9/22 Post Game Thread

SirFishFan

Once again, another lopsided loss, I feel like we’ve had too many of these in the past week. 😂

Braves win the NL East, Marlins still in strong contention for the Wild Card.

In a way, while I would have been really happy to see the Marlins win the East, I’m a little bit glad that the division race is over, and now hopefully the Marlins will feel a little bit less pressure off their backs and can go out there and finish these final 5 games strong and lock in the Wild Card!

As we’ve learned from the past Marlins playoff runs, sometimes just getting your foot in the door of the playoffs is all that really matters at the end of the day..

So hopefully the Marlins finish these next few games strong!

Let’s go Marlins, let’s go!

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 4

It is what it is at this point. The team rode a wave of over-performance that put them here, but you’re seeing them regress toward the mean now. Obviously it’ll be good for their development to make it to the playoffs, but this team is not deep enough to thrive in the playoffs. Not against the REAL teams (notice we lost the season series to the Braves and Rays, teams that are clearly better than us).

If they don’t completely shit the bed and the Phillies continue to shit in it, then there’s a chance we get second place. Worst case there’s a pretty good chance that we get a wild card spot so they’ll make it in somehow. But half of me doesn’t know if it’s better to not make it this year than to get swept in the first round or lose a wild card game 🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

It is what it is at this point. The team rode a wave of over-performance that put them here, but you’re seeing them regress toward the mean now.

We are also seeing a team who hasn't had a day off in nearly a month. If we can win a couple more games, we'll be into the playoffs and we get at least *two* days off next week. Imagine this team with some rest!

I'm not too bothered by these last two losses. It's "just" two games against a better team and we threw out there our worst two starting pitchers at the moment. Some are calling this the end of the world for the Marlins and that they'll be swept in the playoffs if they even get in at this point because apparently they're playing so awful now. These two games are not good examples of what the Marlins are capable of doing and they do not represent the norm.

With that said, yes we need to dig our feet in and pick up some wins these final few days. The Phillies being a total disaster right now and our magic number being so low helps us tremendously but I also don't want to only rely on that.

26 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

this team is not deep enough to thrive in the playoffs. Not against the REAL teams (notice we lost the season series to the Braves and Rays, teams that are clearly better than us).

I've said all season long that the Marlins are not the best team this year and they are clearly below several better teams... but the way the Marlins are built and the way they continue to show resiliency means they do have "enough" to win in the playoffs, yes, even against better teams.

The Padres, Cubs, Dodgers, and even the great AL teams... they're all fabulous! But guess what... if Sixto Sandy or Pablo go out there and shut down their bats, the Marlins can win 2 of 3 or 3 of 5. The Marlins have shown this all season long and I don't think that changes in the playoffs. Let's not forget how many of these playoff teams haven't even seen the Marlins pitchers this season.

Yes things need to fall our way but I refuse to believe the Marlins can't make some serious noise in the playoffs. For all our faults I don't think we're some awful team that is just barely getting into the playoffs. We've played really well for essentially the entire season, we're not some lucky team that got hot in the final week to snag a spot over a team that collapsed. We've earned this spot through dynamic pitching, resiliency, and actual depth.

• Like 1

Nightengale seriously has something against us. Pretty sure we're not the only team that could possibly get in while under .500, even then that's a product of the expanded postseason not a knock on the Marlins, and so sick of the joke about our run differential... if you've watched any of those games they've all gone that way because Mattingly has basically conceded those games and gave up the score to save the bullpen. They were purposely uncompetitive games from a certain point. Why not talk about all the teams we have a better record than and all the games we've won against teams we weren't supposed to be able to even compete with? If you wanna make jokes about the Marlins overachieving make sure you point out how many teams are underachieving as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Nightengale seriously has something against us. Pretty sure we're not the only team that could possibly get in while under .500, even then that's a product of the expanded postseason not a knock on the Marlins, and so sick of the joke about our run differential... if you've watched any of those games they've all gone that way because Mattingly has basically conceded those games and gave up the score to save the bullpen. They were purposely uncompetitive games from a certain point. Why not talk about all the teams we have a better record than and all the games we've won against teams we weren't supposed to be able to even compete with? If you wanna make jokes about the Marlins overachieving make sure you point out how many teams are underachieving as well.

All while he completely ignores that these teams currently in playoff positions are in the same position or worse, and have I'm sure had off days in the last MONTH:

Houston: 28-27 (2nd in AL west)

Toronto: 28-27 (AL Wild Card #2)

Cincinnati: 28-28 (T NL Wild Card)

Milwaukee: 27-27 (T NL Wild Card)

San Francisco: 27-27 (MLB's standings show them not counting, so they must be behind in a tiebreaker with CIN/MIL)

Anyone have a twitter to send that back to him?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Now that I read it again maybe he meant the Marlins could be the first OF SEVERAL teams to make it under .500 and maybe that wouldn't be an insult as much as stating a fact and sorta complimenting us for being under 500 and still making it... but I doubt that's how he meant it.

Maybe.

But given the post history (scathing articles about breaching protocols based on a "source") and the way he wrote it, pointing out our record, talking about the bad games lately while ignoring the lack of off days and not directly pointing out there are several other teams in contention below us, it's clearly a shot at the Marlins.

If he just wanted to point out that we could see the first sub-500 team to make the playoffs, he could've literally just said that - "We could see the first sub.500 team to make the playoffs in 2020!"  without pointing out anyone's record (again, since there are 5 other teams right around us record wise that are also in contention or making the playoffs).

And listen - If we were the last team in a postseason position, and the only one of the entire playoff field at or below .500, I could understand pointing that out about a single team (whether it's ours or another), but with so many in the same position, it's a direct shot at the Marlins.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Maybe.

But given the post history (scathing articles about breaching protocols based on a "source") and the way he wrote it, pointing out our record, talking about the bad games lately while ignoring the lack of off days and not directly pointing out there are several other teams in contention below us, it's clearly a shot at the Marlins.

If he just wanted to point out that we could see the first sub-500 team to make the playoffs, he could've literally just said that - "We could see the first sub.500 team to make the playoffs in 2020!"  without pointing out anyone's record (again, since there are 5 other teams right around us record wise that are also in contention or making the playoffs).

And listen - If we were the last team in a postseason position, and the only one of the entire playoff field at or below .500, I could understand pointing that out about a single team (whether it's ours or another), but with so many in the same position, it's a direct shot at the Marlins.

That's true, we're currently in as one of the 2nd place teams, not as some scrub team barely slipping in on a fluke.

• Like 1

Anything can happen in the postseason if you have a one-two punch in Sixto and Sandy.  Even López would be favorable in the third spot compared to other playoff teams.  

If I had to go against our rotation from another fans view point, I wouldn't be to thrilled.   In a seven game series you would probably have to face Sixto twice. 

Thats another decision Mattingly will have to make, who will be the starting pitcher in the postseason. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

It is what it is at this point. The team rode a wave of over-performance that put them here, but you’re seeing them regress toward the mean now. Obviously it’ll be good for their development to make it to the playoffs, but this team is not deep enough to thrive in the playoffs. Not against the REAL teams (notice we lost the season series to the Braves and Rays, teams that are clearly better than us).

If they don’t completely shit the bed and the Phillies continue to shit in it, then there’s a chance we get second place. Worst case there’s a pretty good chance that we get a wild card spot so they’ll make it in somehow. But half of me doesn’t know if it’s better to not make it this year than to get swept in the first round or lose a wild card game 🤷🏻‍♂️

We have not lost the season series against the Braves. It is 3-5. Win the next 2 and you get a split.