8/26 Post Game Thread

Michael

Just now, Erick said:

Umpire discretion after the 7th inning

I guess I'm more annoyed that they called it a challenge and they went immediately over to look at it after Rojas did the headphones gesture.

Should that not require Rojas to go out and start a discussion?

All in all, nice comeback, but it’d be nice if one of our young hitters started...well, hitting.

Lewin had a chance to have a nice moment in the top of the 8th but didn’t get it done. Sanchez hitting less than .100. Brinson stinks, Harrison can’t make contact.

The young pitching side of things has been better than the hitting that’s for sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Umpire discretion after the 7th inning

That's fishy too though because what defines their discretion? It's almost unfair because either challenge every call or none unless there's a clear case of replay being needed because nobody can decide on a ruling. But if a call was made just stick to it. 

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Lewin had a chance to have a nice moment in the top of the 8th but didn’t get it done. Sanchez hitting less than .100. Brinson stinks, Harrison can’t make contact.

I feel like this is a much, MUCH different experience if they had gotten at least two months of a minor league season this year.

Kind of hoping they're able to get that in 2021 ... 

• Like 1

This game should absolutely be protested for the second challenge.  I get the umpire's discretion thing.  But that was not this.  That was not their manager coming out, talking to him, pleading his case to please look at it again.  It was done immediately after the Mets did the challenge motion.  Absolutely absurd.  Not only did the guy block the bag, they were given a free second challenge when it shouldn't have been granted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

This game should absolutely be protested for the second challenge.  I get the umpire's discretion thing.  But that was not this.  That was not their manager coming out, talking to him, pleading his case to please look at it again.  It was done immediately after the Mets did the challenge motion.  Absolutely absurd.  Not only did the guy block the bag, they were given a free second challenge when it shouldn't have been granted.

Absolutely.

And there's no way any other umpire from 100+ feet away would have been able to say definitively, "oh yeah, man, I could tell, his foot blocked the bag."

Which ... is also interference cause he didn't have the ball yet, but whatever!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I feel like this is a much, MUCH different experience if they had gotten at least two months of a minor league season this year.

Kind of hoping they're able to get that in 2021 ... 

Don’t get me wrong, I do think Lewin and Sanchez will start hitting eventually, just hasn’t happened yet.

They do look different than Harrison though who looked lost.

• Like 2

Just now, Erick said:

Don’t get me wrong, I do think Lewin and Sanchez will start hitting eventually, just hasn’t happened yet.

They do look different than Harrison though who looked lost.

I'll agree with the entirety of this. Still think Monte would be a good bit better too, however, again with two more months of playing time before call-up.

Honestly all these guys should start next year in the Minors, if things are back to normal. Get some confidence going and call em up in mid-May.

And listen, if it were a bang-bang play at the time that was a "well maybe he was safe maybe he was out" play, and the Mets manager came out and pleaded pleaded, umpires got together and talked about it, still weren't sure, and THEN went to review and saw he was out, that's one thing.  I wouldn't like the outcome, but that's how it's supposed to work.  But when the guy clearly beat the throw and the guy blocks the plate to not allow him to touch the bag, and then they immediately go to review upon the manager motioning for a challenge from the dugout, that's ridiculous.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 5

If you stand in the base path and the runner runs into you it is interference. Even if it is completely unintentional it is interference. How can he block the bag and it not be ruled interference?

Honesty this is worse than the HBP bunt from last year. I might add that that was also against the Mets. Why does this bullshit always happen when we play the Mets?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DTrain said:

I’m not super annoyed because deGrom started and I was anticipating a loss but I think of our “fast” baserunners, only Villar gets called out on that play.  

No kidding.  Villar has worked my nerves lately.  Between some of the horrible swings, and watching third strikes, and then a handful of errors - it only figures that this happens to him.

I don't blame him in any way for this - but damn...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.