Matt Dominguez DFA'd

"The Astros announced that they have designated third baseman Matt Dominguez for assignment in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for top prospect Carlos Correa, whose promotion is now official."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/06/astros-designate-matt-dominguez-for-assignment.html

How many of the players we drafted in the 1st round in the past 10 years are even in the majors anymore?

• Coghlan
  • Yelich
  • Fernandez

In the last 10 years, your list is accurate, if you look even further back the only other first rounder the marlins had that is still in the bigs is Adrian Gonzalez

​Yup. Would have been 5 players, but Beckett retired. 

Dominguez was statistically the worst player in baseball last season, so yeah...we should definitely bring him in and let him start every game while we're at it. Need to get that top-5 pick in 2016, right Frisaro?

​Hech was the worst by WAR 2 years ago and now he's putting up good numbers. FRISARO IS NOT WRONG HERE. ARE YOU ALL BLIND??

No but seriously, Dominguez sucks. 

Dominguez was statistically the worst player in baseball last season, so yeah...we should definitely bring him in and let him start every game while we're at it. Need to get that top-5 pick in 2016, right Frisaro?

​Well, it wouldn't be the worst idea.  The problem is that he's not going to help us on the MLB team right now.  If we could send him to AAA, I would be all for it.  To do that however, we would have t o pick him up and then DFA him again to see if he clears waivers for us.  

Some players take longer to develop than others.  Look at Cameron Maybin.  He is starting in ATL, and having a very nice season so far.  Of course that could change, I understand sample size, but he could also have turned a corner.  

Dominguez never had a really high ceiling, but if his defense is as advertised, and he can hit 20-25 homers at 3rd, he might be worth the pickup.  Especially considering that we have no depth at that position in the minors at all.  Hopefully Brian Anderson will turn into that prospect but who knows if he ends up sticking at 3rd.

As I said though, the problem is sneaking him into AAA. Of course waiving Solano would also make sense but they aren't going to do that.  

There's a bizarre amount of hate on this board for a guy that made 48 PA's for this team.

​Carlos Lee had 292 AB's for us. I dislike 2012 Carlos Lee as a player far more than I hate Dominguez the player.

​Carlos Lee had 292 AB's for us. I dislike 2012 Carlos Lee as a player far more than I hate Dominguez the player.

I don't think Dominguez is good, but if Prado got hurt he'd be the starter for this team. There wouldn't be anyone else. Our lack of depth at every position but OF is really scary 

​Well, it wouldn't be the worst idea.  The problem is that he's not going to help us on the MLB team right now.  If we could send him to AAA, I would be all for it.  To do that however, we would have t o pick him up and then DFA him again to see if he clears waivers for us.  

Some players take longer to develop than others.  Look at Cameron Maybin.  He is starting in ATL, and having a very nice season so far.  Of course that could change, I understand sample size, but he could also have turned a corner.  

Dominguez never had a really high ceiling, but if his defense is as advertised, and he can hit 20-25 homers at 3rd, he might be worth the pickup.  Especially considering that we have no depth at that position in the minors at all.  Hopefully Brian Anderson will turn into that prospect but who knows if he ends up sticking at 3rd.

As I said though, the problem is sneaking him into AAA. Of course waiving Solano would also make sense but they aren't going to do that.  

​We wouldn't have to DFA him. Astro's DFA'd him to make room on the 40 man. We could claim and option him. And there's plenty of room on the 40 man (I only count 37).

​We wouldn't have to DFA him. Astro's DFA'd him to make room on the 40 man. We could claim and option him. And there's plenty of room on the 40 man (I only count 37).

​I wasn't aware they could do that.  I thought if you claimed a waived player you had to put him on the 25 man roster.  Thanks for the info.

"The Astros announced that they have designated third baseman Matt Dominguez for assignment in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for top prospect Carlos Correa, whose promotion is now official."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/06/astros-designate-matt-dominguez-for-assignment.html

How many of the players we drafted in the 1st round in the past 10 years are even in the majors anymore?

• Coghlan
  • Yelich
  • Fernandez

​Pathetic, and only 2 on this team.