The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

7 hours ago, ruafraidofme said:

I am just waiting for the Marlins and Don to part on good terms. With the Yankees collapse so far this year, any possibility of Boone getting fired and Don going there to manage next year?

This is what I think will happen. Also, I believe Mel's deal expires as well at the end of this year so I would not be surprised one bit if he joins Don in the Bronx. 

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

This is what I think will happen. Also, I believe Mel's deal expires as well at the end of this year so I would not be surprised one bit if he joins Don in the Bronx. 

I've heard Mel is here through 2023 but I'm not sure.

I also think he's closely connected to Don and would consider following him if Don got a job elsewhere and needed a pitching coach. But the chances of Donnie finding a managerial job for 2023 are actually low so I'm thinking we have Mel at least another season more.

Mel also seems like the type who would love to see this Marlins project succeed so I don't see him bailing on the Marlins unless he has a clearly better opening elsewhere. It's funny how this team is such an undesirable place right now but if anyone has it nice here it's Mel. 

I don't see the Yankees hiring Donnie as a manager at this point. They don't just hire on Yankee connections anymore especially with Donnie having so many losing seasons to this point. I could see him going to the Yankee organization in some other capacity but they won't see Donnie as someone who can come in and make the Yankees a championship team immediately and that's what they'll want. I think people in NY would actually be disappointed to see Donnie manage the Yankees now. 

Oh man, if the Yankees hire Mattingly it's going to be such a mess. He gets away with all of his awful moves because no one watches the Marlins closely enough to notice. But all the shit Tony LaRussa got this season? Mattingly is going to get that 10x as bad if he's pinch hitting for Judge in the 4th inning because a righty came in, or using a backup catcher as DH, or bringing in a lefty to face a lefty hitter who hits .620 against lefties, or shifting a guy who pulls the ball 11% of the time to the extreme pull side, or [a million other examples]

Edited by SongInTheAir

43 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Oh man, if the Yankees hire Mattingly it's going to be such a mess. He gets away with all of his awful moves because no one watches the Marlins closely enough to notice. But all the shit Tony LaRussa got this season? Mattingly is going to get that 10x ad bad if he's pinch hitting for Judge in the 4th inning because a righty came in, or using a backup catcher as DH, or bringing in a lefty to face a lefty hitter who hits .620 against lefties, or shifting a guy who pulls the ball 11% of the time to the extreme pull side, or [a million other examples]

Ok you've convinced me, now I want this to happen.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, SongInTheAir said:

Oh man, if the Yankees hire Mattingly it's going to be such a mess. He gets away with all of his awful moves because no one watches the Marlins closely enough to notice. But all the shit Tony LaRussa got this season? Mattingly is going to get that 10x as bad if he's pinch hitting for Judge in the 4th inning because a righty came in, or using a backup catcher as DH, or bringing in a lefty to face a lefty hitter who hits .620 against lefties, or shifting a guy who pulls the ball 11% of the time to the extreme pull side, or [a million other examples]

No we don't want this.  Because then they'll fire him and Kim will re-hire him.