Peter Gammons called the Marlins the favorites in '09

Erick

Don't know if anyone saw it...but Gammons says that if Maybin can contribute next year as he thinks he can...the Marlins should be the favorites in '09 with a rotation led by Nolasco, Johnson, Volstad, and Miller.

He said that in those words, basically.

Also...he mentioned Cody Ross moving to RF (not Hermida :blink: )...as well as the Marlins increasing their payroll, a little bit.

I watched it, and I believe he didn't call us the favorites, but said there was a POSSIBILITY that Maybin could make the marlins a serious contender for a title next year. He didn't even want to sound like he was predicting anything, because god knows nobody on ESPN can say the marlins will win anything, all he said was that we have a CHANCE of becoming a contender

Guys, if we're gonna win, it won't be with Cody. I know it hurts knowing how awesome it is to hear chants of CODY CODY CODY at the games, but this is the truth. He is replaceable. There are better players out there.

Huh? Of course there are better players out there, will we get them? Umm NO.... so Cody is the best option.

Anyways good to see our pitching staff is getting recognition... it will be a interesting 09.

Guys, if we're gonna win, it won't be with Cody. I know it hurts knowing how awesome it is to hear chants of CODY CODY CODY at the games, but this is the truth. He is replaceable. There are better players out there.

Huh? Of course there are better players out there, will we get them? Umm NO.... so Cody is the best option.

Anyways good to see our pitching staff is getting recognition... it will be a interesting 09.

Cody Ross earned a starting gig next year. As a result, either Willingham or Hermida most likely played their last game as a Florida Marlin today.

Along with Cody starting in either LF/RF. Would love to have Gonzo and Helms back!! I know noone gives them credit but they have a part in what the Marlins did this season.. According to what i read/heard, Helms would get on guys who would not run, practice hard etc! Thats the kind of leader we need!

Helms is 100% gone. The Marlins won't pick up his enormous option to be a bench player, and that means they cannot resign him until May 1st. He will easily find work on someone's bench during the offseason.

We need to keep Uggla, Ross, Amezega, Nolasco and Johnson. Willingham, Hermida, and Jacobs are the guys that need to go in order to keep the payroll down. I'm not sure if McPherson is under contract for another year, but I would like to see him take Jacobs spot at 1B (or Cantu can move to first and McPherson play third). All I know is that it's going to be a very interesting offseason. In Beinfest I trust. Go Fish!!

Along with Cody starting in either LF/RF. Would love to have Gonzo and Helms back!! I know noone gives them credit but they have a part in what the Marlins did this season.. According to what i read/heard, Helms would get on guys who would not run, practice hard etc! Thats the kind of leader we need!

Helms is 100% gone. The Marlins won't pick up his enormous option to be a bench player, and that means they cannot resign him until May 1st. He will easily find work on someone's bench during the offseason.

I didn't know about that May 1st thing. Bah. He would have been great on our bench.

I watched it, and I believe he didn't call us the favorites, but said there was a POSSIBILITY that Maybin could make the marlins a serious contender for a title next year. He didn't even want to sound like he was predicting anything, because god knows nobody on ESPN can say the marlins will win anything, all he said was that we have a CHANCE of becoming a contender

Actually, I watched it and what I heard was that if Maybin starts in centerfield next year and with our pitching, the Marlins would be the team to beat in the East.