In the "You Never Really Know What's Going on Behind

yeah...in my opinion...winning come first from pitching, then defense, then hitting and thats how i would build a team if i were a GM

Then how do you justify this move?

Sounds like the love affair with Wood extends beyond this board. I don't get it.

How so?

There is a possibility that Casitllo is not a team player in 2008. Are you saying that the FO are Wood fanboy's that are driving Castillo out because of the Wood mancrush? That sounds pretty silly. Maybe Castillo has proved to be a clubhouse cancer.

This board has also been very "defense is overrated". Maybe defense can't carry Castillo on to the roster.

Yeah, it was a joke. Calm down.

first of all, seeing that nowhere else is reporting this move at all...im not sure that the rumor has any merit...and secondly...i think we would be stupid to do it

I mentioned somewhere up above that no one else has picked up the story and hours go by without any confirmation or even a hint of a confirmation.

Maybe Frisaro will be proved right but since yesterday he had Jacobs being traded and now this I can't figure out if he's sabotaging his career, being made a fool or or about to become the best baseball reporter in town. but now it's four hours later any nothing.

Does Frisaro have the story or is Frisaro becoming the story? Tune in tomorrow.

Just pure speculation, but I wonder if this move sets up Robert Andino to make the team as a backup. It seems to me that he really isn't starting material and maybe the Marlins have decided his time has come. The thought of Andino and Amezaga as defensive replacements/pinch hitter/pinch runners makes me drool. As good as Castillo is defensively, neither he nor Amezaga is really cut out to play shortstop. Personally, I don't really think that Wood belongs on a Major League roster.

Just a thought...

Is Cantu just a VERY minor upgrade over Castillo?

I find that hard to believe.

In his best season, Cantu was worth 4.4 wins according to WARP3. That season, appears to be a statistical aberration because his minor and major league record indicate nothing but one 400 at bat stint in AAA that show he can sustain that type of offensive production.

Castillo's career high WARP3 is 2.8, and his minor league record shows that he can at least play a bit better than he has thus far. He is also the superior defensive player.

Cantu's career high OPS is about 80 points higher than Castillo's, but there's no indication he can repeat that again. Castillo appears to have somewhat limited upside.

(Plus, everyone goes on about this great season Cantu had. It wasn't really that great of a season, mostly due to his complete unwillingness to take a walk.)

I would be extremely happy if Castillo was gone. All he'd be doing is stealing innings from better third basemen and innings from a better backup in Amezega.

Plus, I think Wood is a very good asset in the clubhouse as both a pinch-hitter and leader. A much lower-profile, infield version of Luiz Gonzales. I mean, he's a great 25th man... He came up with some very timely pinch-hits. And a few weeks in, if he isn't working out, no problem. Bring Andino up for a change. Maybe Frisaro is off and that's the FO's intention all along; save themselves the waste of Castillo with Andino, who is pretty much the same player with probably even BETTER defense.

Just pure speculation, but I wonder if this move sets up Robert Andino to make the team as a backup. It seems to me that he really isn't starting material and maybe the Marlins have decided his time has come. The thought of Andino and Amezaga as defensive replacements/pinch hitter/pinch runners makes me drool. As good as Castillo is defensively, neither he nor Amezaga is really cut out to play shortstop. Personally, I don't really think that Wood belongs on a Major League roster.

Just a thought...

I have to disagree. Amezega is probably the best defensive SS in our organization. He could probably start on many teams if it was just about defense. I agree with you about Wood though. Nice story last year, but enough already.

Just a thought...

I have to disagree. Amezega is probably the best defensive SS in our organization. He could probably start on many teams if it was just about defense. I agree with you about Wood though. Nice story last year, but enough already.

Yea, that is WAY off base with the Amezega statement. He's a fantastic center fielder, and he's much better at SS. That should give people some idea how good he is in the field.

In his best season, Cantu was worth 4.4 wins according to WARP3. That season, appears to be a statistical aberration because his minor and major league record indicate nothing but one 400 at bat stint in AAA that show he can sustain that type of offensive production.

Castillo's career high WARP3 is 2.8, and his minor league record shows that he can at least play a bit better than he has thus far. He is also the superior defensive player.

Cantu's career high OPS is about 80 points higher than Castillo's, but there's no indication he can repeat that again. Castillo appears to have somewhat limited upside.

