Marte Extension? (The Continuation)

Michael

22 hours ago, Das Texan said:

too bad marlins are at 3/30 which is 15-20 million less than what Marte wants.

Good luck.

Too bad the Cardinals can’t trade for him because they suck.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I'm sure lol

Usually I stock up my farm system with guys who are 18, 19, 20 years old deep down in the free agency list with A or B potential and two years later the team is stacked three levels deep. It's silly.

15 hours ago, Michael said:

The difference between 3/30 and 4/50 isn't as much as you're making it out to be. 12.5m per year. They're at 10. That gap can definitely close quickly.

ummm

the post i'm talking about you are at 3/50 or 4/80 with various incentives, escalators, et al.  

3/30 opening offer is far less insulting if 4/50 is what the player actually wants, though its a bit short sighted and dumb by his representation, but whatever thats on them.  I imagine in their eyes that 4th year is far less valuable AAV wise, and they want to maximize his income and have him with a MLB contract for 4 years ideally.  

50 million dollar range is always curious by what they mean by that.  I'd assume mid 50s?  

AAV 15 first 3 yeras

10 last year.  

32 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

ummm

the post i'm talking about you are at 3/50 or 4/80 with various incentives, escalators, et al.  

3/30 opening offer is far less insulting if 4/50 is what the player actually wants, though its a bit short sighted and dumb by his representation, but whatever thats on them.  I imagine in their eyes that 4th year is far less valuable AAV wise, and they want to maximize his income and have him with a MLB contract for 4 years ideally.  

50 million dollar range is always curious by what they mean by that.  I'd assume mid 50s?  

AAV 15 first 3 yeras

10 last year.  

Yes, they're asking 4/50 and the team offered 3/30. So they're ... close. Negotiations! Yay!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Yes, they're asking 4/50 and the team offered 3/30. So they're ... close. Negotiations! Yay!

4/50 eh?  he should be signed already then.

edit: asking 4/50 also seems like he's legitimately offering a discount to the Marlins to stay here

Edited by hovertical
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael said:

I wouldnt really say its 'close'.  

I mean 3 is close to 4?  and 30 is close to 50?  so sure?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I wouldnt really say its 'close'.  

I mean 3 is close to 4?  and 30 is close to 50?  so sure?

Yes.  And yes.  This has been pointed out already.

*In Dora the explorer voice*

DO YOU KNOW WHAT 4-3 IS?     YES IT'S 1!  YAY

DO YOU KNOW WHAT 50-30 IS?     YES IT'S 20!  YAY

DO YOU KNOW WHAT 12.5-10 (AAV) IS?  YES IT'S 2.5!  YAY

They're 1 year and/or 2.5M/year apart - it's really not this insurmountable Mt Everest/grand canyon you're making it out to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yes.  And yes.  This has been pointed out already.

*In Dora the explorer voice*

DO YOU KNOW WHAT 4-3 IS?     YES IT'S 1!  YAY

DO YOU KNOW WHAT 50-30 IS?     YES IT'S 20!  YAY

DO YOU KNOW WHAT 12.5-10 (AAV) IS?  YES IT'S 2.5!  YAY

They're 1 year and/or 2.5M/year apart - it's really not this insurmountable Mt Everest/grand canyon you're making it out to be.

It's what I've said to him but perhaps we did need the Dora breakdown so well done!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

If this team didn't give him 4/50 immediate then I go away immediately. 

Lmao. He'll be 33 years old in October and has a lifetime .793 OPS. I would hardly blame the Marlins for not wanting to go four years on him.

The idea that Marte is this guy that we absolutely cannot lose is funny to me. He's not Miguel Cabrera. Yeah I want to keep him, but only at a reasonable cost.

Like, if you didn't walk away when the Marlins traded Stanton and Yelich but will walk away if they let Starling Marte go? Then that's really, really silly.

Edited by Valid
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Valid said:

Lmao. He'll be 33 years old in October and has a lifetime .793 OPS. I would hardly blame the Marlins for not wanting to go four years on him.

The idea that Marte is this guy that we absolutely cannot lose is funny to me. He's not Miguel Cabrera. Yeah I want to keep him, but only at a reasonable cost.

Like, if you didn't walk away when the Marlins traded Stanton and Yelich but will walk away if they let Starling Marte go? Then that's really, really silly.

I think rather than necessarily Marte himself - though I do think he's a key cog on the offense (plus who else would we be signing?) - it'd be an indication that they are willing to spend money and to extend players.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think rather than necessarily Marte himself - though I do think he's a key cog on the offense (plus who else would we be signing?) - it'd be an indication that they are willing to spend money and to extend players.

In 3-4 yrs from now he isn’t going to be a key cog on offense and other players will emerge and fall into place making him a role player.   3 years is fine but 2 would be perfect. 

Hey, good news.

The way Starling has been hitting lately, he might have to accept 3/30. He’s been pretty bad lately. That’s actually good for us long-term since maybe we can get him at market value now instead of overpaying lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FishFry said:

In 3-4 yrs from now he isn’t going to be a key cog on offense and other players will emerge and fall into place making him a role player.   3 years is fine but 2 would be perfect. 

I'd go 3.  But we're likely to get 0.