Jason Hammel

dim

This is pretty surprising. 3.83 ERA this season and consistently good pitcher for the Cubs. He isn't a #1 or 2, but definitely a solid #3 starter option for a team. 34 years old so he in all likelihood will not receive a long term deal. 

Not saying we should or shouldn't go after him, but he is another name to now consider.

Option was for $10 million, so the Cubs felt he wasn't worth that amount next season (either that or Hammel and the Cubs have a good enough relationship that the Cubs let him walk for more money instead of trading him) if you want to consider a price range for him.

If I'm to throw an opinion, I'd definitely make a run. A 2 year, $18 million (or even 1 year $10 million with an $8 million option) sounds like a good way to improve the rotation. Doesn't take up long term payroll (since it is going to rise exponentially in 2018) and definitely improves the team next season as long as his second half regression wasn't a sign of things to come.

I have no idea if he will require more money. Anything over $10 million a year for two seasons makes it far more difficult to do.

So absolutely he's not a playoff caliber player.

From MLBTR :  " He experienced elbow tightness late in the regular season, though, and the club subsequently left him off its roster during playoff victories over the Giants, Dodgers and Indians "

He should be on the Marlins radar. But really, we can't spend real money on someone like this if there is a good chance he's going to be injured for any significant time the upcoming season/seasons. 

From MLBTR :  " He experienced elbow tightness late in the regular season, though, and the club subsequently left him off its roster during playoff victories over the Giants, Dodgers and Indians "

He should be on the Marlins radar. But really, we can't spend real money on someone like this if there is a good chance he's going to be injured for any significant time the upcoming season/seasons. 

It reminds me someone who named Rea.