Marlins Trade Rumors

i can't believe some people are saying JT needs to go - wait...oh that's right i'm on this board....yeah, unless we had Posey back there nobody will be happy.  Realmuto has a shot at being the best overall catcher the Marlins have ever had outside Ivan.  Catchers that produce and that can block and actually throw out runners are NOT easy to find...but oh hey, his pitch framing must be why the fish pitching staff sucks.  get rid of him!  get a life.

Joel Sherman with an article in the NY Post saying the Marlins might be missing out on a huge return for Straily at the deadline, whose numbers actually compare to Jose Quintana. He says he gets what the team is trying to do by saving the young controllable guys for the next owners but he thinks they really should see if someone will overpay for Straily. 

Joel Sherman with an article in the NY Post saying the Marlins might be missing out on a huge return for Straily at the deadline, whose numbers actually compare to Jose Quintana. He says he gets what the team is trying to do by saving the young controllable guys for the next owners but he thinks they really should see if someone will overpay for Straily. 

Absolutely. Another missed opportunity by this front office.

Realmuto is terrible at framing pitches and he's below average at using his body (and equipment) to block the ball. 

Beyond that, he is really good and I don't see the need to trade him. 

This pretty much sums up my dislike for him. I think he is worth a kings ransom. If you want to optimize his value you could move his position, but then he'd be worth less as a trade candidate. I'm not trying to sit here and say he is the worst catcher in the league. BUT in some aspects (important ones you could argue) he is near the bottom. We currently have no farm. It would be a good time to move him. I want to win games sooner rather than later. A big return on a player that has real faults, might be a good move.

This pretty much sums up my dislike for him. I think he is worth a kings ransom. If you want to optimize his value you could move his position, but then he'd be worth less as a trade candidate. I'm not trying to sit here and say he is the worst catcher in the league. BUT in some aspects (important ones you could argue) he is near the bottom. We currently have no farm. It would be a good time to move him. I want to win games sooner rather than later. A big return on a player that has real faults, might be a good move.

I disagree with how important framing is.  Good pitchers don't need their pitches framed and good umpires shouldn't be fooled by a catcher.  The focus should be on acquiring better pitchers.  I also haven't seen him struggling with blocking pitches.  He is a very good defensive catcher.  His catch and throw skills are excellent as is his footwork playing bunts in front of home plate.  Also, we have no catching dept.  Who replaces him?  Tellis is not very good defensively, and Ellis can't hit.  J T is also very affordable and very controllable. There is really no benefit to trading him for prospects who may or may not pan out.  J T is the type of player we should be targeting and not trading.

I'm sure the Marlins are not ignoring all offers for Straily either.  Even if they say they're not trading "core" pieces they'll still listen to offers and if they're blown away, then they'd pull the trigger - as would any GM. 

Also I still can't fathom how anyone on here can still be arguing that our starting catcher is a "problem area" that should be addressed. 

sigh

I'm guessing you still want a platoon partner for Bour too? 

I have my doubts about framing statistics. A lot of the best framers from a couple of years ago are now considered some of the worst. Jonathan Lucroy, for example, used to be the best and now he's terrible.

Salvador Perez is another guy who rather consistently rates pretty badly, and I think everybody would take him.

I think Realmuto is solid and we'd have to be overwhelmed to trade him.

Also I still can't fathom how anyone on here can still be arguing that our starting catcher is a "problem area" that should be addressed.

I've noticed you're terrible sometimes at comprehending posts. 

I don't think anyone said catcher is a problem area that needs to be addressed. 

His positives and negatives were explored and also someone pointed out his trade value is very high right now and we have almost no farm system.