Marlins Trade Rumors

It takes a very competent person to get a ballpark built. It was done under budget as well. Samson might be many things but he isn't incompetent, not that I value your opinion on this anyways. 

There are a small handful of higher ups that are talented, and Samson is one of them. And I say this as a major critic of this organization.

I've felt the same way about Samson for awhile now - and this is coming from someone who thought he was just lucked into his position and was some annoying little Loria shill. He's proven to be perhaps the most competent front office person they have and not only that, he would even answer emails directly without canned responses on the few occasions myself (and others on the board) have reached out to him directly over the years.  Samson is aces and I hope he lands on his feet after the ownership change if they don't plan on keeping him around.

It takes a very competent person to get a ballpark built. It was done under budget as well. Samson might be many things but he isn't incompetent, not that I value your opinion on this anyways. 

There are a small handful of higher ups that are talented, and Samson is one of them. And I say this as a major critic of this organization.

Well not for nothing, but if the ballpark is his only claim to fame and albeit still a controversial topic to this day. Then I'll take my chances elsewhere. If there were a list of good things he's done and terrible things he's done and said I'm pretty sure the bad side would be longer.Thats all I'm trying to say is unfortunately the bad has outweighed the good w him and current regime. Instead of being a dick and saying I don't value your opinion. I'll say we'll just agree to disagree on this. No problem 

As someone who is critical of the organization as you mentioned. I'm sure we prob would agree on other things. Since there's several concerning issues with our fav team. Good day 

I think Samson is the least of the Marlins organizational problems.  I think he is a great businessman, knows how to work with the political leaders (i.e. beat them up) and I'm not convinced that tv deal is really his fault, though I cant remember, nor really care.  Anyone care to go more in depth on that?  I sense that was more of a Loria issue or a table it until after the ownership change type of deal.

The fans dont show up because of decisions made by Loria, the fans dont show up because Mike Hill is a failure at his job.

If they have to keep one member of the front office in the new ownership, Samson would be the only one that seems competent enough to stay.

Well not for nothing, but if the ballpark is his only claim to fame and albeit still a controversial topic to this day. Then I'll take my chances elsewhere. If there were a list of good things he's done and terrible things he's done and said I'm pretty sure the bad side would be longer.Thats all I'm trying to say is unfortunately the bad has outweighed the good w him and current regime. Instead of being a dick and saying I don't value your opinion. I'll say we'll just agree to disagree on this. No problem 

As someone who is critical of the organization as you mentioned. I'm sure we prob would agree on other things. Since there's several concerning issues with our fav team. Good day 

I'm a dick. I'm fine with it. I know myself very well.

I think your pros and cons list is a good idea. You should start working on it. My suggestion would be to start with interviewing Samson's past and present subordinates. Then interview State and City officials from 2002 until 2012 that communicated regularly with Samson in his efforts to get a ballpark built. Then interview the people who've trained for marathons with him. Then I would talk to Samson about how he enjoyed earning his JD. I'd follow that up with a huge list of ballpark stuff. Talk to Huizenga and ask about how he failed to get a new ballpark built. Talk to John Henry and ask about how he failed to get a ballpark built. Sit down with Samson himself and talk to him. Ask about his experiences writing and performing in a play performed in the gables. Ask about working for your lunatic stepfather for over a decade and still manage to get shit done.

By no means is he a superstar, but he's absolutely competent, where as I don't believe you'd be capable of operating a soda machine at mcdonalds. 

I think your pros and cons list is a good idea. You should start working on it. My suggestion would be to start with interviewing Samson's past and present subordinates. Then interview State and City officials from 2002 until 2012 that communicated regularly with Samson in his efforts to get a ballpark built. Then interview the people who've trained for marathons with him. Then I would talk to Samson about how he enjoyed earning his JD. I'd follow that up with a huge list of ballpark stuff. Talk to Huizenga and ask about how he failed to get a new ballpark built. Talk to John Henry and ask about how he failed to get a ballpark built. Sit down with Samson himself and talk to him. Ask about his experiences writing and performing in a play performed in the gables. Ask about working for your lunatic stepfather for over a decade and still manage to get shit done.

By no means is he a superstar, but he's absolutely competent, where as I don't believe you'd be capable of operating a soda machine at mcdonalds. 

Wow.. what I nice guy you are. I was trying to be decent. Geez! Obviously I offended you and your man crush. Ding fries are done!! 

Wow.. what I nice guy you are. I was trying to be decent. Geez! Obviously I offended you and your man crush. Ding fries are done!! 

And the meme you're referencing is the most capable version of you. 

I think Samson is the least of the Marlins organizational problems.  I think he is a great businessman, knows how to work with the political leaders (i.e. beat them up) and I'm not convinced that tv deal is really his fault, though I cant remember, nor really care.  Anyone care to go more in depth on that?  I sense that was more of a Loria issue or a table it until after the ownership change type of deal.

