Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

This bullpen makes me want to ________

Featured Replies

Pinto and Jose Veras walk guys. It's what they do. With that said, Pinto isn't as bad as this board makes him out to be. He just has his moments. And Fredi thinks he's better than Dan Meyer, unfortunately.

 

I really hope Veras isn't the setup guy. I don't even know why he made the team.

 

 

Pinto has his moments like a bar regular who has a tendency to turn violent from time to time when he gets drunk. Sure, he only occasionally starts a brawl in the bar, or breaks a few chairs and glasses. But how long should the owner of the bar put up with his antics before saying enough is enough and permanently banning the idiot?

 

Hilarious. There might not be a better way to describe that idiot.

Pinto and Jose Veras walk guys. It's what they do. With that said, Pinto isn't as bad as this board makes him out to be. He just has his moments. And Fredi thinks he's better than Dan Meyer, unfortunately.

 

I really hope Veras isn't the setup guy. I don't even know why he made the team.

 

 

Pinto has his moments like a bar regular who has a tendency to turn violent from time to time when he gets drunk. Sure, he only occasionally starts a brawl in the bar, or breaks a few chairs and glasses. But how long should the owner of the bar put up with his antics before saying enough is enough and permanently banning the idiot?

 

Hilarious. There might not be a better way to describe that idiot.

 

I like any description that equates Pinto with a bar patron.

bullpen did better tonight Hopper did very well too

 

 

 

The "Bullpen" being mostly Hopper (with Leo getting a good inning in).

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

 

our fears about this bullpen are REAL. This season is doomed. Oh well, can't wait for June or July so we can see what Stanton looks like.

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

Veras and Hensley are beginning to look like Pinto 2.0 and 3.0 so far...

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

 

our fears about this bullpen are REAL. This season is doomed. Oh well, can't wait for June or July so we can see what Stanton looks like.

 

 

4 games into the season, and with a record of 2-2. Serious with this? The bullpen didn't even cost us the game tonight, really. Not saying it's good, but lots of things can change from now to then.

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

 

our fears about this bullpen are REAL. This season is doomed. Oh well, can't wait for June or July so we can see what Stanton looks like.

 

 

4 games into the season, and with a record of 2-2. Serious with this? The bullpen didn't even cost us the game tonight, really. Not saying it's good, but lots of things can change from now to then.

 

True. But at this point I'm just about ready to jettison Hensley and Veras, at least. We need RVH now, and if it delays his progression as a starter......I think I might be okay with that. I don't know if Strickland is still available; if not, I'd get rid of the other of Hensley/Veras the moment Sanches is healthy.

Also, seriously, why does Fredi hate Dan Meyer? He has the fewest IP of any reliever so far, he has ignored him in several key spots this year, and I remember this happening late last year too, despite him being probably the bets reliever on the staff.

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

 

our fears about this bullpen are REAL. This season is doomed. Oh well, can't wait for June or July so we can see what Stanton looks like.

 

 

4 games into the season, and with a record of 2-2. Serious with this? The bullpen didn't even cost us the game tonight, really. Not saying it's good, but lots of things can change from now to then.

 

True. But at this point I'm just about ready to jettison Hensley and Veras, at least. We need RVH now, and if it delays his progression as a starter......I think I might be okay with that. I don't know if Strickland is still available; if not, I'd get rid of the other of Hensley/Veras the moment Sanches is healthy.

 

 

Hensley had a bad outing in NY. I don't even think he was that bad tonight. Veras should go when Sanches comes back. A lot of things can change with the pen. Brian Sanches didn't even begin the season with us last year. It's about getting fortunate. Tim Wood wasn't supposed to make the team...now I'd say he deserves more of a chance. Btw, did anyone catch the mistake in the pregame announcements with Tim Wood? It was pretty messed up, imo.

Also, seriously, why does Fredi hate Dan Meyer? He has the fewest IP of any reliever so far, he has ignored him in several key spots this year, and I remember this happening late last year too, despite him being probably the bets reliever on the staff.

 

 

 

Maybe Fredi has a thing for the Latin relievers...

I actually didn't see that one of Hensley's walks was intentional. I suppose that's not as bad (I was following on gamecast on my phone, but could only check periodically lol).

 

I'm still open to Hensley getting another shot, but this was an lolbad spot to put him into the game.

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

 

our fears about this bullpen are REAL. This season is doomed. Oh well, can't wait for June or July so we can see what Stanton looks like.

 

 

4 games into the season, and with a record of 2-2. Serious with this? The bullpen didn't even cost us the game tonight, really. Not saying it's good, but lots of things can change from now to then.

 

Well, last I checked .500 was mediocre and didn't get you into the playoffs. And honestly, if you can't see how our atrocious bullpen performance is going to continue costing us the opportunity to win games, then you will later on when we are still trailing the Phillies & Braves and those games that the bullpen will have blown by then (because that's what bad bullpens do and our lack of proven late-inning relievers is simply not going to cut it) will really come back to hurt us.

I could post another negative post about Pinto, but I guess I'd be over-reacting again too.

