Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Third Base option?

Featured Replies

I'd like to see Coghlan given a shot to win the 3B job in Spring Training.

 

Me, too. We're going to be trying to fill that spot with players who are looking for once last chance in the majors. Might as well let Coghlan be one of them.

Zachary Cox

Kevin Kouzmanoff

Chris Coghlan

Greg Dobbs

 

I bet at least one of these people will have an impressive Spring Training and win the job.

 

What really pains me though is that we should have been able to write "MATTY D" as #1 on the depth chart and circle it a few times, never needing to have this discussion.

We at least know what we'll get with Dobbs. He's much better suited as a spot starter and bench bat, but he'd probably be at least somewhat adequate at the spot. Our bench would take a big hit though.

Zachary Cox

Kevin Kouzmanoff

Chris Coghlan

Greg Dobbs

 

I bet at least one of these people will have an impressive Spring Training and win the job.

 

What really pains me though is that we should have been able to write "MATTY D" as #1 on the depth chart and circle it a few times, never needing to have this discussion.

 

Just my thoughts... it'll be Kouzmanoff. He's the most recent one to be worth a damn at the major league level and likely closer to bouncing back. Cogs has been struggling for so long that I think he's got more ground to cover. Cox will probably do fine but be deemed not ready because he's potentially a bigger part of our future and he won't win the job unless he's un-Godly good and we just can't deny him. If he's just average we'll make him wait in the minors. And Dobbs will be Dobbs and will do more than fine but won't be given the job unless the other three are beyond bad. As long as someone else steps up, Dobbs is better on the bench.

 

And I know Donnie Murphy is a free agent now but anyone think throwing his name into this batch of half ass 3Bs wouldn't have hurt to try?

I hate to say it and I know that I am going to get completely bashed but I think its time to explore the Chone Figgins avenue. I would be happy with signing Figgins, trading for Morse and going to Spring Training with that. Even signing Figgins to a Minor league deal with an invite to ST should be an option at this point.

WE'RE LOSING OUT ON THESE ELITE THIRD BASEMEN!

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE WANT TO COME TO THIS MECCA OF BASEBALL?!

 

Because plan A was always Figgins!

Nah. 75.

Stanton with 50, Morrison with 20, and the rest with 5.

Pierre with 2 of the 5.

 

Pierre's 2 are inside-the-park? Or does he get lucky one windy evening at Coors Field?

Nah. 75.

Stanton with 50, Morrison with 20, and the rest with 5.

Pierre with 2 of the 5.

 

Pierre's 2 are inside-the-park? Or does he get lucky one windy evening at Coors Field?

 

Inside the park.

In LA.

Both in the same game.

Only 2 runs we'll score that day.

I'm actually high on Cox, the scouting reports I read on him seem to think the bat will come around and that he's going to be a late bloomer. Remember, this kid was a FIRST round pick just two years ago, coming out of college scouts thought he could compete for a batting title someday...

I'm actually high on Cox, the scouting reports I read on him seem to think the bat will come around and that he's going to be a late bloomer. Remember, this kid was a FIRST round pick just two years ago, coming out of college scouts thought he could compete for a batting title someday...

 

Volstad was a 1st round pick too. And Skipworth. And Sinkbeil. etc.

I'm actually high on Cox, the scouting reports I read on him seem to think the bat will come around and that he's going to be a late bloomer. Remember, this kid was a FIRST round pick just two years ago, coming out of college scouts thought he could compete for a batting title someday...

 

Volstad was a 1st round pick too. And Skipworth. And Sinkbeil. etc. The horror!!!

I still remember the glowing interviews of Volstad and Sinkbeil by Hutton and Waltz just after they were drafted, proudly wearing their Marlins jerseys, brimming with optimism about the future. They probably did Skipworth, too, but I guess he wasn't notable enough to recollect.

 

Too bad not everything works out as projected or planned.

 

Last sightings:

 

Volstad -- Cubs waived him after going 3-12, 6.31 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, picked up by Royals, designated for assignment 11/20/12. MiLB or Japan or retirement, here we come.

 

Sinkbeil -- Released by Marlins in ST in '11, became a FA after playing in AA (PIT) in '11. Pitched 2 innings of MLB in his "career" with horrible results, apparently already out of the game.

 

And so it sometimes goes.

Unless your name is Stanton. In that case, all will be good, because you are Stanton.

 

As for the rest of them, they were what they were because they are what they are.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.