Bell: "God’s testing me right now"

I've been willing to cut Bell some slack, in the sense that I'm not willing to hate him just because he's going through a (very) rough patch, but he's not making it easy with this type of thing:

“I’ve got to keep believing in myself and keep going. God’s testing me right now, I know that. I just got to keep staying positive.

“If I could get a lucky rabbit’s foot or something and start getting the job done, look how much better we’re going to be.

“I’ve got the confidence I’ve got the ability. I don’t know why the lord is testing me right now. He’s breaking me right now. Maybe he’s molding me into a better man or a better person.�

Now I know being a ball player doesn't necessarily mean you're a smart guy, but this type of logic is just idiotic. Is God (assuming he even exists for the moment) really making the ball stay up in the zone or connect with the fat part of the bat just to "test" Bell? How does he know that those hits in the 9th weren't a reward for something the Padres' batters have done? And does God want to punish the entire Marlins organization, and their fans, along with Bell, or did God arrange it so that in the last two games Bell suffered just enough to throw the game away, but allowed the Marlins to win anyway, meaning that when Ozzie didn't pull Bell in the 9th last night, he had to help Bell get out of the inning without allowing more runs?

As for the "molding" to make him a "better person" -- this is baseball Heath, not the Book of Job. You've got a big fat $27 million coming your way, even if you don't throw another pitch in your life -- not exactly high in the suffering stakes. Try keeping some perspective will ya?

Almost reminds me of a postgame presser at UF in 2007 when Tebow said he prayed for the Auburn kicker to miss the game-winning FG. I was a student media member, and I REALLY had to bite my tongue there. Haha. That was a bad loss. Losing was rare at the Swamp back then.

Nowhere in those quotes does he say: "Maybe it's God's fault."

He basically said what many religious people say in a time of struggle. If you were going to have a title about this based on his actual quotes, it probably should've been: "maybe he's middling me into a better man or a better person." It's something he actually said and something that probably better represents his main idea.

With that said, Heath Bell should probably look up the definition of luck. As of right now, the fact that he sucks has nothing to do with bad luck; he just sucks.

More walks than strikeouts and getting hit hard is not bad luck. If anything, he was lucky that Denorfia's ball went foul last night. Also lucky that Infante made a nice play to end the inning after he grooved a hanging breaking ball with two strikes.

Also... as others have alluded to, this isn't Bell blaming his professional failures on God; but a man dealing with an existential crisis the way most religious people would. Heath is aware of the problem and is expressing his concern about it. If you ask me, I think it's a cry for help.

Also... as others have alluded to, this isn't Bell blaming his professional failures on God; but a man dealing with an existential crisis the way most religious people would. Heath is aware of the problem and is expressing his concern about it. If you ask me, I think it's a cry for help.

Shhh, Beetle, your destroying their blind hatred arguments with logic.

Find me the blind hatred, please.

Miami native the other night saying he was Getting on twitter just to cuss him out. Everyone Downing and being absolutley dickish about the guy over and over again for being a bigger dude. .twisting his words around and demeaning his thoughts on religion.

Maybe "blind" isn't the right word, But the guy doesn't deserve some of this sh*t. Yeah he has sucked, talk sh*t about that but he has been awesome more often than not in his career.

The guy signed here, is away from his family who I still believe resides in San diego most of the time, he has a child with down syndrome I believe. Possibly struggling from the pressures of a new contract, not the first to struggle after signing.

Just some people are being way to harsh.

Miami native the other night saying he was Getting on twitter just to cuss him out. Everyone Downing and being absolutley dickish about the guy over and over again for being a bigger dude. .twisting his words around and demeaning his thoughts on religion.

Maybe "blind" isn't the right word, But the guy doesn't deserve some of this sh*t. Yeah he has sucked, talk sh*t about that but he has been awesome more often than not in his career.

The guy signed here, is away from his family who I still believe resides in San diego most of the time, he has a child with down syndrome I believe. Possibly struggling from the pressures of a new contract, not the first to struggle after signing.

I don't give a sh*t what he's done in the rest of his career, since that wasn't with the Marlins. Does that really matter to you? It only matters because you'd think he couldn't possibly be this bad...........but, he's objectively been just as bad as his numbers. Balls getting smoked, terrible location, etc.

Beetle's post was about the religious side of it. When you respond to his post, that and your other comments make it seem like you're angry at people for ripping on his religion. But no one outside of RP OP did that, and even RP OP just reiterated the familiar argument a la Mark Twain's "War Prayer." The worst offense in this thread was the mischaracterized title, but that seemed more a rip on Bell's unwillingness to accept blame/admit he needs to do things differently rather than an anti-religious rant.

Your anger about the religious part of it seems sorely misplaced.

And it's absolutely normal for fans to rip on a guy who's performing terribly. It's certainly not my style to cuss a guy out on twitter, but I'm sure many of us have done so in front of our TVs or computers.

And don't forget that he chose to sign here. He came to Miami and got his $27 million. He chose whatever familial outcomes that have ensued.

edit: by "RP," I mean "OP." Freudian slip or something :lol

I don't give a sh*t what he's done in the rest of his career, since that wasn't with the Marlins. Does that really matter to you? It only matters because you'd think he couldn't possibly be this bad...........but, he's objectively been just as bad as his numbers. Balls getting smoked, terrible location, etc.

Beetle's post was about the religious side of it. When you respond to his post, that and your other comments make it seem like you're angry at people for ripping on his religion. But no one outside of RP did that, and even RP just reiterated the familiar argument a la Mark Twain's "War Prayer." The worst offense in this thread was the mischaracterized title, but that seemed more a rip on Bell's unwillingness to accept blame/admit he needs to do things differently rather than an anti-religious rant.

Your anger about the religious part of it seems sorely misplaced.

And it's absolutely normal for fans to rip on a guy who's performing terribly. It's certainly not my style to cuss a guy out on twitter, but I'm sure many of us have done so in front of our TVs or computers.

And don't forget that he chose to sign here. He came to Miami and got his $27 million. He chose whatever familial outcomes that have ensued.

He's been absolutely f***ing horrid, completely agree with that. I just dont agree with the level that some of us are taking the personal attacks or the platform.