Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Injuries- Mitre, McPherson

Featured Replies

Mitre lifted after just three batters

Right-hander experiences discomfort in throwing elbow

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

 

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- After facing three batters in his Grapefruit League debut, Marlins right-hander Sergio Mitre was lifted because of right elbow discomfort.

Projected to be one of Florida's top three starters, Mitre was removed after walking Baltimore's Nick Markakis on five pitches.

 

Immediately after the walk, pitching coach Mark Wiley was accompanied by team trainer Sean Cunningham and manager Fredi Gonzalez to the mound. Mitre was replaced by Daniel Barone, who inherited two runners on with one out.

 

The 27-year-old comes off a 2007 season in which he finished 5-8 with a 4.65 ERA in 27 starts. He also logged an MLB career-high 149 innings.

 

Mitre struggled with his command on Thursday at Fort Lauderdale Stadium. He walked Brian Roberts to open the first, and Melvin Mora then reached on an error, which scored Roberts, who had stolen second and third.

 

Walking Markakis marked the end of Mitre's day.

 

In 2007, Mitre went on the disabled list with a blister. He also pitched through a pulled hamstring. At the end of the season, he was shut down in the final weeks from what appeared to be fatigue.

 

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

 

McPherson suffers small setback

Potential third baseman feeling some discomfort in side

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

 

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Bothered by some discomfort in his side, Marlins third baseman Dallas McPherson is being held back from game action for a few days.

Formerly a highly touted prospect in the Angels system, the left-handed-hitting McPherson is vying for the Marlins' starting third-base job this spring.

 

He is competing with Jose Castillo and Jorge Cantu for the position vacated after Miguel Cabrera was traded in December to Detroit.

 

"Right now we're holding him back a bit," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "We're being precautionary."

 

The team is hopeful McPherson will be ready for his Grapefruit League game on Monday, when the defending World Series champion Red Sox visit Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Fla.

 

Gonzalez didn't know which side of McPherson is feeling the discomfort, and it is unclear if it is oblique related.

 

The team says that the setback is not back related. McPherson missed all of 2007 recovering from back surgery.

 

While McPherson is not yet ready for games, he is hitting off a tee and doing soft-toss hitting drills in the batting cage.

 

The Marlins have options on McPherson, Castillo and Cantu. While it is unlikely all three will make the team, it is a possibility. And whoever doesn't make the final cut could be optioned to Triple-A.

 

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

 

Welcome back baseball. :|

Ugh...I'm not liking either of those. I'm glad we're deep at the hot corner.

 

As for Mitre, I hope it's nothing serious that will be long-term. I don't think it will be though.

Ugh...I'm not liking either of those. I'm glad we're deep at the hot corner.

 

As for Mitre, I hope it's nothing serious that will be long-term. I don't think it will be though.

 

 

Having 3 guys compete is not deep. It just means there isn't one guy who is good. Our 3d base auditions are the ultimate "throw mud against the wall" philosophy put into action. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Dallas was a good signing because he cost nothing and offered upside.

 

Losing Mitre would suck. He's at worst a serviceable bridge to our next generation of talented pitchers. At best he's a close proximity to the player who looked really good the first half of last year. Arm pain at the beginning of spring training is never a good thing. Not to be all Debbie Downer and all.

I am not concerned about Dallas but with the Marlins's history of injuries the Mitre elbow pain is a huge concern. Usually those couple of games have become season ending. Well lets wait and see

I'm really not concerned if Mitre's injury is long-term or a day long. We are so deep in starting prospects it's ridiculous.

The Mitre injury I knew about but the Dallas I just found out a couple hours ago. Really sucks, hope he is able to play on Monday against the Red Sox.

Oh yeah. Welcome back Joe Girar...nevermind. GO FISH!

Going with the media again? Don't you ever give some blame to the less popular people like the minimum paid medical staff.

I'm more concerned about Mitre. But not all that much being so early and it being a very cold day. Dallas will be fine. But Cantu and Castillo made some pretty nice plays Wed night. If I had to pick a fav right now I would go with Cantu. Only because of his name. Imagine the conversations... "You guys can't compete in the NL East." "Cantu."

In all honesty, while I'm not happy about any injury, I'm glad it was them and not some of our more important players.

 

MLB.com says it was just tightness. Hopefully, it is something like he just didnt stretch his arm out enough and they will warm him up more before he throws. Mitre is one of my favorite Marlins just because of the way he looks. His hair, his gotee, if I were a batter I would be very nervous about digging in.

 

Here is hoping he is back in 5 days throwing again

I'm really not concerned if Mitre's injury is long-term or a day long. We are so deep in starting prospects it's ridiculous.

 

 

 

:banghead

 

I don't know what your point is... we have an entire rotations worth of MLB-ready prospects.

I'm really not concerned if Mitre's injury is long-term or a day long. We are so deep in starting prospects it's ridiculous.

 

 

 

:banghead

 

I don't know what your point is... we have an entire rotations worth of MLB-ready prospects.

 

 

Keyword is still prospects. Until they prove them selves at the major league level they will still be prospects. I'm not saying they can't, I'm just saying they haven't yet. I hope they can. This team really needs them to be ready.

I'm really not concerned if Mitre's injury is long-term or a day long. We are so deep in starting prospects it's ridiculous.

 

 

 

:banghead

 

I don't know what your point is... we have an entire rotations worth of MLB-ready prospects.

 

 

Keyword is still prospects. Until they prove them selves at the major league level they will still be prospects. I'm not saying they can't, I'm just saying they haven't yet. I hope they can. This team really needs them to be ready.

 

Well, there really is a difference between a MLB-ready prospect and just any other prospect... I mean, we have 5 guys that, yea, haven't been to the show yet, but are probably capable right now. If one of our starters goes down, I'm pretty confident one of the five MLB-ready guys can handle the league.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.