4/20 Post Game Thread

I’m curious to see how the press will question him about the double switch and taking Jazz out early, during the post game interview. If anyone finds any good quotes or video clips, please post them on this thread!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Michael said:

Don, what the fuck were you thinking in the 4th inning?

That's really all I have to say.

I was getting my kids through bath time, so I was only halfway paying attention, but I went , shit, Jazz must be hurt now too.  There's no other reason he would've pulled him here, right?  Apparently I was wrong 🤦

I'm happy he's not hurt, but extremely discouraged by a decision like that.

And it looked like Alfaro was finally finding his swing before re-agrivating the hammy.  That sucks.

Edited by cyoung

Listening to the presser, a question was asked about Jazz and why he was pulled and did he have any words with him.  

Don said, “No.. It was what you had to do, or go back and take Andy out right in front of him knowing you’re down runs and you got to keep the pitcher far away as possible. I don’t want to take him (Jazz) out of the game but I don’t want to take Andy out either, so you gotta make a decision and Jazz was the last out.”

I’m still confused with this reasoning. Maybe someone else can better explain. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 1

Just need to stay in the mix for another month or so.  Imagine this roster down the stretch.

Alcantara, Lopez, Rogers, Sixto & Elieser with a reinforced bullpen Cabrera, Bender and possibly Meyer.  Mattingly couldn’t even mess that up. 

So looking back at the game log, my guess is that Mattingly wanted multiple innings from Campbell to preserve the pen no matter what. This wasn’t worth the risk because Berti was the last out anyways in the 4th inning, so you didn’t need to sub Jazz out after all.  In turn we lost Jazz, had Berti bat with no threat & 2 outs in the 4th, while our pitcher was the last batter to end the game.  

Am I understanding this correctly?

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

The double switch made zero sense. You just let Campbell take an AB if you want multiple innings out of him. You don't double switch the most exciting and one of the best hitters on the team out in the 4th inning. 

I wish a reporter would ask Don about this, did any?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

So looking back at the game log, my guess is that Mattingly wanted multiple innings from Campbell to preserve the pen no matter what. This wasn’t worth the risk because Berti was the last out anyways in the 4th inning, so you didn’t need to sub Jazz out after all.  In turn we lost Jazz, had Berti bat with no threat & 2 outs in the 4th, while our pitcher was the last batter to end the game.  

Am I understanding this correctly?

That's about the gist of it, yeah. Absolutely baffling decision. Just let Campbell take the PA. Relief pitchers HAVE batted before, it's not something new that Don was trying to avoid.

Final year of Don's contract. Decisions like this will cost him a further renewal.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's about the gist of it, yeah. Absolutely baffling decision. Just let Campbell take the PA. Relief pitchers HAVE batted before, it's not something new that Don was trying to avoid.

Final year of Don's contract. Decisions like this will cost him a further renewal.

Maybe it's because he's really an old school guy, if we had to change manager I wouldn't mind a young manager like Rocco Baldelli. 

56 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Bad in game strategy decisions and worse bullpen management are known Don Mattingly managerial deficiencies.  

Yes and of course the sorry ass Cardinals couldn’t beat the Nationals to help out the cause. Smh

• Haha 1
Just now, Erick said:

Yes and of course the sorry ass Cardinals couldn’t beat the Nationals to help out the cause. Smh

ya well our offense is offensive at times.  (most times)

11 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Listening to the presser, a question was asked about Jazz and why he was pulled and did he have any words with him.  

Don said, “No.. It was what you had to do, or go back and take Andy out right in front of him knowing you’re down runs and you got to keep the pitcher far away as possible. I don’t want to take him (Jazz) out of the game but I don’t want to take Andy out either, so you gotta make a decision and Jazz was the last out.”

I’m still confused with this reasoning. Maybe someone else can better explain. 

That the two options to be removed were Jazz or Anderson and he went with Jazz only because he was the last out even though he knew it was gonna be a bad move. It was dumb but Mattingly's explanation was pretty straightforward, he wanted to delay the pitcher's spot from coming up again as long as possible so that mean Jazz goes.

Really he just overthought the move and underestimated how close his team could make the game later. Probably didn't feel good about the offense at that point. If Mattingly thought it would be a one or two run game again you'd have to imagine he wouldn't have pulled Jazz.

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

If Mattingly thought it would be a one or two run game again you'd have to imagine he wouldn't have pulled Jazz.

That might be even worse. He was basically waving the white flag here with that idea.

It was an unnecessary move. If he wanted Campbell to go multiple innings, just let him bat. Berti struck out in the fourth anyways, Campbell could have done that and we'd have had Berti available to hit in the 9th, if needed.

Just a dumb managerial move all around.

• Like 1

Gonna throw this out there again, I can't stand that De Nicola doesn't post full game recap articles. The morning after I game I like reading the post game recaps and yet this one only posts an article about one specific thing from the game and neglects the entire game story. So frustrating.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Gonna throw this out there again, I can't stand that De Nicola doesn't post full game recap articles. The morning after I game I like reading the post game recaps and yet this one only posts an article about one specific thing from the game and neglects the entire game story. So frustrating.

I have to assume she is just doing what they asked her to do, and for whatever reason MLB doesn't want those