Manfred claims he didn't know Jeter's plan

SonOfJack

I also hate when everything is justified because we "won two world series titles" and thus, you should accept everything else in between because it is a trade you should want every time.  Relevance please.  Basically, "shut up because you have two titles".

-------------------------------------------

"Shortly after Le Batard said the Marlins don’t deserve any support in South Florida, Manfred said: “Let me just stop you. I understand the concerns that have been expressed in South Florida. The one thing you leave out is there have been two World Series champions in South Florida.

“Whether people like everything that happened in between, after or before, there are a lot of markets who would make that trade in terms of having those two World Series championships.” 

Actually I think Manfred's point was the salary dump is strategic, and even if he knew about it - which he says he doesn't - he wouldn't have a problem with it because everybody's doing it these days. He wasn't saying that the Sherman/Jeter group doesn't have the money to go forward - just that this is the way they want to do things. Not endorsing this point, just saying that this is his (BS) position.

Why would he say that? That makes the new ownership and him look worse. Wouldn't it have been in the best interest of both the Marlins and MLB to say that yes they knew this was coming and then say they support what Jeter is doing? What a moron.

Hahaha ! this guy was too smart or too stupid !? in the beginning he said the fans of this team shouldn't upset to the trade of G because Jeter had a perfect plan and now he saw the situation was not what he wanted then he changed his mind and said he just doesn't know what he's doing.

I guess I’m alone here.  I wasn’t impressed with Dan on this one.  I love Dans work.  I’ve listened to his show since it first started back in 790s infancy. I think this is the first thing he’s done that I didn’t like. To me he came off too unhinged and levied too many accusations and assumptions at the commissioner.  I think there was a way to better prepare for this to get good information and this wasn’t it. 

I guess I’m alone here.  I wasn’t impressed with Dan on this one.  I love Dans work.  I’ve listened to his show since it first started back in 790s infancy. I think this is the first thing he’s done that I didn’t like. To me he came off too unhinged and levied too many accusations and assumptions at the commissioner.  I think there was a way to better prepare for this to get good information and this wasn’t it. 

i mostly agree. Le Batard comes off like a dick, but Manfred didn't come off much better

I thought Manfred was completely detached and dispassionate about the Marlins history of past multiple fire sales and fan betrayal and angst. Didn't matter in the slightest to him. The only fact that mattered was 1.2 billion. So it didn't seem to register with him or the MLB owners that the very existence of baseball in the South Florida market was at stake if it ended up approving an ownership group that would once again initiate a tear down of the team, including trading (giving) away a once in a lifetime player for salary relief. There is no good will that would allow any breathing space for the Marlins, possessed of a batting order that rivaled the NL Champs, to again tank for multiple years in the hopes of "rebuilding" with prospects traded for by Michael Hill.  

While I can understand how and why Le Batard became unhinged, he did us a disservice as I thought his interview would have been far more effective if he had focused in on why the selection and approval of the Sherman/Jeter group was so damaging for baseball in South Florida. In a sense, he let Manfred off the hook. Manfred still managed though to come off as disingenuous and contemptible with his lie about not knowing that a tear down would be coming.           

LeBatard definitely wasn't pleasant but that doesn't take away from Manfred plainly denying something that has been said since before Jeter and Sherman were approved. And while I know he was being prodded aggressively Manfred got loud and defensive way too quickly as if he knew he screwed up and lost control of himself. I'm shocked he didn't show more composure and couldn't come up with better answers than he did. Manfred is the one who loses in this exchange because LeBatard is "just" the radio host. 

I thought his interview would have been far more effective if he had focused in on why the selection and approval of the Sherman/Jeter group was so damaging for baseball in South Florida. In a sense, he let Manfred off the hook.           

This wouldnt work because one can easily say that they're making baseball here better in the long run, not damaging it. I think LeBatard picked the right thing to run with as soon as Manfred said what he said. 

Barry Jackson shed some more light on this and Dan referred to it today. Jeters group did circulate a plan to lower payroll immediately.  This still doesn’t upset me.  I think Dan is wasting energy here and he suggests a great concern for the future of the sport here but he is doing nothing to help it. 

How Mas would be different is pure speculation.  I thought that MLB was supposed to have set guidelines to assure that owners are solvent enough to run a team without making the team a joke.  Since the rebuild method has been successful with Astros and Cubs, no one can yet argue that the plan is not solid.  It just seems though that MLB and Loria had it set to sell to golden boy Jeter regardless.  They may have had the highest bid, which is in Loria's favor and his prerogative, but still needed approval subject to the other criteria,  and the sale may not have represented the best choice for the franchise's success or our fans, which is what it appears LeBetard was getting at with Manfred. 

Dan has a platform.  I think he clearly cares about baseball and Miami.  He should figure out a way to encourage people to get engaged and ready to support the marlins once they earn it again.   If the future of the sport here depends on our support when a good product is in place then powerful people should help people understand that and be ready for it 

Dan has a platform.  I think he clearly cares about baseball and Miami.  He should figure out a way to encourage people to get engaged and ready to support the marlins once they earn it again.   If the future of the sport here depends on our support when a good product is in place then powerful people should help people understand that and be ready for it 

yeah, there's a fine line between encouraging support and enabling bad owners. As someone who roots for a team owned by guys who treat the fans like shitheads and laugh about it, you are lucky to have a guy willing to be outspoken like LeBatard.