August 14, 200719 yr OK. Let's try to look at some 08 FA's w/ and w/o spending $ on someone. With C Jorge Posada (He's staying a Yankee) $ C Ken Johjima C Pudge Rodriguez (I think he stays AL to be able to DH) $ 1B Mark Teixeira ATL (hmmm, we'll have to see how he fares as a Brave, good fielding 1B) $ 1B Carlos Delgado NYM (Failed last time as a Marlin, in my mind) $ 1B Jason Giambi NYY (no way he goes NL) $ 1B Nomar Garciapara LAD (too injured) 2B/1B Jeff Kent LAD (Would play 1B for us) 3B Alex Rodriguez NYY (I'd assume a) we can't afford him no matter what and b) he's staying AL or going Cubs to play SS) $$ LF Moises Alou NYM (too old? AL Bound?) LF Adam Dunn CIN $ (too much $ for Hammer #'s) LF Raul Ibanez SEA $ (Could be a solid pick up) LF Barry Bonds SF $$ (Can't afford him, but he'd bring fans to the seats, can he play LF at all anymore? I see him in the AL as a DH like many do) CF/RF Ken Griffey Jr CIN $ (Could he or Hermida play LF?) RF Juan Encarnacion STL (See Griffey) SP Mark Prior (Cheap pick up but is his arm Kranitzed?) SP Oliver Perez NYM $ (resurgance year might make him too costly) SP Kris Benson BAL (I bet we'd get him and tits mcgee cheaper than Bal did) SP Orlando Hernandez NYM (old as hell but still throwing) CP Brad Lidge HOU (washed up closers are our bread and butter) CP David Weathers CIN (see above, but still has it a bit) RP Derek Turnbow MIL (see above-above) RP Kyle Farnsworth NYY (more a set-up man than closer, needs to pitch in a game after a junk-baller, not a heat thrower) CP/RP Tom Gordon PHI (Could be a good set-up man still) RP LaTroy Hawkins COL (I just like LaTroy)
August 14, 200719 yr Johjima would be a decent pick-up, I guess... And Ibanez wouldn't be that bad either.
August 14, 200719 yr Johjima would be a decent pick-up, I guess... And Ibanez wouldn't be that bad either. Oh my god its my favorite namesake in the world.
August 14, 200719 yr Johjima would be a decent pick-up, I guess... And Ibanez wouldn't be that bad either. Oh my god its my favorite namesake in the world. Johjima is a really cool name.
August 14, 200719 yr Author These FA's were per: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2...ree-agents.html
August 14, 200719 yr Johjima would be a decent pick-up, I guess... And Ibanez wouldn't be that bad either. Oh my god its my favorite namesake in the world. Johjima is a really cool name. He meant my name.. B4P and I got the same name.
August 14, 200719 yr These FA's were per: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2...ree-agents.html The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2008 season. Players with 2009 options are noted with an asterisk.
August 14, 200719 yr These FA's were per: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2...ree-agents.html The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2008 season. Players with 2009 options are noted with an asterisk. Thread title: 2008 free agents.
August 14, 200719 yr I'll wait until the offseason to be disappointed thank you Seriously, things are bad enough already without that, lol...
August 14, 200719 yr These FA's were per: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2...ree-agents.html The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2008 season. Players with 2009 options are noted with an asterisk. Thread title: 2008 free agents. I'm under the impression he means for this off-season. But regardless.
August 14, 200719 yr I wonder what Lidge's pricetag would be for the Marlins? Lidge is a headcase, we don't need him.
August 14, 200719 yr 1B Carlos Delgado NYM (Failed last time as a Marlin, in my mind) $ beg pardon? :blink:
August 14, 200719 yr Author not as a player, but as a "super star" He hit 300 with 30 HR's, that's not failing as a player, he just never seemed to be the 'star power' we needed/wanted.
August 14, 200719 yr miami-dade boy Raul Ibanez would be hell-rific He would put up Alou like numbers when he was in his prime and is "relatevely" cheap for cheap teams
August 14, 200719 yr I wonder what Lidge's pricetag would be for the Marlins? As a life long Astro fan...and someone who just saw him turn a 1 run lead into a 4 run deficit all with 2 outs...I'm more than fine with Greggo.
August 14, 200719 yr 1B Carlos Delgado NYM (Failed last time as a Marlin, in my mind) $ beg pardon? :blink: yea...that one doesn't make much sense.
August 14, 200719 yr 1B Carlos Delgado NYM (Failed last time as a Marlin, in my mind) $ beg pardon? :blink: I was going to ask the same thing. How did he fail as a Marlin? That failure was a team effort.
August 14, 200719 yr That season was amazingly disappointing and Delgado was money that year... and thats the last im going to think about it. I'd love to see Alou come back even if hes not good in the OF anymore.... but the guy can still absolutely rake. He might be old but hes still a rock. A team in need of a stop gap OF will kindly give him 6+ mil for one season. Ibanez will get paid.. all the guys on the list are going to get paid. think we're going to need to lower the expectations.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.