Starting Shortstop

canada-marlin24

It will be a platoon.  I prefer Rojas though if we were gonna play one every day.  I think he is a ++ with the glove even though he is below average or average at best offensively.  Riddle to me is whatever defensively and a - with the bat.  If Rojas can be a .700 + OPS thats a 2 WAR a year kind of guy.

I think they're a wash overall.  Riddle has a better bat and Rojas has a better glove. 

Ill never understand why people think Riddle has any kind of potential with the bat.  Only reason he was even called up last year was because Hech and Rojas and i believe one other guy all got injured back to back.  He's literally almost never done anything with the bat in the minors and was bad with the bat when he got called up overall if you're not swayed by the cool moment of the walk off against the mets.

Not saying Rojas is anything special with the bat, but he is a top notch defender and he's at least had some successful times with the bat in the minors in AAA the year or 2 before he came up here full time.  The only plus tool between the 2 of them is Rojas' glove.  If Riddle had any kind of long term potential id side with giving him more time, but I think id rather Rojas play a little more than Riddle and get AB's every day and hope he can OPS above .700 and maybe try to get a prospect for him at the deadline if possible. 

I think they're saying Riddle is still not 100% from his shoulder and may not make the Opening Day roster. That's why they're looking at Rojas before Riddle right now. If both were healthy I think Riddle starts and Rojas becomes more of the super utility role. 

I feel like Prado will be more of a super utility guy getting 3-4 starts a week at 2b, LF maybe, and 3b while Rojas is more of a late inning defensive replacement.

Ill never understand why people think Riddle has any kind of potential with the bat.  Only reason he was even called up last year was because Hech and Rojas and i believe one other guy all got injured back to back.  He's literally almost never done anything with the bat in the minors and was bad with the bat when he got called up overall if you're not swayed by the cool moment of the walk off against the mets.

Not saying Rojas is anything special with the bat, but he is a top notch defender and he's at least had some successful times with the bat in the minors in AAA the year or 2 before he came up here full time.  The only plus tool between the 2 of them is Rojas' glove.  If Riddle had any kind of long term potential id side with giving him more time, but I think id rather Rojas play a little more than Riddle and get AB's every day and hope he can OPS above .700 and maybe try to get a prospect for him at the deadline if possible. 

I think Riddle shouted some good patience at the plate as well as some pop. He was doing quite well and then, as expected, went through a bit of a slump which he was starting to come out of when he got hurt.

Rojas for sure.

Anderson needs to be in AAA for 6 weeks to add a year of service time to his club control, plus get everyday AB which he won't get with all of Bour, Castro, Rojas, Dietrich, and Prado around.

I would honestly like to see them "audition" their trade candidates everywhere:

Dietrich - 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, and LF

Castro - 2B, SS, and maybe even 3B or LF here and there

Rojas - 2B, SS, 3B, and LF

Prado - 2B, 3B, LF, RF

Not all the time, but throw them an odd-start somewhere else or do a position change in the 6th inning on a pitching change 1-2 a week.

Chances are those 4 guys aren't on the team August 1, so get some film on them at other positions. Maybe they can be pitched as starting players if they hit to their capabilities (let's hope), but maybe create a high floor for them as premium bench players if they can exhibit the ability to cover something else competently.

This is practically probably just a thing for Dietrich at 1B and 3B, and Rojas and Prado in general, but still.

Just maximize what you got while we wait for the kids.