 

 

our fears about this bullpen are REAL. This season is doomed. Oh well, can't wait for June or July so we can see what Stanton looks like.

 

 

4 games into the season, and with a record of 2-2. Serious with this? The bullpen didn't even cost us the game tonight, really. Not saying it's good, but lots of things can change from now to then.

 

Well, last I checked .500 was mediocre and didn't get you into the playoffs. And honestly, if you can't see how our atrocious bullpen performance is going to continue costing us the opportunity to win games, then you will later on when we are still trailing the Phillies & Braves and those games that the bullpen will have blown by then (because that's what bad bullpens do and our lack of proven late-inning relievers is simply not going to cut it) will really come back to hurt us.

 

 

Right. So the Yankees and Red Sox are done, too. The Dodgers...done. The Angels are pretty much the worst team in baseball. It all makes sense...

Speaking of the Braves, Billy Wagner and their bullpen blew a game today. T-R-O-U-B-L-E!

 

The only guy I'm worried about right now is Pinto, and while he always seems to have these struggles, he's proven before that he's not this terrible. Jose Veras won't even be on the team much longer if he keeps pitching this way. Bullpen's usually don't stay the same the whole year. There's normally some minor leaguer that comes up that ends up being a pretty big part of the pen. There's the trade deadline in July...+ some of the quality arms we have in it, already.

 

To say the season is doomed after 4 games is pretty laughable.

I mean it's not panic time or anything certainly, no, but I think it deserves some attention. Veras looks just awful, Pinto is a mess and the only way I've been able to stomach him the past few years is when he's used sparingly. Hensley... I feel for the guy because he probably thought he was going to be in the rotation... but ultimately I'm not sure he makes much sense when we've already got Badenhop for long relief. And we already have mass heart attacks when Leo goes out there to close.

 

I'm usually fairly pleased with the way Beinfest is able to piece together a bullpen out of basically nothing, hopefully there will be some AAA/AA guys who will surprise.

 

Speaking of which, Sanches will hopefully be ready in around a week so someone's getting sent down. I'd be fine bringing up Hurk too.

I mean it's not panic time or anything certainly, no, but I think it deserves some attention. Veras looks just awful, Pinto is a mess and the only way I've been able to stomach him the past few years is when he's used sparingly. Hensley... I feel for the guy because he probably thought he was going to be in the rotation... but ultimately I'm not sure he makes much sense when we've already got Badenhop for long relief. And we already have mass heart attacks when Leo goes out there to close.

 

I'm usually fairly pleased with the way Beinfest is able to piece together a bullpen out of basically nothing, hopefully there will be some AAA/AA guys who will surprise.

 

Speaking of which, Sanches will hopefully be ready in around a week so someone's getting sent down. I'd be fine bringing up Hurk too.

 

 

Times a millionbilliontrillionshabaisbdbgfjbdillion.

Way to many drama queens. Christ, it's 4 games and our # 2 RHP is currently injured.

 

Nunez looked fine in his last game, Sanches is coming back, Badenhop looked wicked, Meyer is solid and will be used more when we actually have close leads which we really haven't yet, Wood looked good, and despite all of you freaking out, Pinto always does this, then rattles off a ton of scoreless innings in a row. And if you think that's BS, he had stretches of 8, 8, 11, and 12 appearances in a row with no runs last year (which in bullpen terms, is basically half his season). Check the game logs. He's going to be frustrating as hell because his blow ups are EPIC, but then you realize the guy has a 3.68 era for this team in 215 innings the last four years. Whip be damned, he figures it out in spurts and goes on a tear. Give the guy a break. I was sitting around the bullpen, and the guy was getting yelled at for 9 innings. Just leave him alone. He'll figure it out as he always does.

 

And guess what, that's 6 guys. Maybe Veras works out, maybe he doesn't. But there is serious firepower in AAA waiting for him to falter. This is going to work itself out like every year. There is a reason the Marlins always finish with an above average bullpen. It's because relievers are volatile, and we have the ability to mix and match them so we will cut them because it doesn't hurt the books at all. This is normal. Attrition is healthy - especially in games where an opposing SP dominates you and you can try them in innings that don't really matter to the bottom line. This game was a loss the second Hanley threw that ball past Uggla and 2 runs scored. I say GOOD. Use the three weakest relievers in the pen and see if they can show something. It didn't really work out tonight. Big deal. Learning stuff about your relievers is important FOUR games into the season.

 

If we're playing fill in the blank, I suggest

 

Frankie says ____________

This is April, bullpens often look like sh*t in the first couple of week. Put in context, the team scored 4 runs total in the 2 losses. According to April 2003, Benitez (all-star closer that year) was total sh*t

I think Tommy Hutton was spot on when he referenced the fact that bullpen problems are not constrained only to the Marlins, citing the LA 9th inning meltdown and the Atlanta/San Francisco game.

 

 

I have been more horrified with how bad the defense has been this season so far. Everyone has looked terrible outside of Cody Ross. Coghlan might be the worst defensive outfielder in MLB right now. I guess no one expected great things from this team defensively, but I expect the Marlins will face a greater liability in fielding than they will with the bullpen.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.