(Plus, everyone goes on about this great season Cantu had. It wasn't really that great of a season, mostly due to his complete unwillingness to take a walk.)

yeah well, a .706 slg will earn you the benefit of the doubt, specially when you already have a 28 homer season on your resume.

Dang I was shocked when I read the article. First impression on reading it is that something might be going on with the organization and him.

Like 2003 said though, Castillo really has picked it up lately with the bat and his glove has always been there. Though Cantu is just a beast right now, with that being said the bat can only take u so far. We all know his defense is blahhh.

Trading Jacobs would be a good idea IF it brings us the piece that we need. Cody/Gonzalez to LF and Willingham to 1B or some type of platoon there?

Either way, reading the quote that it wouldn't surprise Castillo just makes me think some words were exchanged and their just not on the same page anymore.

Cantu deffinately deserves the Opening Day job but eventually his D could bite us in the butt.

well if willy cant hit lefities again this year, he can platoon with cantu at 1b, but we would need someone else at 3b. Which is something i was envisioning if jacobs is trade, but then it would make absoluty no sense to let Castillo go, unless they are really high on Mcpherson.

Just a thought...

Yea, that is WAY off base with the Amezega statement. He's a fantastic center fielder, and he's much better at SS. That should give people some idea how good he is in the field.

Regardless, having Andino onboard really frees up Amezaga to do what he does best: play all over the field. Besides, we have enough mashers on the team, our bench is best composed to be as flexable as possible and preferably stacked with speed (which besides Hanley is sorely lacking from the starting lineup) and defense. Castillo can provide the defense, but Andino to me is better. The problem, of course, is that he doesn't have much experience at 3B. Fortunately, Amezega can more than adequately fill the defensive side of the platoon there until the organization has time to evaluate McPherson. Furthermore, if he plays well in a part time role, we might be able to package him with a pitching prospect for a long term 3B prospect. If it doesn't work, send him back to AAA. Given Castillo's history of attitude problems, I'd prefer not to have him around anyway.

well if willy cant hit lefities again this year, he can platoon with cantu at 1b, but we would need someone else at 3b. Which is something i was envisioning if jacobs is trade, but then it would make absoluty no sense to let Castillo go, unless they are really high on Mcpherson.

They'll never platoon someone with Willingham, due to his former track record with lefties. Last year was simply a fluke IMO.

If anything, I think they're going to keep Cantu at third until McPherson is up and going. By then, they'll either keep Cantu starting (if he's having another 2005) or they'll platoon him with McPherson.

And I would absolutely be in love with a Jacobs trade. I REALLY want to see Ross full-time; his bat is soooo intriguing. If that doesn't work out, it's a welcoming shot for Carroll to start, or Gonzales to go full-time again (though I doubt that would happen. I'm sure his body can't hold up all year).

For what it's worth, I've checked all three South Florida newspaper websites, Google news, etc., and spoken to a couple of people and no one is either reporting/hinting/speculating this or they say "huh"?

As I said last night this is two in a row for Frisaro (Jacobs as tradebait the day before yesterday and Castillo last night) that no one else has so something has to be amiss here with either Frisaro or the South Florida press. Time will tell but the absence of any confirmation this morning speaks for itself.

I was going to say perhaps Dave Van Boring would comment because I know today's game is being broadcast but the only feed is from the Houston side so all we can do is wait to find out if this is a scoop by Frisaro or an unfounded report that might that have no basis in fact.

The story, for what it's worth is still up on the Marlins website.

I have to run but I did find the following story (link) regarding Castillo published March 17th in El Neuvo Herald that I used a on-line translator to read and besides referring to Miguel Cabrera as "the goatherder" it reads like this:

...And Gonz?lez hopes that these new faces contribute to reduce the defensive errors. In the waiting room the fish could use like substitute of the Venezuelan Miguel Goatherd to another compatriot, Jose Castle. "very I am made an impression with the glove of Castle. It has made a good work and it has made some difficult plays causing that they shine easy ", maintained Gonz?lez. Castle, that formed like campocorto but that it has played until in the gardens in the winter league of his country, fights by the titularidad with the Mexican Jorge Cant?, who has batted more in the spring than the South American. However, the philosophy of pitcheo and defensive over all the things that profess the Marlins could incline the balance in favor of Castle. In any case, if the offensive of Jeremy Hermida, Mike Jacobs,

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...&p_docnum=1

If someone could provide a real translation it would be great. Thanks in advance.

