Spring training thread

pollythewog

In 2019 spring training, Soler had two games where he went 0-2 with 2 strikeouts and 0-3 with 2 strikeouts. He then went on to have the best season of his career.

Do I think he'll have the best season or close to it in 2023? Hell no.  Do I think his 0-3 day yesterday with 3 K means anything? Hell no.

29 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This is an improvement for us as we normally trade away first ballot Hall of Famers.

I think miggy will actually have a good season there as he'll have good lineup protection and see some pitches to hit. His defense is always solid so I won't be surprised at all to see him put in a good season in LA and he also won't be looked upon to be the clubhouse leader. Had he been more willing to accept change here he might still be on the team. Always possible he might still have been jettisoned but for sure a much higher chance he'd still be here.

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

I think miggy will actually have a good season there as he'll have good lineup protection and see some pitches to hit. His defense is always solid so I won't be surprised at all to see him put in a good season in LA and he also won't be looked upon to be the clubhouse leader. Had he been more willing to accept change here he might still be on the team. Always possible he might still have been jettisoned but for sure a much higher chance he'd still be here.

Thing is, he's never actually been a good hitter. Could he have a good season, defensively? Sure. But he's never proven that he can be anything more than a slightly below average hitter. 

I say this a lot but I'll say it again. I'm very glad this guy's gone. He's never been good and should have never been a team captain. The team captain should be one of the best players on the team. Leading from behind is never effective.

Edited by Entendu

26 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Thing is, he's never actually been a good hitter. Could he have a good season, defensively? Sure. But he's never proven that he can be anything more than a slightly below average hitter. 

I say this a lot but I'll say it again. I'm very glad this guy's gone. He's never been good and should have never been a team captain. The team captain should be one of the best players on the team. Leading from behind is never effective.

When I say good season I'm speaking of hitting around .280 with obp of .335-.340ish (mostly singles) and playing the usual plus defense. Basically, he won't be a "problem" for LA. Just a solid season of overall work. Not saying all-star level or anything but not awful or even bad. I didn't have any issue with him being the captain for a bit there either - he came here and busted his ass to get better with the bat and he was a very serviceable player for awhile with a great work ethic. Captains are not always the most productive member of a team - they're usually vets who again, have fantastic work ethic and will speak up when something needs to be said. 

It seems like Miguel fit that role for several seasons. His problem was he seemed to be unwilling to pass the torch or adjust to taking a lesser role or maybe Jazz really is a prick irl (we don't know). 

Anyway, I liked Miguel and respected the hell out of how he built himself into a useful super utility guy. The Marlins just (as usual) expected FAR too much out of his bat and miscast him as a top half hitter.