Jarrod Saltalamacchia stinks

Erick

Some of you really must not understand how limited major league catching talent is. Salty is not very good, but in comparison to the league, he's not as bad as you guys make him seem. And none of you acknowledge the possibility that he could improve on last year.

Some of you really must not understand how limited major league catching talent is. Salty is not very good, but in comparison to the league, he's not as bad as you guys make him seem. And none of you acknowledge the possibility that he could improve on last year.

​But you don't acknowledge that there's a very real possibility we get the post all-star break 2014 Salty for the entire year this year

​But you don't acknowledge that there's a very real possibility we get the post all-star break 2014 Salty for the entire year this year

Do you really think he's going to hit .185/.260/.350 this season (not sure what the slash was but you know what I mean)? Is that REALLY a very real possibility?

Do you really think he's going to hit .185/.260/.350 this season (not sure what the slash was but you know what I mean)? Is that REALLY a very real possibility?

​his post all star slash was .221/.317/.318 with 61 ks in 150 abs and horrendous defense and yes I think that is a very REAL possibility.

​Even with Fangraph's very generous 1.4 fWAR, here is a list of catchers who were better than Salty last season:

Lucroy

Posey

Martin

Gomes

Mesoraco

Ruiz

Perez

Iannetta

Rivera

Molina

Norris

Castillo

McCann

Gattis

Avila

Suzuki

Navarro

Zunino

Jaso

Flowers

Ramos

Castro

salty's swing and pitch recognition has just been atrocious for awhile now. i was able to see a few spring games on tv this year and it looks like it did for most of last season. the amount of pitches he swings and misses at is astonishing. it's almost like he's having eyesight problems considering how FAR from the bat the pitch is. his swing has a long looping element to it and generally looks quite poor. at this point would Mathis really be a worse option considering you're gonna get roughly the same terribad offensive production but you'll get much better defense out of him.

​Even with Fangraph's very generous 1.4 fWAR, here is a list of catchers who were better than Salty last season:

Lucroy

Posey

Martin

Gomes

Mesoraco

Ruiz

Perez

Iannetta

Rivera

Molina

Norris

Castillo

McCann

Gattis

Avila

Suzuki

Navarro

Zunino

Jaso

Flowers

Ramos

Castro

​Want another lol to go with that? According to Baseball Reference (sure, not as popular as fangraphs), you could add our backup catcher, Jeff Mathis to the list of catchers with a higher WAR that him. Of course, that's not saying much considering they gave him a 0.0 WAR for last year. (Jeff had a 0.1 WAR, according to them).

Salty is not as bad as some of you seem to think. Wasn't he like a 1.5 WAR player according to fangraphs for only $6M? Even with an OPS just over .700 he is the best catcher we've had in a long time.

​He still sucks defensively, which can not be ignored.

Well Wild Card is ignoring it

But it can not be ignored.

​But he's ignoring therefore your thesis is faulty

​BUT IT CAN NOT BE IGNORED! WILD CARD, STOP RIPPING HOLES INTO THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE!

Is his defense really that bad?

IS IT REALLY!?!?!?

​yes.

if you cant see that you are blind. His D behind the plate sucked when he was in the Atlanta organization, it sucked in the Texas organization, it sucked in the Boston organization and its still full of sucky shit in the Miami organization.

But he wasnt an abject failure offensively in Boston the whole time, and he got a sucker in Loria to pay him a real contract, when Boston would remove him or not play him in playoff games due to his atrocious defense the postseaston prior.

You guys know I was being sarcastic with the defense comment right?

Offensively we know Salty is going to swing and miss. But when he connects there's some pop there and he does get on base. Hopefully this year the offense can be more consistent. There's ability there, hopefully we get some better results throughout the entire year.

To be truthfully honest, to me, the catchers position is a defense position. I could care less about the offensive output from that position, I just want the catcher to be able to be defensively sound, and being a good battery mate is always a plus (I don't think I'm out of line in my belief that a good defensive catcher has a sizable impact on pitcher performance). So it just frustrates me a bit when our team constantly trots out these catchers that are just bad at their position and are mediocre at best at the plate.

Offensively we know Salty is going to swing and miss. But when he connects there's some pop there and he does get on base. Hopefully this year the offense can be more consistent. There's ability there, hopefully we get some better results throughout the entire year.

​He has a career .311 OBP. That is horrid.

How about that past 3-4 years? It's easy to forget how young he made it up to the bigs.

How about that past 3-4 years? It's easy to forget how young he made it up to the bigs.

​2011-.288

2012-.288

2013-.338

2014-.320

2013 was his best in that time frame and it is mediocre at best.

​2011-.288

2012-.288

2013-.338

2014-.320

2013 was his best in that time frame and it is mediocre at best.

Better than John Buck, Miguel Olivo, etc etc.

Well since we're stuck with him here's hoping he plays a little better. Maybe hits some more home runs or something this year.

​60 home runs and 540 strikeouts.

I'll take the under on hr and over on strikeouts for the rest of his career.