Jeb Bush reportedly tried to buy the Marlins this offseason

dom2613

Jeb Bush reportedly tried to buy Marlins

Former Florida governor Jeb Bush tried to buy the Marlins from owner Jeffrey Loria this offseason, according to a source in a report by Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

Loria has rejected offers from several interested buyers including the brother of former President — and Texas Rangers co-owner — George W. Bush.

Jeb Bush made a “large offer� to buy the Marlins according to the source. Another source said Bush’s group of investors included Venezuelan media owner Gustavo Cisneros.

Loria has come under heavy criticism since authorizing the trade of several high-priced players in a salary dump after opening a new stadium that included government funding.

A friend of Loria told Jackson that barring a health problem or change of heart, he does not want to sell because he loves owning a team. An unnamed, longtime MLB official said the league has long hoped an owner with deeper pockets than Loria would buy the Marlins.

Mark Cuban, meh. I don't care about hype. This team needs to avoid hype and just focus on the game. I'm sure someone could buy the team with just as much passion as Cuban if not more and not bring attention to himself. More interested in the Marlins being the best they can be and not caring about giving the owner attention.

Mark Cuban, meh. I don't care about hype. This team needs to avoid hype and just focus on the game. I'm sure someone could buy the team with just as much passion as Cuban if not more and not bring attention to himself. More interested in the Marlins being the best they can be and not caring about giving the owner attention.

This is Mark Cuban vs. Jeffrey Loria.

There's no "meh" involved in anything short of Willem Dafoe vs. Jeffrey Loria, my friend.

There's no "meh" involved in anything short of Willem Dafoe vs. Jeffrey Loria, my friend.

Yes, I agree if we are comparing Cuban to Loria...well, comparing anyone to Loria. But I was simply talking about the hypothetical scenario of a new owner. Loria would be out of the discussion at that point.

Is Loria's friend the ... guy?

Sorry to disappoint. While I've said the same things the "friend" said, unfortunately I don't know anyone in the FO.

I don't even know anyone who knows someones second cousin's wife's brother's dentist who once talked to someone who met a secretary in the FO five years ago.

Loria will probably die with his owner boots on. Then it's probably 30 years of Samson.

*** REPORTORIAL HACKERY ALERT ***

The article at marlins.com said Loria won't be interested in selling until at least after the 2014 season when he no longer has to share profits with Miami-Dade.

I don't remember anything about this profit sharing thing.

The April '09 non-relocation agreement calls for a percentage of any price in excess of 250 million to be paid to the City/County if 50+% of the team is sold:

Year - %

'09 - 70

'10 - 60

'11 - 50

'12 - 30

'13 - 10

'14 - 7.5

'15 - 5

'16 - 5

'17 - 5

'18 - 5

http://www.miamidade.gov/internalservices/library/nonrelocation_agreement.pdf

On a sale, Loria owes a percentage for the next 6 years and a relocation/sale penalty was always part of the deal from day one, modified twice along the way. The idea that he owes nothing on a sale in '15 is just flat-out wrong.

Obviously, it was assumed the Jan '09 non-relocation agreement was the final agreement -- except that the agreement was modified in April '09. But, even assuming that the Jan '09 agreement was still in effect, the Jan '09 penalty reached zero in '16 -- not '15. (See the link for the obsolete Jan '09 percentages.)

Misreported terms of the wrong agreement. A two-fer case of hackery. Close enough for "reporter" work.

The article at marlins.com said Loria won't be interested in selling until at least after the 2014 season when he no longer has to share profits with Miami-Dade.

The April '09 non-relocation agreement calls for a percentage of any price in excess of 250 million to be paid to the City/County if 50+% of the team is sold:

Year - %

'09 - 70

'10 - 60

'11 - 50

'12 - 30

'13 - 10

'14 - 7.5

'15 - 5

'16 - 5

'17 - 5

'18 - 5

On a sale, Loria owes a percentage for the next 6 years and a relocation/sale penalty was always part of the deal from day one, modified twice along the way. The idea that he owes nothing on a sale in '15 is just flat-out wrong.

Obviously, it was assumed the Jan '09 non-relocation agreement was the final agreement -- except that the agreement was modified in April '09. But, even assuming that the Jan '09 agreement was still in effect, the Jan '09 penalty reached zero in '16 -- not '15. (See the link for the obsolete Jan '09 percentages.)

Misreported terms of the wrong agreement. A two-fer case of hackery. Close enough for "reporter" work.

This always bothered me, why would we want to keep Loria. If the city and county are upset that Loria has not met his "moral" obligation of spending money on the team, then drop the penalty and let him get the hell out of here. I know they did not want him to pocket the increased value that came with the stadium, but getting rid of him is a win win. In reality, the penaly is on us, the fans.

Perhaps the City/County should have demanded a provision that paid Loria an extra 50 mill if he sold within 10 years. Maybe a sliding scale that pays him more to sell sooner. That would have been easy to sell to the public.

:lol

What I want to know is where is the penalty for lazy reporting?

You know, for ridiculous stuff like this where it took me all of 30 seconds to find the written, signed contract that totally contradicts the statements of the "reporter" who couldn't be bothered to check basic facts before misinforming his readers.

There is no penalty, outside of some possible embarrassment due to having obvious facts pointed out.

Is Loria's friend the ... guy?

Sorry to disappoint. While I've said the same things the "friend" said, unfortunately I don't know anyone in the FO.

I don't even know anyone who knows someones second cousin's wife's brother's dentist who once talked to someone who met a secretary in the FO five years ago.

Loria will probably die with his owner boots on. Then it's probably 30 years of Samson.

If thats the case, this team will case to ever be relevant again.

Year - %

'09 - 70

'10 - 60

'11 - 50

'12 - 30

'13 - 10

'14 - 7.5

'15 - 5

'16 - 5

'17 - 5

'18 - 5

The article at marlins.com was Frisaro "quoting" the Miami Herald. I take profit sharing as just that...Sharing the profits each year. This is more of a penalty if he should sell or relocate the team, which makes far more sense and something I do remember. Frisaro's article is kinda flimsy at best, and this part of it seems like an add-on at the end of it. But it looks like him and the original reporter didn't do their homework. I can see that with all the bashing the Herald has been doing as of late, but Frisaro should have caught that.

• 2 weeks later...

So where I work, I had this lady come in who is the wife of a former Marlins scout (currently with the Orioles now). He was a scout when we won in 2003 and has a WS ring as well. Anyway, I was talking to her about Loria and she was saying that Samson is really the worst between the two and how he constantly runs his mouth off. I mentioned to her about Jeb Bush trying to buy the team and her response was that Loria would never sell because he makes too much money off the team thanks to revenue sharing.

Basically everything we already know. She gave me some cool Oriole swag though :)