Marlins could be in market for Abreu

knglover

From Mlbtraderumors.com

Jose Dariel Abreu Escapes From Cuba

By Charlie Wilmoth [August 11 at 10:37pm CST]

Slugging first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu has escaped from Cuba and is elsewhere in the Caribbean, Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald reports. It is unclear where Abreu is now (Ebro notes that various reports have placed Abreu in the Dominican Republic and in Haiti), but one agent with whom Abreu has had contact confirms that he is not in Cuba.

If in fact Abreu can make his way into the MLB free agent market, he'd have an enormous impact, likely earning the largest contract ever given to a Cuban player. The 26-year-old hit .453/.597/.986 in Cuba's Serie Nacional in 2010-2011 before hitting .394/.542/.837 in 2011-2012 and .382/.535/.735 in 2012-2013. Also in 2013, he hit .360/.385/.760 in six games for Cuba in the World Baseball Classic.

Those are, of course, stunning numbers, and ESPN Deportes' Jorge Morejon notes that Abreu will likely also benefit from a rising tide of good play by Cuban defectors like Yasiel Puig and Yoenis Cespedes. Grantland's Jonah Keri wrote in 2012 that Abreu "just might be the best hitter in the world," and Abreu's entry into the free agent market would surely be accompanied by a tidal wave of hype. Major League teams may not think quite the same way -- Keri notes that Abreu isn't particularly athletic, which might dampen teams' enthusiasm somewhat. But he quotes Athletics assistant GM David Forst comparing Abreu to Ryan Howard, which would still make Abreu a very valuable commodity.

Since Abreu is over 23 and has played Cuban professional baseball for more than three years, he would enter the market as an unrestricted free agent. He would appear to be in excellent position to receive more than Puig, who got seven years and $42MM from the Dodgers last June.

Holy shit. That's an OPS of 1.583 for 2010/2011. (1.379 for 2011/2012, 1.270 for this most recent season)

I really doubt we get him, unless Loria is super-serious about contending before 2016. Then we trade LoMo and one of Marisnick or Ozuna (I guess) to make room for him. Yelich, Stanton, Abreu, Moran all in the same lineup? That'd be redonk.

I would love one of these Cuban signings actually coming to fruition but we seem to value them a lot less and never go to the price they end up getting. See Chapman and Cespedes.

We really need a 1b of the future though. I dont think Lomo is anything special.

Holy s***. That's an OPS of 1.583 for 2010/2011. (1.379 for 2011/2012, 1.270 for this most recent season)

I really doubt we get him, unless Loria is super-serious about contending before 2016. Then we trade LoMo and one of Marisnick or Ozuna (I guess) to make room for him. Yelich, Stanton, Abreu, Moran all in the same lineup? That'd be redonk.

No need to get rid of guys on rookie deals to make room. Only the guys on bigger contracts or in arbitration.

Holy s***. That's an OPS of 1.583 for 2010/2011. (1.379 for 2011/2012, 1.270 for this most recent season)

No need to get rid of guys on rookie deals to make room. Only the guys on bigger contracts or in arbitration.

OK. Who are we getting rid of, then? Definitely won't be Stanton, so our outfield would still be crowded. Package Morrison and one of the two guys I mentioned, fill a hole elsewhere, like second or catcher, if possible.

OK. Who are we getting rid of, then? Definitely won't be Stanton, so our outfield would still be crowded. Package Morrison and one of the two guys I mentioned, fill a hole elsewhere, like second or catcher, if possible.

Why trade an OF to make room for a 1B? Ride with all 4 of Stanton, Marinisek, Yelich and Ozuna and use Ozuna as a 4 day a week starter unless one can DH (Stanton).

Lomo is the only one who would HAVE to go, and even then- he can stay as a backup and pH.

Why trade an OF to make room for a 1B? Ride with all 4 of Stanton, Marinisek, Yelich and Ozuna and use Ozuna as a 4 day a week starter unless one can DH (Stanton).

Lomo is the only one who would HAVE to go, and even then- he can stay as a backup and pH.

Go home, Piazza, you're drunk.

No need to get rid of guys on rookie deals to make room. Only the guys on bigger contracts or in arbitration.OK. Who are we getting rid of, then? Definitely won't be Stanton, so our outfield would still be crowded. Package Morrison and one of the two guys I mentioned, fill a hole elsewhere, like second or catcher, if possible.

I'm thinking in terms of, "we need to fill another position," and just LoMo won't get it done, methinks. METHINKS! Me not GM.

Go home, Piazza, you're drunk.I am. I really am.

Speaking of Morrison, have you guys noticed the considerable change in his swing?

He went from dropping his hands to now having the hands still lower but with a lot more movement before the pitch and with a big trigger and leg kick.

Was probably best seen when he doubled in the game tonight.

Would you say this is a positive change, then?

He is doing what he was early in `11 keeping his eyes on the ball and keeping the bat live in his hands before the swing. Before the asshats told him he should have more power. If left along I figure him for about .275-.285 with 80 or so walks. The HRs and doubles will just come as a matter of course.

Upside is .300 hitter, but I find that optimistic.

He is doing what he was early in `11 keeping his eyes on the ball and keeping the bat live in his hands before the swing. Before the asshats told him he should have more power. If left along I figure him for about .275-.285 with 80 or so walks. The HRs and doubles will just come as a matter of course.

Upside is .300 hitter, but I find that optimistic.

Actually, when he came up he would stand more upright and leave the bat more on his shoulders. Nowhere near as much movement as he has now.

Speaking of Morrison, have you guys noticed the considerable change in his swing?

He went from dropping his hands to now having the hands still lower but with a lot more movement before the pitch and with a big trigger and leg kick.

Was probably best seen when he doubled in the game tonight.

Would you say this is a positive change, then?

I would hope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.