Samson banned from doing interviews

poptart

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/01/um-says-no-to-a-gator-dolphins-start-contract-talks-fins-canes-notes-heat-marlins-roster-buzz.html

Besides forbidding president David Samson from doing his radio show, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria also told Samson that he can no longer do interviews. That’s short-sighted, because Samson made himself more accountable and accessible than many team presidents, even amid unpopular decisions made solely by Loria. Loria, by the way, has refused to speak to the media since mid-November.

when did that happen?

I've said it before, Samson is basically a puppet, he just spits up whatever the company line is these days. I listen to him for the latest taglines, not for any truth or decisions he's made outside of the process of securing the ballpark. Now that that's done, he's just the parrot on Loria's shoulder.

Jennings speaks more truth cuz he's lower on the totem pole and its like Loria hasn't gotten down to corraling him yet. Beinfest I think is a little more restricted in what he can say but I usually feel like he mixes in a little more truth with his repetition of company lines. I've always felt Beinfest was more of the outsider of the group. He has to make the moves/trades etc whether he agrees with them or not. That's just the nature of his job. So when the guy ships off Reyes and Co. all in one trade, I don't take out so much frustration on him.

Any speculation that there is a riff between Loria and Samson?? I enjoyed his radio program. I didn't agree to everything he said, but he sure knows movie history. Going to miss it.

I think it's just that the firesale is a huge PR nightmare for them and they probably realized that Samson just enrages more fans by talking on the radio.

Im probably very alone on this, but I like Samson. I mean, I think he (they) dooped the City/County into paying for the Ballpark, but I am happy we got to keep baseball down here. Do I think that they are completely truthful? HELL NO, but I think his coming on the radio for a weekly show, and getting destroyed by fans showed he cared somewhat. I now think there will be a wider disconnect between the F/O and the fans. I cannot wait for Loria to sell this team. He blames everyone else, but cannot see what is right in front of him.

He is kind of a little weasel, but I get the impression he actually gives a crap.

Amen, he clearly puts more effort into the fan's concerns that he even has to. He's not the owner or the GM, he doesn't have to deal with the fans if he doesn't want to. I can't think of many other team presidents that do what he does as far as being accessible to the peeps.

Thats what I dont get. He gets slammed for being a weasel (his weasely voice doesnt help with this), but he is one of few (if any) Presidents who did a weekly radio show in which he pretty much got ripped all the time. In the meantime, Loria hasn't spoken the media since he sold his soul to satan (who lives in toronto apparently) and now punishes Samson for doing so.

Thats what I dont get. He gets slammed for being a weasel (his weasely voice doesnt help with this), but he is one of few (if any) Presidents who did a weekly radio show in which he pretty much got ripped all the time. In the meantime, Loria hasn't spoken the media since he sold his soul to satan (who lives in toronto apparently) and now punishes Samson for doing so.

To be fair, Loria is not well-liked either.

That's really interesting, I think this is actually the worst time they could have chosen to do this. Like somoene else said, this will actually further the disconnect between fans and the front office because they'll no longer have a way to vent their frustrations directly to the people who need to hear them most...