First base

Hammerhead

Morrison has begun working out on a treadmill, which means he's on track for a comeback. It's unlikely Morrison will be ready for opening day. He's uncertain when he'll begin hitting, and said he's not going to play if he has any doubt that his knee is ready.

Joe Mahoney: 5-14 (.357), 2 HR, 5 RBI, 1 BB, 3 K

Casey Kotchman: 4-7 (.571), 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 BB, 0 K

Seems like Mahoney is getting more starts and playing time but Kotchman is right there with him in quality of play early on.

Who would you give the edge to? Who would you like to see in the OD lineup if Morrison can't go?

Plus Kotch has less playing time just cuz he was set back a week with the finger injury. I'd rather have Kotch and just use Mahoney as AAA depth, which we'll probably need anyways eventually.

And if Mahoney does real well in the minors, we can move up the rankings of minor league systems and maybe be ranked #1 if we win the coaches poll. Do we get a banner if we do?

Guest Guest

Mahoney is on the 40-man and Kotchman isn't, don't know if that will wind up a factor

So are a bunch of guys who won't make the team (Cox, Olmos, Caminero, Ceda, Dyson, Lara, Ozuna, Gorkys, Jensen, etc) so that shouldn't be a problem.

If Mahoney and Kotchman have similar numbers. it could wind up a factor.

Lara (due to Rule 5) and Gorkys may make it.

Mahoney is on the 40-man and Kotchman isn't, don't know if that will wind up a factor

So are a bunch of guys who won't make the team (Cox, Olmos, Caminero, Ceda, Dyson, Lara, Ozuna, Gorkys, Jensen, etc) so that shouldn't be a problem.

If Mahoney and Kotchman have similar numbers. it could wind up a factor.

Lara (due to Rule 5) and Gorkys may make it.

Lara stinks.

Erick, on 03 Mar 2013 - 17:13, said:

They should both make the team.

so with Lomo out (and assume Silverio is DL), think it's Kotch for 1B and then bench is ...

Mahoney, Skip, Figgins, Petersen, Gorkys...?

maybe use Kearns instead of one of Petey/Gorkys. Both of those guys can play CF if needed but since neither can hit there's probably no point in keeping both. I think Kotch/Mahoney can play a little LF/RF when needed.

someone's going to get a lot of at-bats backing up at 3B, Polanco's back already hurts.

So many great options to pick from!

Erick, on 03 Mar 2013 - 17:13, said:

They should both make the team.

so with Lomo out (and assume Silverio is DL), think it's Kotch for 1B and then bench is ...

Mahoney, Skip, Figgins, Petersen, Gorkys...?

maybe use Kearns instead of one of Petey/Gorkys. Both of those guys can play CF if needed but since neither can hit there's probably no point in keeping both. I think Kotch/Mahoney can play a little LF/RF when needed.

So many great options to pick from.Figgins is god awful. I really hope he doesn't make this team. I'd much rather have Kouzmanoff on the roster. Even Cox would probably be better.

not really arguing that Figgins is any good, I'm just trying to cover all the bases. Figgins is just the most versatile defensively probably. I think Downs & Figgins can both play all the infield spots in a pinch except for SS. Kouz is pretty much 3B, but I'm fine with him too.

Figgins would be useful in pinch-running situations too.

I'd rather not have Cox sitting on the bench, he needs to start in AA or AAA and get playing time.

Not that the bench middle infielder is a huge concern for me for 2013 Marlins baseball, mind you...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.