So we still need a left bat off the bench...

Hermida would be a great player to sign (to a minor league contract). He is a lefty bat, is very familiar with the organization and coaching staff, knows the ballpark, has a considerable amount of upside and is still quite young (about 6 months younger than Gaby Sanchez). He would be coming off the bench, so he wouldn't have to spend much time in the OF (unless there are injuries to which he can play both LF & RF in a park he knows well), so we wouldn't have to worry much about his errors. Who knows, maybe if he has to worry less about committing all those errors in the OF, his bat may finally come alive?

If he doesn't pan out, we release him. Seems like a win-win deal for both sides.

Thoughts, concerns?

If Baker is going to be used as a lefty bat off the bench, that pretty much takes him out of the backup catcher role. I know he won't be able to throw for quite awhile so I am assuming we are going carry a third catcher anyway.. Hayes becomes the backup (until Ronny returns, or Baker can throw), who will only be used like every other backup catcher...emergency situations and the few scheduled off days for Buck. All of this means we are pretty much carrying a designated hitter, in Baker, giving almost every other NL team a slight advantage over us by not carrying players like Baker. I know this won't be a problem 99% of the time, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm by no means saying we should bring in Hermida, but it wouldn't hurt to stockpile a few lefty bats in the system. Ya never know with him, he could go on one of those tears and help this team at some point in the season

If Baker is going to be used as a lefty bat off the bench, that pretty much takes him out of the backup catcher role. I know he won't be able to throw for quite awhile so I am assuming we are going carry a third catcher anyway.. Hayes becomes the backup (until Ronny returns, or Baker can throw), who will only be used like every other backup catcher...emergency situations and the few scheduled off days for Buck. All of this means we are pretty much carrying a designated hitter, in Baker, giving almost every other NL team a slight advantage over us by not carrying players like Baker. I know this won't be a problem 99% of the time, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm by no means saying we should bring in Hermida, but it wouldn't hurt to stockpile a few lefty bats in the system. Ya never know with him, he could go on one of those tears and help this team at some point in the season

Paulino is a Met now

Beinfest already said Bake will start the season as the lefty bat off the bench.

Unless there has been a quote I missed, I thought he said Baker could be an option for that. I can't imagine that is set in stone.

Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to carry a player who cannot field in the National League. They can do better and let Baker hit in the minors on rehab.

Beinfest already said Bake will start the season as the lefty bat off the bench.

Unless there has been a quote I missed, I thought he said Baker could be an option for that. I can't imagine that is set in stone.

Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to carry a player who cannot field in the National League. They can do better and let Baker hit in the minors on rehab.

Yeah, while Bake isnt our worst option as a lefty bat... him not being able to contribute defensively is a strange thing to put on our major league field. They can so do better, it just doesn't seem smart at all. It definitely limits Edwin somewhat.

I think having Bonifacio and Infante on the team allows the organization to think about Baker as the lefty bat (even if he can't catch at the moment).

The bench would be: Baker, Helms, Hayes/Davis, Bonifacio...and probably Cousins as the 4th outfielder.

Bonifacio plays everywhere, and so does Infante. Infante will start the games at 2B, but can still be moved around anywhere depending on what happens in a particular game.

Edwin shouldn't be shorthanded, at all.

What about Donnie Murphy? I think he should be given a spot on the bench, based on what he did last season.

The team needs a 4th outfielder.

Cousins is a + defender out there. Whoever the 4th OF'er is will see time late in games when the team is ahead. Coghlan will go to LF, and one of Bonifacio/Cousins will end up taking over late in games in CF, when we have a lead.

This is all assuming Dominguez makes the team of course. If he doesn't, Bonifacio would start and then Cousins becomes a lock to make the team with one of Murphy/Ozzie Martinez/Gotay taking the last spot.

I know there's been talk of Lubanski maybe earning a spot on the roster, but I don't see that happening.

Agree to a point. Hayes and Davis are far better defensive catchers than Baker. If their bats are at least somewhat acceptable, I see no sense in bringing Baker back in any situation when he is 100%. But he may bring something in trade value from a team like the BoSox who seem to be a little weak at that position.

I will say it again....You don't need your back up catcher to have a real good bat. You just want him to be able to handle his position well.

What about Donnie Murphy? I think he should be given a spot on the bench, based on what he did last season.

Bench spots are going to be pretty open. Players are going to have to earn a spot in ST, and then keep proving their worth as the season progresses or be replaced. Giving guys like Murphy a spot just because of what they have done in the past is fine with the Sept call-ups, but not to fill a spot on the 25 man roster.

I don't mind bringing anyone who has upside in on a minor league deal... Hermida is no different. What's the worst that could happen?

He has a hot spring, makes the team and goes three for sixty before being released.

That wouldn't happen if he is a bench player... he would be lucky to get 60 ABs in the first half of the season.

I agree that there are better options out there, but like it or not, Hermida still has potential (assuming he tries). Minor league deals (or ST Invites) don't bind the club at all, so it would be stupid not to if he is willing to sign it.