5/27 Post Game Thread

This team needs a little bit of a shakeup... not the we're in last place, ten games below 500 and on a losing streak shakeup... but the we're treading water and should be capable of better shakeup. Too much "one step forward, two steps backwards" crap here lately. We need to be better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This team is fun and is probably better than their record shows but they are wasting so many winnable games and they'll end up costing us. These close games need to be locked down more often than they are.

We're rebuilding. Please be patient.

-Jerek Deter

• Like 1
  • Banana 1

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This team needs a little bit of a shakeup... not the we're in last place, ten games below 500 and on a losing streak shakeup... but the we're treading water and should be capable of better shakeup. Too much "one step forward, two steps backwards" crap here lately. We need to be better.

The offense needs a boost... too many 1 run losses...they had chances to score runs but other than cooper, no one else gets that big hit

1 minute ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Very often, this team seems to get close to .500 and then goes the wrong way 

Yep. I've said it a few times already this year. They just seemingly get right to the cusp or at .500 then lose 3 of 4 or something. Happens almost every season. Then they do it again and then lose again until finally they drop 8 or 10 and stay below for good. Really keep waiting for that breakout streak.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hovertical said:

We're rebuilding. Please be patient.

-Jerek Deter

Also, I say this tongue-in-cheek but sometimes it does feel like they're confusing rebuilding with putting the best possible product on the field based on who they do have available already.  At least be engaged and try to better the team as opposed to just saying screw it we're just gonna keep trotting the same guys out no matter what.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Also, I say this tongue-in-cheek but sometimes it does feel like they're confusing rebuilding with putting the best possible product on the field based on who they do have available already.  At least be engaged and try to better the team as opposed to just saying screw it we're just gonna keep trotting the same guys out no matter what.

I really have no idea if the FO is waiting for next season or if they are serious about making a run this year

2 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Just another horrifically managed game by the 2020 NL Manager of the Year. You cannot run out of players this often. A catcher played left field today.

He can only use what he's got, I fault the front office for the current roster construction. Don doesn't make the roster moves. For example, if Jazz is unavailable, he needs to be on the IL.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

I really have no idea if the FO is waiting for next season or if they are serious about making a run this year

I really think they're still looking at this season like another year in the whole rebuild process and if they somehow get to the playoffs then great, if not, then that's to be expected.  After what we saw last season - and this season. That's a very shit way to treat us as fans and also treat the players on that team.  Thanks to their good work with trades, astute signings, etc. they have managed to find a decent mix of talent that CAN compete but you have to friggin' still make moves!  Was it Jeter himself that said last year was unexpected and "early"?  SO WHAT?!  Clearly this team is close to competing in our division. So what if your precious timeline was thrown a little askew?!  Fans and players both deserve better than this bizarre silent treatment and lack of any sort of movement from the FO, even when it comes to our own depth on the farm.  It's just insane/unacceptable to see pitchers being the bench bats, Alfaro playing out in left, bullpen games twice and sometimes three times a week. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

He can only use what he's got, I fault the front office for the current roster construction. Don doesn't make the roster moves. For example, if Jazz is unavailable, he needs to be on the IL.

sure, but he didn't have to burn Aguilar so early and then make a defensive switch afterwards. If Sierra is so bad that you're going to pinch hit for him that early in the game, what the hell is he doing in one of the most important spots in the lineup? If Corey Dickerson isn't worth having up to bat in a big spot late in the game, why is he consistently batting in the middle of the order? If Garrett Cooper was healthy enough to hit and field, why didn't he start the game? If you know your lineup is going to struggle to score runs because some of the top bats are injured, why give your best hitter a day off on the day of the worst lineup, offensively? Managing with a short bench, you can't burn two players that early in the game. I get that you can't manage a game expecting a guy like Rojas to get hurt, but you have to be able to plan ahead too. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah the moves -both ones that have and haven’t been made - haven’t made any sense for a team legitimately trying to compete.   Leaving an obviously offensively struggling team without offensive help for weeks makes no sense.  If Sanchez comes up and struggles and you need to send him back down, that’s one thing.  But you have him raking for weeks down there why not bring him up?  I get the service time implications. But the team needs help now and is in the thick of things division wise.

I also thought we needed to get a vet starter in the offseason, if nothing else because we were going from a 60 game season to a 162 game season with young guys.   Obviously there’s injury potential....as someone pointed out, having a bullpen game 2-3 times a week gets old and kills the bullpen too.

I also realize it’s a reaction based off a loss, but too many of these games have been winnable if we just had that extra offensive guy or an extra pitcher.

45 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

sure, but he didn't have to burn Aguilar so early and then make a defensive switch afterwards. If Sierra is so bad that you're going to pinch hit for him that early in the game, what the hell is he doing in one of the most important spots in the lineup? If Corey Dickerson isn't worth having up to bat in a big spot late in the game, why is he consistently batting in the middle of the order? If Garrett Cooper was healthy enough to hit and field, why didn't he start the game? If you know your lineup is going to struggle to score runs because some of the top bats are injured, why give your best hitter a day off on the day of the worst lineup, offensively? Managing with a short bench, you can't burn two players that early in the game. I get that you can't manage a game expecting a guy like Rojas to get hurt, but you have to be able to plan ahead too. 

Fair points. I can't really argue any of this.