2015 Positives

Guest Vince0926

2015 positives?? Where the fuck do I start? 2015 produced 3 wins and 1 loss in person, made a good friend at one of the games, got an Marlins style FSU hat, saw a new stadium I haven't been to before and was pumped up when we hit .500 in April. Oh this is Marlins team accomplishments? The fuck do I know?

Realmuto - no, not saying he's the next CJ but he seems to be capable of at least being an average receiver with above average wheels and not a black hole offensively like mathis and salty are. 

Gordon's blazing hot start

Capps being a disappointment when he DOESN'T strike out the side (and i'm going to combine this with the delight of listening to just about every other announcer/manager whining about how unfair it is...c'mon you have the fortune of playing the marlins already..what else do you want???)

the positive vibes going INTO the season

Realmuto - no, not saying he's the next CJ but he seems to be capable of at least being an average receiver with above average wheels and not a black hole offensively like mathis and salty are. 

over 162 games, Realmuto is a 2 WAR player. that's fucking incredible for a Marlins catcher, let alone one that 24 years old & under club control for another 6 years.

Hech not being a negative WAR player is a positive.  I mean this version I can deal with.

In terms of the long term future of the team, Hech was probably the best positive to have this season. Based on WAR he's one of the top 5 shortstop's in the National League. I'm not even asking THAT of him long term, so if he could produced seasons like this regularly he has an Alex Gonzalez style spot on this team for a few years.

Other than that, it gets tough. Capps as mentioned already, Ramos as well. Sam Dyson trade was a positive gain. Justin Bour emerging as a possible platoon guy next season and Dietrich hitting like a major league caliber starter.

I understand the Realmuto praise given his decent defense and a little bat, but I think it's more of an effect of "at least he's not Salty" than people realize. He's not in the top 20 MLB catchers and likely shouldn't be starting if we actually want to finish a season over .500 in the future.

Yelich started the season as a huge negative and has slowly built himself back up into a positive. Amazing he's still just 23 years old so I have to mention locking him down while we still could was another positive. 

Other than that there are way too many negatives about the current and future team to mention. The positives I mentioned aren't enough to prop up a winning ballclub, and the negatives are a big enough problem that we're a half season of under .500 baseball in 2016 away from warranting a complete fire sale. For me that includes anybody not named Stanton and Yelich (yes that includes Fernandez since there's no chance in hell we'll be able to re-sign him by 2019).

Realmuto has certainly been a top-20 catcher over the past 2 months. It's not an "at least he's not Salty" situation. He's been playing pretty well, but it's questionable if it's sustainable. 

Yeah, I'll admit I'm certainly not the best person to judge Realmuto since I haven't watched the team regularly for at least a month now. I followed Realmuto closely as he progressed through the minors and thought I had a pretty good feel for the type of prospect he was. Definitely felt like he needed a little more time in AAA, but his defense was certainly top notch from what I saw when he got called up. Looking up and seeing that he's posted .750+ OPS' the last two months makes me feel better about everything, but like you said I'm not sure how sustainable it is. Realmuto was always an up and down hitter even during his minor league career and never projected as a top tier long term starter. I still feel confident that this team needs to acquire an established catcher if they have any tiny hope of contending next season, but I'm fully prepared to go into next season with Realmuto and let him prove himself the first few months.

If it were up to me, I'd shore up C, 1B, and 3B in the offseason (I'd love to trade Hech at his peak value, but I've accepted a long time ago he'll be here forever). I still like the outfield of Yelich/Ozuna/Stanton, and Gordon is good at 2B. Everywhere else I'd look to upgrade and not settle for what we have currently. This team needs help at those positions, with the bench (we have easily the worst depth in baseball), the starting rotation needs to be shored up health wise and in the #3-5 spots, and we need a new manager obviously. Oh, and the minor leagues needs to be completely rebuilt (which means great drafts are a MUST the next few years). Big, big problems that aren't easily fixed.