What in the world is wrong with Chris Coghlan?

Backin2008

Coghlan looks absolutely lost at the plate right now. 5 for 42 (.119 avg, .278 OPS) with 2 runs scored, 1 RBI and 2 stolen bases? It looks like the pitchers have figured him out after having a lot of tape to look at. He doesn't have an extra base hit yet this season either. I think the Marlins should be patient with him but if he hits like this all month they need to look at putting someone else in LF for a while.

Coghlan looks absolutely lost at the plate right now. 5 for 42 (.119 avg, .278 OPS) with 2 runs scored, 1 RBI and 2 stolen bases? It looks like the pitchers have figured him out after having a lot of tape to look at. He doesn't have an extra base hit yet this season either. I think the Marlins should be patient with him but if he hits like this all month they need to look at putting someone else in LF for a while.

I honestly think he should be removed from the leadoff spot for the time being. He is an automatic out. We need a leadoff man who can actually get on base. A big part of the reason why Cantu has 15 RBI's and Hanley just 5 has to do with Hanley not really having any runs to drive in. Hanley can't produce runs like last year without people on base in front of him.

At this point it's not just about Cogz's swing not being there yet. I think it's mostly mental -- living up to the hype of his NL ROY production, and desperately trying to break out of his 0-fer by swinging at pitches out of the zone and rolling over.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Cam Maybin's approach thus far. I'd take him in the leadoff spot if he has grown mature enough to handle it. Shuffle things around, move Gaby up and make Cogz figure it out in the No. 8 spot. Less stress there than staying in the leadoff spot when a brother can't get on base. It's just painful to watch him bat nowadays.

Enough is enough, Fredi.

If the team feels compelled to keep him in there then it might be wiser to do what was the battleplan for Maybin and seems to have paid off - sandwich Coghlan in between Maybin and Ramirez knowing he'll see more hittable pitches more frequently with Hanley and Cantu following him in the lineup.

If the team feels compelled to keep him in there then it might be wiser to do what was the battleplan for Maybin and seems to have paid off - sandwich Coghlan in between Maybin and Ramirez knowing he'll see more hittable pitches more frequently with Hanley and Cantu following him in the lineup.

And you open the right side of the diamond up for the lefty with the first baseman having to more frequently cover 1B.

Maybin-Coghlan has always been the smarter logistical idea as soon as Maybin decided he was MLB ready.

it looks like he is trying to pull everything. almost everytime catchers set up outside against him and it looks like he is trying to pull it and hitting weak groundballs. jim pressley needs to step up and talk to him and get him right

If your talking physically.....

The impact of Coghlan's hard landing while making a highlight-reel catch on Tuesday night against the Reds has left the 24-year-old with soreness on his left side, just under his ribs. Coghlan was shaken up while crashing hard and sliding on the rubbery warning track in the 11th inning on a play he robbed Orlando Cabrera of an extra-base hit.

Hard to swing a bat when your side hurts, but with the crack medical staff the Marlins employ he probably has broken ribs, but they'll say its a sprain! Just ask DeAza

If Coghlan continues to struggle like this, I think we should send him down to AAA and have him figure things out there.

The only thing is that they'd probably replace him with Bonifacio :blink:

Logan might be ready, but I'd rather push back his service time.

I think he gets one more series batting 2nd, then gets pushed to 7th in favor of Baker for a week or two until he gets his act together.

I say the team gives him through the first week in May to start hitting before thinking about a demotion to AAA to clear his head for a week or two. I do not think Bonifacio would be the replacement either. He may be the callup over Cousins or Petersen, but Carroll would get most of the starts.

I know this sounds crazy, but Coghlan's defense has looked really solid this year. He's made some jaw-dropping plays and always gives 100% effort on defense. I think this is enough to keep him in the lineup for at least another month before sending him down or benching him for a while.

If your talking physically.....

The impact of Coghlan's hard landing while making a highlight-reel catch on Tuesday night against the Reds has left the 24-year-old with soreness on his left side, just under his ribs. Coghlan was shaken up while crashing hard and sliding on the rubbery warning track in the 11th inning on a play he robbed Orlando Cabrera of an extra-base hit.

Hard to swing a bat when your side hurts, but with the crack medical staff the Marlins employ he probably has broken ribs, but they'll say its a sprain! Just ask DeAza

He was struggling big time even before the great catch

Eh.

He's made some really nice plays recently, but I don't think his overall body of work in the field has been anything more than average. He takes awful routes to balls, and he's especially bad on stuff that's rolling in the outfield. He has no idea where the ball is going half of the time, and he's let a couple of balls get by him because of that.

If Coghlan continues to struggle like this, I think we should send him down to AAA and have him figure things out there.

The only thing is that they'd probably replace him with Bonifacio :blink:

Logan might be ready, but I'd rather push back his service time.

I think he gets one more series batting 2nd, then gets pushed to 7th in favor of Baker for a week or two until he gets his act together.

I say the team gives him through the first week in May to start hitting before thinking about a demotion to AAA to clear his head for a week or two. I do not think Bonifacio would be the replacement either. He may be the callup over Cousins or Petersen, but Carroll would get most of the starts.

I was mostly just joking/being an alarmist about EB. I wouldn't mind Carroll getting a few starts if it came to that.

His 2 walks and 11 strikeouts are the biggest concern. Just shows he's not seeing much of anything well.

His eye was what impressed me last year and he does not have it right now. Maybe he's just a slow starter, he didn't play very well when he first came up last year. I give him to about 100 ab's before I begin to get really worried.

His 2 walks and 11 strikeouts are the biggest concern. Just shows he's not seeing much of anything well.

His eye was what impressed me last year and he does not have it right now. Maybe he's just a slow starter, he didn't play very well when he first came up last year. I give him to about 100 ab's before I begin to get really worried.

I agree with him...It really seems like Coghlan has lost his eye for the strike zone, which was imperative to his success last year. He was impressive getting deep into counts, and if I remember correctly almost always took a few pitches in the beginning. He really seemed like he knew what his role was as a lead off hitter.

This year however, he's swinging at A LOT of outside pitches with a strange running-hack type swing that usually results in a chopper to the third baseman. Perhaps what would be best is to send him down to AAA, but at the least he should be put in the 8th slot of the batting order. I'm confident that Sanchez could take over the 2nd position, or ideally John Baker.

I'm really feeling bad for Chris Coghlan right now. Obviously I don't wish any Marlins player to do bad, but after watching Coghlan last year, listening to him do interviews etc. he's really become a big fan favorite of mine. I really want him to turn this around and I'm pretty sure that he will, but until then... I suffer right alongside him and the other big Coghlan fans.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.