to that form, we will have a heck of a bullpen with Gregg setting up games and Benitez closing...nice trade! (btw Beinfest, THAT is who you should have gotten in the first place, instead of OMGJULIO.)