Carlos Rodon Slipping: Would You Take Him?

Entendu

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post/_/id/1499/rodons-draft-stock-continues-to-drop

It's interesting to watch how this season has gone for Rodon. His fastball is down 3-5 MPH, he's been overworked in some starts, but his slider is still elite. There's a very real chance that he falls past #1.

Given all the crap that's been surrounding him this season, would you take him at #2?

(I would)

I still think the Disastros take him #1, but if he's there at #2, I would be thrilled. The other options aren't bad though, so either Rodon or Hoffman and I'm happy.

I take Aiken or Kolek. We have so many arms in the high minors, we can afford the risk/reward a prep arm brings us. No need to rush someone like Rodon with all the arms we have. We also don't need any more lefties...

If Rodon can turn it around, having him and Heaney in a rotation would be amazing, especially behind Jose.

And with how Eovaldi has developed, holy hell that top 4.

Realistically, whoever we draft will be pretty god-damn awesome, hopefully. Whether it be Hoffman or Rodon or Kolek or Aiken or maybe even Alex Jackson, why not?

I take Aiken or Kolek. We have so many arms in the high minors, we can afford the risk/reward a prep arm brings us. No need to rush someone like Rodon with all the arms we have. We also don't need any more lefties...

Heaney's the only lefty that we're at least somewhat certain will make he rotation. I don't think the fact that he's a lefty should be a negative.

I'm taking Rodon without a doubt. He's still got great numbers (although not earth shattering stats like before). The biggest concerns are his declining velocity and injury concerns related to how NC State has used him. He'd be a great 2nd overall pick. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him drop past the Astros given that those concerns are so real, and this Brady Aiken kid has apparently lit it up and shows signs of huge potential. Seems like that first pick will be Aiken or Rodon with Kolek as a dark horse (although these situations are fluid).

Rodon still has ace potential, and without the injury issues he's still a safe bet to at the very least be a #2/3 starter at the major league level.

Plus Fernandez/Heaney/Rodon for mid 2015 looks damn sexy.

I'm taking Rodon without a doubt. He's still got great numbers (although not earth shattering stats like before). The biggest concerns are his declining velocity and injury concerns related to how NC State has used him. He'd be a great 2nd overall pick. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him drop past the Astros given that those concerns are so real, and this Brady Aiken kid has apparently lit it up and shows signs of huge potential. Seems like that first pick will be Aiken or Rodon with Kolek as a dark horse (although these situations are fluid).

Rodon still has ace potential, and without the injury issues he's still a safe bet to at the very least be a #2/3 starter at the major league level.

Plus Fernandez/Heaney/Rodon for mid 2015 looks damn sexy.

And Eovaldi and whoever else!

While we should take the best available player, I really hope that it's a college guy that can be planted in our 25 man roster in a year to a year and a half. Whether it's a big bat (unlikely given the college crop this year) or a pitcher, I'd like him up ASAP.

While we should take the best available player, I really hope that it's a college guy that can be planted in our 25 man roster in a year to a year and a half. Whether it's a big bat (unlikely given the college crop this year) or a pitcher, I'd like him up ASAP.

Agreed, I'd like the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Baseball America in their mock draft still has Rondon going #1 to the Astros and the Marlins taking Tyler Kolek with 2nd overall pick

I like Aiken more, based on the scouting reports out there, than Kolek. He could move faster than most high schoolers too.

Ever since Frisaro came out with that article, every mock has us favoring Kolek over Aiken, even though most scouts believe Aiken is the better prospect. They think we find more of his prototype sexier, because of Beinfest.

More of which prototype? Kolek?

The reason I like Kolek is cause his senior numbers this year made Fernandez' high school numbers look almost pedestrian.

More of which prototype? Kolek?

The reason I like Kolek is cause his senior numbers this year made Fernandez' high school numbers look almost pedestrian.

I think you're making way too much of comparing high school numbers. Production is great, but when evaluating teenagers, it's more about projection of tools. Kolek might just be blowing his Heat past kids, it doesn't mean he's a better prospect than Aiken. Not that the peripherals aren't impressive, but it shouldn't be the main point.

I think you're making way too much of comparing high school numbers. Production is great, but when evaluating teenagers, it's more about projection of tools. Kolek might just be blowing his Heat past kids, it doesn't mean he's a better prospect than Aiken. Not that the peripherals aren't impressive, but it shouldn't be the main point.

100%.

My brother hit .505 with 3 homers, 15 doubles, and 38 RBI in 25 6A games... went undrafted and had to go to PBSC just to get a real look. Numbers mean nothing in high school for scouts.