The Checking Out Thread

Checking Out  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Checked Out Yet This Year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Giving It Another Month
    • Waiting Until All-Star Break / Deadline
    • Watching for Jazz and Sandy and other youngsters and that's it

I will always want them to win. Every loss pisses me off no matter how awful they are. I'm never fully checked out but I've felt this way since last season when they effed up by not bringing JT back coming off a playoff series win and it was more of the same thing this year. I don't know how to describe what I am since I do care but at the same time I just don't watch anymore. I'm so disgusted by Ng and Sherman. I don't recall every feeling this legit ANGRY at Loria even. 

Shrug.

• Like 1

I'll keep up with scores and news but besides that I've checked out already. The lack of urgency kills me. If they don't seem to give a shit then why should I is my mindset now.

They suck right now. End of story, it's as simple as that. I've stressed over this team for decades already, it's a stupid cycle, probably best to back away some. 

Granted I have to say that not having Bally's makes this way easier because I have to go out of my way to watch a game now so when I'm checked out skipping a game is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

But I've got way too much real life going on and countless other entertainment options as well so not watching a frustrating disaster of a team is an easy choice right now. 

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Jeter tried to warn us

He was part of the problem too for sure - apparently not nearly as much as ol cheapskate Bruce is.  Ng has nothing to do with the payroll side of things obviously but she pretty much sucks all-around as a GM and after 2 shitty offseasons and 1 1/4 of another season of just not making corresponding roster moves for parts we DO have - that's evident she is a truly awful GM.  The fact that she's shown how overmatched and bad she is at her job in this short of time should tell us all we need to know about her as a GM.

But I guarantee she'll be our GM for at least another 2 years, probably 3 at minimum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Jeter tried to warn us

It's Jeters fault regardless.  If he didn't get involved with Sherman, Jorge Mas would own this team right now. 

Also, I'm not buying that he left because of one contract dispute for Castellanos.  He was desperate to be an "owner".  I'm not sure Castellanos was the hill that Jeter was ready to die on.  I'm going to assume this had to do with ownership shares and or power/control. Jeter is no Saint is all that I'm saying.  

#FuckJeter

#FuckSherman

#FuckNg

#FuckThemAll

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'll keep up with scores and news but besides that I've checked out already. The lack of urgency kills me. If they don't seem to give a shit then why should I is my mindset now.

They suck right now. End of story, it's as simple as that. I've stressed over this team for decades already, it's a stupid cycle, probably best to back away some. 

Granted I have to say that not having Bally's makes this way easier because I have to go out of my way to watch a game now so when I'm checked out skipping a game is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

But I've got way too much real life going on and countless other entertainment options as well so not watching a frustrating disaster of a team is an easy choice right now. 

I put “yes” above, but this sums up how I feel.  I still get score notifications, and if I have nothing else going on and or want some background noise and a game is on, I may tune in.  But I’m not going out of my way to watch a game anymore.

as you said:

THEY DON’T CARE, WHY SHOULD I?

(starts chant)

15 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Maybe Ng is watching tennis now, her favorite sport, Marlins is too good to worry about. 

Pathetic that there are no hot seats yet and that they continue to think that the status quo is going to miraculously change after 162+42 games ( last year plus this year), clinging onto the “it’s baseball, anything can happen” mentality to have a HOPE of being in it rather than just doing what needs to be done to ensure you’re in it.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I would 

As would I.

just need to stop being given “bare bones” owners that barely meet the qualifications, don’t understand what’s happened to the fan base here (fire sale history), and by extension also won’t invest in the product before fans show up (as opposed to the apparent wait til fans show up to spend).

Edited by rmc523

The last few years have made it easy for me to pay more attention to Lightning hockey, which I wouldn't have normally done.  I watched a little of last nights game in Tampa and realized this was only the 2nd time I hadn't gone to watch them when they were so close to me.  That said I'll give them to the all-star break 

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

'Whats a check?'

- Anyone born after 2000

I finally just finished using a checkbook I've had since 2007ish.  I find the only time I use checks nowadays is when I'm dealing with a contractor at the house. I prefer writing a check over using cash as it's a little bit easier to prove that the work has been paid for if they try and run some scam.  I used to put stuff on a rewards based credit card and just pay it off but so many contractors will upcharge 3% now for using a credit card so I've moved back to writing checks.  I've yet to find a contractor who accepts one of the digital payment options like Venmo, PayPal, etc. so that's pretty much the only time I've written checks.