Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JJ has officially reclaimed his spot as the Ace of the rotation

Featured Replies

For my money Josh Johnson has the makeup and stuff to be the Team Ace for the next 10 years. I know alot of people always look for the half empty glass with him, however start after start he provides quality performances and he just knows how to win. JJ is our Ace, we sure as heck missed him

He's been great. But he's also gotten a TON of run support. And he's still a BIT wild. He can still improve, which is kinda scary.

I love the way JJ has pitched, he is back to his 2006 form, too early to call him the ace again, but if he can get us to the playoffs, he will become our ace.

You know Eddie, JJ gives all the credit for his miraculous comeback to Alfredo Amezaga teaching him a fourth pitch. :brigginbounce

 

 

 

(j/k)

I personally don't like anointing aces... I mean, we've already done it... 3-4 times this year at one time or another... I would venture to say that I'd be comfortable saying we don't have one at all... we have 5 good pitchers that can give us a chance to win, that's all that matters...

I like him a lot also but I'm not ready to crown him Ace of the rotation. Ricky has been pitching all year and pretty consistently to consider him the "ace" of the rotation. But WTF do I care. We can have two aces! I'm interested to see what the Front office does with the rotation after this year. I think either Olsen or Miller will get traded. I'm thinking Olsen will be the odd man out. Just a feeling.

I personally don't like anointing aces... I mean, we've already done it... 3-4 times this year at one time or another... I would venture to say that I'd be comfortable saying we don't have one at all... we have 5 good pitchers that can give us a chance to win, that's all that matters...

 

exactly, all of our pitchers have shown "ace like" stuff at one point or another.

Give the guy a few more starts before you start claiming him as our ace. He has recieve alot of run support and thats always a boost of confidence for a pticher. He still has room to improve but you're right, he has done a hell of a job since coming back. He might be that missing piece we needed to make a run for the penant.

  • Author

You know Eddie, JJ gives all the credit for his miraculous comeback to Alfredo Amezaga teaching him a fourth pitch. :brigginbounce

 

 

 

(j/k)

Nooooooooo!

 

That is just to funny! :lol

The great thing about JJ is he beat the mets twice and phillies once. And the game against the phillies was against our arch rival jamie moyer.

So towards the start of the season everyone was calling Olsen the ace, then it was Nolasco, and now its JJ? Make up your mind people!

So towards the start of the season everyone was calling Olsen the ace, then it was Nolasco, and now its JJ? Make up your mind people!

 

 

Haha very true. Sanchez is the next candidate. Then Hendrickson :|

So towards the start of the season everyone was calling Olsen the ace, then it was Nolasco, and now its JJ? Make up your mind people!

 

 

Haha very true. Sanchez is the next candidate. Then Hendrickson :|

 

 

I vote Burke Badenhop! :thumbup

So towards the start of the season everyone was calling Olsen the ace, then it was Nolasco, and now its JJ? Make up your mind people!

 

 

Haha very true. Sanchez is the next candidate. Then Hendrickson :|

 

 

I vote Burke Badenhop! :thumbup

 

Hes not our ace. Hes the N.L MVP

So towards the start of the season everyone was calling Olsen the ace, then it was Nolasco, and now its JJ? Make up your mind people!

 

 

Haha very true. Sanchez is the next candidate. Then Hendrickson :|

 

 

I vote Burke Badenhop! :thumbup

 

Hes not our ace. Hes the N.L MVP

 

 

No CY Young?? He got robbed!

I was at the game today and JJ looked excellent. Especially considering he's coming off TJ and the last thing to come back is command. Velocity was strong through the entire game. Yes, he had a lot of run support, but he pitched tough with runners on and never let the Mets get back into the game.

 

While he may not be a true "Ace" right now, he definitely has the potential to be one the next few years :) .

  • Author

Ricky Nolasco has had a very good season, Miller and Tucker have incredible stuff, Olsen can pitch as well as any LHP in the majors, Sanchez has shown that when he is good he is great. However, JJ has something the others don't have...Every start of his he will provide a quality start (he did it in 2006 til he got injured) and the Marlins everytime he pitches have a great chance of winning. That cannot be said of any other Marlin starter. That is why he is the team Ace or has been til now

People greatly misuse the term "ace", calling a pitcher an ace in my book is the same as calling a position player a superstar; it should be used sparingly and with great care.

  • Author

People greatly misuse the term "ace", calling a pitcher an ace in my book is the same as calling a position player a superstar; it should be used sparingly and with great care.

Agreed

does anybody think that if he pitches great next year, he may get a long term contract like hanley?

does anybody think that if he pitches great next year, he may get a long term contract like hanley?

 

No, pitchers don't get long term contracts...

 

2-3 years, maybe, unlikely, but far more likely than anything along the lines of "like Hanley"

does anybody think that if he pitches great next year, he may get a long term contract like hanley?

 

No, pitchers don't get long term contracts...

 

2-3 years, maybe, unlikely, but far more likely than anything along the lines of "like Hanley"

 

Agreed. And it's a stance I like. But I still doubt it happens after next season. They will continue to sign him to 1 year contracts through his arbitration years. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if they did differently, I just don't expect it to happen.

A Phillies fan said this too me and he is somewhat on the spot he said the Marlins had 5# 2's

 

While I don't agree that all 5 are # 2's I don't think we really have a really strong pitcher that you can call an ace the closest one to it would have to be Nolasco though.

 

That being said Josh Johnson has pitched great.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.