Frisaro doesn't think Marlins will trade Realmuto

SilverBullet

I don't think he meant don't be sellers, I think he meant we have more pieces that can be kept than one would think. Not everyone will be available is his point. 

I know it's the process of a rebuilding,but it's also really difficult to a fan to suffer the pain of losing veteran players and it seems endless,I know the process of a rebuilding would be very long and one month of good record (we're above .500 this month) means nothing but it's really suck to keep losing core players for prospects (I think we already traded enough veterans and stocking up enough prospects).

I know it's the process of a rebuilding,but it's also really difficult to a fan to suffer the pain of losing veteran players and it seems endless,I know the process of a rebuilding would be very long and one month of good record (we're above .500 this month) means nothing but it's really suck to keep losing core players for prospects (I think we already traded enough veterans and stocking up enough prospects).

You gotta learn to understand who's a core player and who isn't. If they trade Realmuto yes it will be hard and it will hurt. But if they trade Castro you shouldn't be getting upset over that because he's not part of the long term plan here. Trades will always happen. Can't expect them to keep the same players forever nor should you want them to. 

Trade Realmuto. This team is still a ways off and JT is having a career year.

He's on pace for a 5+ WAR season. I'd rather bet that he's not a 5+ WAR player consistently and get some elite talent for him than bet he's upped his game significantly based on less than half a season's worth of play. It's about time we sell high on someone

Trade Realmuto. This team is still a ways off and JT is having a career year.

He's on pace for a 5+ WAR season. I'd rather bet that he's not a 5+ WAR player consistently and get some elite talent for him than bet he's upped his game significantly based on less than half a season's worth of play. It's about time we sell high on someone

You would rather bet on an unproven player?

JT is constantly improving. This isn’t a fluke, it’s a natural progression.

You would rather bet on an unproven player?

JT is constantly improving. This isn’t a fluke, it’s a natural progression.

Multiple unproven players whose primes would fall entirely within our window of contention.

You can't be certain it's not a fluke. Odds are that he can't sustain this level of play for a whole season

Multiple unproven players whose primes would fall entirely within our window of contention.

You can't be certain it's not a fluke. Odds are that he can't sustain this level of play for a whole season

But he's improved every year for the last few years.....it's not as if he's been hitting at Hech levels and suddenly has a monster year out of nowhere.

JT is not 34. He’s 27. 

If we are good in four years (which should be the expectation), he will be 31. I can remember a pretty good Marlins team led by a 31-year-old catcher. 

JT is not 34. He’s 27. 

If we are good in four years (which should be the expectation), he will be 31. I can remember a pretty good Marlins team led by a 31-year-old catcher. 

in 4 years, he'll also be a free agent. There's no guarantee that we sign him to an extension - and even if we do, it most likely won't be very long. He'll be 31 when he hits FA. Not a lot of incentive for him to delay free agency any longer.

I guess we'll see.

According to Fangraph's WAR calculations, JT is on pace for a 5+ WAR season after putting in two seasons where he was at 3.5 and 3.6 WAR.

He's OPSing about .900 this year, and OPS'd .771 and .783 the year before - which seems to be mostly because his ISO has jumped 60 points this season. His BABIP is sitting at about the midpoint of his last two seasons.

It could be natural progression, but I'm betting that he's overperforming right now. He's a good catcher, but he's probably not this good going forward. And 4 years is a long time. I would rather stock up on talent now than hope that in 4 years our aging catcher can sustain his performance for multiple years... and that's if we can even buy out a few free agency years.

I'm not saying he absolutely needs to be traded or that he's not a good catcher, but I don't think it makes sense to keep him given all of the uncertainty around his future performance and contract situation. I would rather deal with the uncertainty of 1 elite prospect + 1 other high quality prospect that we can keep for 6+ years. The Nationals need to just pull the trigger and recognize that this is their shot.

The uncertainty is in your head. If you're uncertain about his future performance, you should be uncertain about any player in baseball.

The uncertainty is on paper.

I get that we like him, but we can't be blind to the fact that there's a lot going against him being a cornerstone of a competitive Marlins team in 4 years.

Forget performance for a second. What incentive does an arbitration eligible catcher who will already be hitting free agency at 30 have to sign a deal that buys out multiple free agency years? Given that he'll get one good payday in his career, why would he want to delay until age 32-34, where he'll be at the tail end of his prime? If he thinks he's as good as you think he is, he definitely won't want to negotiate an extension.

The uncertainty is on paper.

I get that we like him, but we can't be blind to the fact that there's a lot going against him being a cornerstone of a competitive Marlins team in 4 years.

Forget performance for a second. What incentive does an arbitration eligible catcher who will already be hitting free agency at 30 have to sign a deal that buys out multiple free agency years? Given that he'll get one good payday in his career, why would he want to delay until age 32-34, where he'll be at the tail end of his prime? If he thinks he's as good as you think he is, he definitely won't want to negotiate an extension.

I disagree with your argument.  J T has been getting better every year and it seems to be his natural progression.  Also, an extension can be for as many years as JT and the Marlins negotiate.  They can extend him until he's 34 or 35 if they wish. 

Don't forget that JT didnt start catching until he was in pro ball.  He will probably age well since he will have less wear and tear than other catchers his age.  He's also very athletic for his position which also points to him aging well. He's not some lumbering fat guy back there. 

Yadier and Pose have aged well and there's no reason to think that J T won't do the same. At this point you only trade him if you can't extend him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.