The fans dont show up because of decisions made by Loria, the fans dont show up because Mike Hill is a failure at his job.

If they have to keep one member of the front office in the new ownership, Samson would be the only one that seems competent enough to stay.

Obviously from these discussions a lot of us see the negative in Samson and a lot of us see the positive in Samson.  Weight of the balance isn't important at the moment.  My guess is Samson stays on at least for the moment.  He is in a position where he knows the workings of the operation, and I don't believe anyone can just slip into the role seamlessly. And as some has pointed out this position isn't in every team so however the roles have been split/meshed will be different elsewhere.  

Now a new owner comes in, and I guess we could look at the last owner turnover in other teams and see what has happened.  But right now as I write this my opinion is Samson will stay on.  How long is the question.  If it is Mas he has a relationship with Samson, and it may be good or bad.  Don't know, and I don't know if anyone can claim that knowledge in here.  Yet he is a businessman.  So although there are many want to see him out the door with Loria, it's my opinion it isn't going to happen at least until the new owner/staff is solid/solidified.

Then we may be better able to know how good Samson is/was.

Obviously from these discussions a lot of us see the negative in Samson and a lot of us see the positive in Samson.  Weight of the balance isn't important at the moment.  My guess is Samson stays on at least for the moment.  He is in a position where he knows the workings of the operation, and I don't believe anyone can just slip into the role seamlessly. And as some has pointed out this position isn't in every team so however the roles have been split/meshed will be different elsewhere.  

Now a new owner comes in, and I guess we could look at the last owner turnover in other teams and see what has happened.  But right now as I write this my opinion is Samson will stay on.  How long is the question.  If it is Mas he has a relationship with Samson, and it may be good or bad.  Don't know, and I don't know if anyone can claim that knowledge in here.  Yet he is a businessman.  So although there are many want to see him out the door with Loria, it's my opinion it isn't going to happen at least until the new owner/staff is solid/solidified.

Then we may be better able to know how good Samson is/was.

I agree w you , well stated and I'm fine with a wait and see approach with new ownership.Maybe he is ok. Just the stigma w him and Loria is a bad taste overall ( good thing I have my soda machine to get a drink from) it's just intriguing to think about fresh start with all new regime. That's all, If he stays on that's fine. I am thankful he got stadium done. It was needed for sure. As a fan all I want to see is success of franchise in every aspect of organization. Hopefully those days are on the horizon sooner than later. 

People keep saying he's a great businessman or competent at his job, but I have trouble fathoming that and don't see anything to back that up. He's in charge of financial operations of the organization, but it's $400 million in debt and according to reports on pace to lose another $70-80 million this season.

How does that make him a great businessman? 

You fail to account for the lunacy of the owner of the team.  That and I dont buy that they are losing that much, unless you factor in the money Loria pays himself.

With the sale going on, those financials were apparently confirmed. They really are losing a lot.

Like I said, Loria must be the most inept owner in all of sports as they literally make zero money outside of revenue sharing.  Due mostly to Jeff Loria himself.

Was it confirmed that Loria is still paying his management company a consulting fee?

It will be very sad if the Marlins don't sell high on guys having career years, especially a Justin Bour.  He's a nice guy and all, but he's already almost 30 and I don't think someone with his body type is gonna hold up in the National League.  He needs to go to the American Leage and be a DH.   Teams are handing away prospects like candy this year and its time to cash in.  Tyler Moore seems like a capable backup to fill in anyhow.  Everyone keeps  saying that this team has a good core of players but this same core has actually been around together for quite some time now - an eternity for Marlins standards - and haven't even accomplished a winning season.  Spending money on starting pitchers is the worst possible thing the Marlins can do because they will never sign the top free agents and get stuck with people like Chen for terrible contracts.

Not necessary,even with a 1-2-3 save today he's still a below average closer,you should know it…

He's a below average closer???? He's only blown two games this season and has saved like 90 out of 100+ games in his career. Even as off as he was last night he was only one strike away from getting the save. 

Ok,but that would be long long seasons and everybody here would blame the owner and the GM after every ugly loss…

You complain that rebuilding seasons would be long long seasons with ugly losses where everyone would blame the owner and GM.... But that's pretty much been every season here since 2003 with the exception of 2009! EVERY YEAR is a long crappy season here with ugly losses and blame on the front office! 

I saw this discussion in an article.  And the belief that Stanton may be willing to waive the clause.  But (1) he just paid mega bucks for a home which he may not want to live part time in, (2) there is like $295M left on his contract and the way other teams may take a slice (not the WHOLE thing) is for the "trade" be sweetened by one or more other players PLUS $$$.  Now if it is true they are losing $70M this year, would it be wise to lose player(s) PLUS $$$.  And you now what $$$ means right at a restaurant, yes??