Advice to the Marlins

SilverBullet

Why can't it be both though? Getting the right players and teaching them right takes time so why not work on the fan experience along the way? And the people who work on the fan experience aren't the one who work on the on field product so it's not like working on either should take away from the other. I hate the insinuation that working on the fan experience means they aren't working on improving the on field product.

• Like 1

Different people handle those tasks but the decision makers at the top can dedicate more resources to one instead of the other. I think the Marlins are doing both well, but in a general sense he's right about the concept. You aren't going to bring in many people because of fan experience. In the end, they are only coming in droves and on a regular basis, if the team is playing well.

I am a big proponent of letting kids in free. The money right now is in TV, but real fans are made by experiencing the game action in person. If you get them early, they will become fans for life. That is how you build a fan base. Plus if kids are coming, then you still make money off their parents and concessions. I don't really see the downside.

As far as fan experience goes, I would argue the Marlins have more work to do than they have to do in player ops. The parking is $20-30 per game, that is a terrible extra added expense for fans.

While I agree - if you're struggling with attendance, you do whatever you have to do to get people to the games (even if it means discounted or free parking), but if the fans are showing up, $20-30 is pretty reasonable.

We payed $50 at the Braves game last year to park.

Given that people spend money once at the park, I would discount all upper tier tickets, to like to $5. Better than empty seats.

Yes. Get them into the park. Same idea on the parking. Make it more affordable. Those people will probably eat and may even buy stuff at the team store. 

Plus you may make new fans that’ll become loyal later even at higher rates. 

Are those tickets even available for sale for all games ?

No reason they can't be if they aren't already. The only reason they don't sell them, is because they won't sell. But if you drop them to $5 they just may... assuming you also slash parking. I doubt many will grab a $5 ticket if it means paying $20-30 to park. Then get food. Still talking a lot of money for a family.

Yes. Get them into the park. Same idea on the parking. Make it more affordable. Those people will probably eat and may even buy stuff at the team store. 

Plus you may make new fans that’ll become loyal later even at higher rates. 

I'm certainly with you, though people will complain when they raise prices down the road back to "normal" levels.

Regarding the parking - I think the team is charged by the city per spot regardless of whether someone parks there or not - it may be like $10 per spot, so by charging $20/spot, they're trying to make up for that.  I think if parking were up to the team alone, they'd probably make it cheaper.

Given that people spend money once at the park, I would discount all upper tier tickets, to like to $5. Better than empty seats.

I like the idea, but I think (unless they've changed it this year), they basically have the upper deck closed for just about every game unless a big team (Yankees, Red Sox, etc) is in town.

No reason they can't be if they aren't already. The only reason they don't sell them, is because they won't sell. But if you drop them to $5 they just may... assuming you also slash parking. I doubt many will grab a $5 ticket if it means paying $20-30 to park. Then get food. Still talking a lot of money for a family.

I don’t have any strong opinions about this but it is interesting to see how teams make choices about this sort of thing.  The Rays have closed off their upper deck this season. People seem upset by it  I’m sure they have their reason but those reasons may not be fan friendly. 

Ive never had any trouble finding fairly priced lower bowl seats in marlins park in the secondary ticket market  which is probably why our upper deck is always empty. 

If the marlins had more demand for tickets they’d open the upper deck. It’s the only reason it isn’t available for all games.

Yeah, there's no sense in having the whole upper deck open for 100 people up there - that means cleaning crews, concession stands, attendants, etc.  Much easier to just put those people in the lower bowl.

I just wanted to say that per fangraphs, Martin Prado is on pace for a 7 WAR season. Clearly, we will be able to trade him in the middle of the season and he will become the third consecutive MVP that we traded when he wins it this year.

But how many MVPs get traded mid-season?

Ya'll know I'm NOT a fan of the current owners but throwing that tweet out there when you're an actual sports writer is dumb - especially at this point of the season.  Who exactly are they going to acquire at this juncture to make the team better?  Teaching guys to "play the right way" is as old and useless as most of the standard locker room questions asked - "So, do you think this comeback in the 9th might spark the team?"  - that sort of drivel.  The guys know how to play baseball - hit it where they ain't and hustle your ass up the line.  Whether they do it or not is up to that player and not up to a coach to teach.

All of that said - it does have to be both sides of the coin.  When you have a shitty team on the field it doesn't matter what food there is at the park or how cheap the concessions are overall - you can still get those same things cheaper elsewhere so why go if the on-field product is garbage.  This past offseason didn't really have any household names outside of the two big ones - that casual fans would recognize and appreciate as a good-faith effort to improve the team so we'll never know if Jeter and Sherman would have spent on some more mid-tier FA's, although I don't think they would have anyway at this point.  I wonder how long they'll actually give the current group a chance to prove who can stick and who needs to go before they actually start looking hard a pricier FA's.  They've kinda put themselves in a situation where even if they're more than a "couple pitchers away" they'll need to start acquiring some actual players just to bring some name recognition in there to help balance the progress they've made on the fan experience. 

They know they're likely going to have to lose some serious money to turn things around completely (barring some miraculous draft luck) and I still don't know if they're the type that's willing to do that but again, there's not much that can be done until after the current season is over so tweeting shit like that is useless for an actual writer getting paid to put effort into what they produce.