BA to IL, Devers and Holloway join team

Admin

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

This guy brings up a point, call ups on road trips have to come from the taxi squad, by not making the roster moves on Wednesday, or maybe late Tuesday, the Marlins could only bring up who from the taxi squad so Bleday not an option and Devers got it just because he was on the squad more than anything else.

They could've put Isan on the taxi squad though instead of Devers in the first place. Still says a lot about Isan to me.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

They could've put Isan on the taxi squad though instead of Devers in the first place. Still says a lot about Isan to me.

That's true too. 

My initial thought though is more so that Isan hasn't had a chance for game action yet. If this was mid June or something he would have to be the one to call up. Then again, this starts Devers' service clock so maybe Isan was the only right choice since he was already up anyways.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

If you aren't going to play him full then thats even stupider, especially if you actually consider him a real prospect. 

I guess we will find out their real thoughts on him going forward. 

He plays pretty much everyday = they value him pretty highly.

He plays sporadically = eh, not as valued as fans think.

We can’t value Devers over Rojas, Berti & Jazz so why do you feel like it must be full time or bust right now?  Hopefully he can step up and take Sierra’s spot on the roster and be our infield utility and have Berti play some CF when BA returns.  

3 minutes ago, FishFry said:

We can’t value Devers over Rojas, Berti & Jazz so why do you feel like it must be full time or bust right now?  Hopefully he can step up and take Sierra’s spot on the roster and be our infield utility and have Berti play some CF when BA returns.  

Because you dont call up a prospect that is highly valued and isnt eligible for the 40 man yet just to fill in a roster spot for a few days.

Thats stupid .  You protect your most valued prospects and want to see them play regularly.

If you call them up in April only to have them sit that says a lot about what the organization truly thinks of Devers tbh. 

Now if he is playing 4-5 times a week (even if he fails).....

3 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Because you dont call up a prospect that is highly valued and isnt eligible for the 40 man yet just to fill in a roster spot for a few days.

Thats stupid .  You protect your most valued prospects and want to see them play regularly.

If you call them up in April only to have them sit that says a lot about what the organization truly thinks of Devers tbh. 

Now if he is playing 4-5 times a week (even if he fails).....

Let’s see how it plays out.  The highly valued comparison you make is causing a struggle to what is realistically accurate though.  Devers ranks 8th in our farm which you said, besides Bleday is pretty much crap.  I think he’s getting a fair shake whatever happens.  

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

This guy brings up a point, call ups on road trips have to come from the taxi squad, by not making the roster moves on Wednesday, or maybe late Tuesday, the Marlins could only bring up who from the taxi squad so Bleday not an option and Devers got it just because he was on the squad more than anything else.

I find it very hard to believe that Anderson suddenly got so worse in 1 day that the team was caught unawares. As others have noted, this just says more about Devers/Diaz than it does about the team's foresight.

19 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I find it very hard to believe that Anderson suddenly got so worse in 1 day that the team was caught unawares. As others have noted, this just says more about Devers/Diaz than it does about the team's foresight.

It kinda sounds like they just screwed up and got caught with their pants down.

2 hours ago, FishFry said:

Let’s see how it plays out.  The highly valued comparison you make is causing a struggle to what is realistically accurate though.  Devers ranks 8th in our farm which you said, besides Bleday is pretty much crap.  I think he’s getting a fair shake whatever happens.  

I actually said the infield depth is crap in the system actually.

18 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I actually said the infield depth is crap in the system actually.

True.  

Im not saying that Devers isn’t a top prospect either.  But he’s not going to get a lot of playing time because of Berti.  It’s not a all in or nothing scenario, it’s a depth move.  Hopefully he forces himself into a daily role but it won’t be easy because that’s not Mattingly’s style. Look how long it took Dickerson to not lead-off. 

4 hours ago, FishFry said:

True.  

Im not saying that Devers isn’t a top prospect either.  But he’s not going to get a lot of playing time because of Berti.  It’s not a all in or nothing scenario, it’s a depth move.  Hopefully he forces himself into a daily role but it won’t be easy because that’s not Mattingly’s style. Look how long it took Dickerson to not lead-off. 

You mean Jon Berti of the sub .200 batting average.

Sounds about right. 

43 minutes ago, FishFry said:

The Cardinals would love to have Berti on their team.  

Do you remember when Joe McEwing played on the Cardinals? He was similar to Berti, but not as fast, and he could play catcher. Something that would be great if Berti was able to.

Edited by SirFishFan
He never played catcher, although I pretty sure he could if needed.

6 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Do you remember when Joe McEwing played on the Cardinals? He was similar to Berti, but not as fast, and he could play catcher. Something that would be great if Berti was able to.

No I’m not familiar.  I’ll look him up though thx.  Berti reminds me of Cardinal type player. Gritty, blue collar, overachiever & loves the game. Not sure why Das would knock him. 

Edited by FishFry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FishFry said:

No I’m not familiar.  I’ll look him up though thx.  Berti reminds me of Cardinal type player. Gritty, blue collar, overachiever & loves the game. Not sure why Das would knock him. 

He played on the Cardinals during those late 90’s McGwire years. He was definitely a fan favorite. A super utility player who could play every position pretty much. He wasn’t a great hitter, but for some reason, he always would get a bunch of hits off of Randy Johnson. 😂 He was nicknamed “Little Mac” since of course McGwire was “Big Mac.”

But yes, I agree, Berti would probably be  a fan favorite in St. Louis, I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

He played on the Cardinals during those late 90’s McGwire years. He was definitely a fan favorite. A super utility player who could play every position pretty much. He wasn’t a great hitter, but for some reason, he always would get a bunch of hits off of Randy Johnson. 😂 He was nicknamed “Little Mac” since of course McGwire was “Big Mac.”

But yes, I agree, Berti would probably be  a fan favorite in St. Louis, I think.

I looked him up. Also know as “Super Joe”.  Like how he got that name Little Mac. 👍 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

I wouldnt want a roster full of Joe's on my team though.  And I wouldnt have wanted Joe playing everyday either, like some around here are clamoring for Berti to do. 

9 hours ago, FishFry said:

I'm not knocking him. Just saying you donr really want him playing every day for an extended period of time!