Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How excited are you for the 2014 season?

Featured Replies

Marcell Ozuna is really not as good as some people on here seem to think. There's really nothing to suggest that he'll be a better hitter than Justin Ruggiano this year.

 

Agreed. People here really overrate him for some reason.

They're both bench players, but Ozuna would perform better in platoon roles than Ruggiano. He's also the better defender. Not to mention that Ozuna probably underacheived from a power standpoint last season. I expect his slugging to increase.

 

Ozuna isn't an everyday starter, but Ruggiano is worse. Never has gamechanging hits. Plays 'meh' defense, and his good basestealing tool is hindered by a low OBP. Don't understand the love for Dietrich and Ruggiano here.

Well let's not confuse "I'm looking forward to watching Marlins player X" for "can't wait to see him quickly become an all-star!"

 

Ozuna is what we got. Though if you didn't like Ruggiano's low OBP I'm not sure you can look foward to Ozuna. Actually they're kinda similar, and that's if Ozuna's power comes around.

 

One of Ozuna/Marisnick is going to have to figure out something to do at the plate. I don't have a big ceiling for Ozuna really so I'm probably not going to be disappointed.

Ozuna is a very toolsy guy with a high ceiling in my opinion. Very raw talent, but as he becomes a more advanced hitter he should continue to improve. I think he is absolutely worth being excited about.

 

Marisnick projects very similarly but with a higher ceiling due to better tools. They are both VERY 50/50 prospects, but one of the two should work out and be a pretty good player.

Marcell Ozuna is really not as good as some people on here seem to think. There's really nothing to suggest that he'll be a better hitter than Justin Ruggiano this year.

 

I think if he had some legitimate time in Double A then came up he would be a productive hitter. As it stands he will most likely struggle.

I'm excited because the Marlins and baseball are my number 1 team/sport so I'm always looking forward to it, for better or worse.

 

As far as my excitement for the 2014 Marlins specifically? I'm excited mostly based on the idea that since our 2013 was so bad, I wanna see how we improve this year, even if its just a minor improvement, I wanna watch it happen.

 

Also, whether you love or hate our offseason moves, they've definitely at least addressed our needs. I wanna know, again for better or worse, what comes of Salty, Jones, Furcal, McGee, Capps, Bogusevic, etc. If we didn't make any changes after 2013 then I wouldn't be so excited.

I think if he had some legitimate time in Double A then came up he would be a productive hitter. As it stands he will most likely struggle.

or at least we'd have a little more to go on.

 

all that said, I'm pleased they made some moves, even if some of them are only marginal improvements. So I'm still pretty excited for marlins baseball. Pitching, new catcher, outfield, bullpen, there's enough going on to keep me interested.

No one is calling Ozuna a future star, but I'd rather have him than Ruggiano for sure.

 

You said that the offense should be galvanized just by having Ozuna for a full year. While that doesn't necessarily mean that you think he'll be a future star, it sort of implies that you think he projects to be an above average offensive player this year at the very least. I don't see it.

 

With that said, you're absolutely right about Ozuna's defense. He was pretty fantastic in the OF last year. He can save a lot of runs with his arm.

I'll take Ozuna over Marisnick, but I don't see either guy starting for us in 2016, and it's not because they got so good that they needed to be traded.

 

The lack of power from Ozuna last year was disturbing to see, and Marisnick looks completely lost at the plate despite great defense. Both guys need at least another full year in the minors.

I'll take Ozuna over Marisnick, but I don't see either guy starting for us in 2016, and it's not because they got so good that they needed to be traded.

 

The lack of power from Ozuna last year was disturbing to see, and Marisnick looks completely lost at the plate despite great defense. Both guys need at least another full year in the minors.

 

I think that's the exact opposite of reality unless one of the two really bombs...

Ozuna is a very toolsy guy with a high ceiling in my opinion. Very raw talent, but as he becomes a more advanced hitter he should continue to improve. I think he is absolutely worth being excited about.

 

Marisnick projects very similarly but with a higher ceiling due to better tools. They are both VERY 50/50 prospects, but one of the two should work out and be a pretty good player.

You think everyone in the organization has a high ceiling.

Baseball is right around the corner, and I just can't get myself to feel all that excited. I can't even get myself to have one of those delusions where the Marlins might surprise people and compete this year. No, I feel like this roster makes for another predictable "fight for the basement" seasons. I am just so indifferent towards this team right now. Sure, I'll probably watch a lot at the beginning of the year, but its hard not to believe they will be out of it by Memorial Day as usual.

 

Anyone else feel the same way? Things have been really quiet around here and I sense there is zero buzz about this team. There is absolutely no momentum in trying to sign Stanton. Realistically, he's a goner, and it could happen as early as this year.

 

Its like we're getting ourselves ready to go through the motions of another season that really has very little hope of becoming something else.

I haven't had the same interest since the entire 2012 debacle. It actually felt like the Marlins were going to act like a real MLB team for the first time in my memory, but that lasted for less than 3 months. I've been watching players come and go for far too long to get attached anymore.

I think that's the exact opposite of reality unless one of the two really bombs...

I think you're right. They both have enough defensive value that they can be serviceable even with an unspectacular bat. I don't think both will stay on the team, but I feel like at least one of them will stick in the majors.

hello not been on site for months after last season how can you pump up for season we did get good pitching from Fernandez and Stanton i hope owmer ship learn from mistake this season not put aaa team on Field

hello not been on site for months after last season how can you pump up for season we did get good pitching from Fernandez and Stanton i hope owmer ship learn from mistake this season not put aaa team on Field

 

I don't think they are going to find an MLB team in two weeks. It's not happening.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.