The way I read this is Fredi is speaking well of Castillo's work this spring and reiterating the point the defense is a priority this spring.

Rosenthal adds Mark Loretta as a possible third base acquisition for the Dodgers. Given their desire for a relatively affordable guy who can also handle second, Rosenthal has linked them to Ron Belliard and Esteban German previously. Loretta shouldn't be too hard to pry away from the Astros. Though he can't play second, Morgan Ensberg could be an option if the Yankees let him leave

Just saw that on MLBtraderumors.com. This sounds like a perfect trade partner if indeed Castillo is on his way out. Don't know what we can get back, but something is better than nothing. Will they still deal with us after the Cabrera negotiations?

If someone could provide a real translation it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Fredi's mission is clear: Improve the defense in '08 or the season will be longer and more difficult than the expectations.

Fredi has placed particualr emphasis on defense throughout ST. Last year the fish were the worst defensive team with 137 errors.

Fredi said "this should change and because of it this is where we have worked harder" and he especially remembers the mental errors during '07.

The Marlisn are dedicating more time to the fundamentals of defense.

Fredi: "We have changed a few things. We are emphasizing the basics. Additionally, we are dedicating more time to defensive work compared to last ST."

He noted that there are no magic tricks. It takes work and repetitions until the plays are done naturally and the errors are reduced.

Fredi: "It's more than having a different routine in that we work to have the practices continuous over and over again. This is the intention."

For '08, as it is becoming the norm, the Marlins will have new faces with the departure of some starters. Fredi expects the new faces will contribute to reduce the errors.

At 3B, the fish could replace Cabrera with Castillo.

Fredi: "I am very impressed with Castillo's glove. He has done a very good job and has made some difficult plays look easy."

Castillo, who came up as a SS but who has played in the OF in the winter leagues, is fighting for the starting position with Jorge Cantu, who has outhit Castillo this ST.

However, the Marlins' philosophy of pitching and defense over all else could tilt the balance to Castillo.

In any event, if the offense of Hermida, Jacobs, Ram?rez, Uggla and Willingham produces as expected, Gonzalez would have the answer with Castillo.

Fredi: "I don't know what is the percentage of a good glove in winning games, but I do think that you win in baseball with good defense and good pitching moreso than with hitting."

Hey Polo, thanks for the good read :thumbup

Anyways Castillo is the starting third baseman today.

For this story to come out last night and him starting today is really strange, at least to me. it isn't like Frisaro gave the reader the impression that Castillo wasn't making the team, he gave the impression the decision had already been made and if it has why not just give the playing time to Cantu. Any other team who wanted to see what Castillo had to offer (ex. Dodgers) already know or have had scouts watchng him already.

Tres' bizarre this whole thing.

yeah well, a .706 slg will earn you the benefit of the doubt, specially when you already have a 28 homer season on your resume.

It's interesting how a player can be discounted because he had just "one season" where he showed a very good deal of offensive output. I think its easy to combine a person's minor league record and say "aha, this is what this guy has done and therefore what this guy will do". I think you need to consider the circumstances behind what you're saying. Cantu had his "coming out" season at AAA Durham at age 22. Yes, everything else before that was pathetic indeed. You look at Castillo and see the inverse; great numbers before age 22 at the lower levels but a not-so-great season at AA at that age. Castillo was given plenty of chances at the big league level and has bombed ever since, while Cantu blossomed in 2005 and suffered an ankle injury in 2006 which hindered him all season long (we all saw that with Jacobs didn't we?). In 07, he had to actually compete for his job if I recall and I think it was Upton who supplanted him. I just don't see the love for Castillo when he has blown it against the tougher competition while Cantu has been very successful in the higher levels of professional baseball WHEN healthy. I don't think its fair to knock someone because they just happened to "click" at a certain time and didn't always display that potential before.

Also, I see people here giving too much focus on defense at 3rd. Its as if those 137 errors were committed there alone; this was a COMBINATION of bad defense. From what I see, most of the main guys who committed those errors are going to be back, so why just hold it against Cantu? Plug the man in and let him hack away, because judging from where he is going to hit its not a big deal if he isn't that big of a walk guy anyway.