Spring training thread

pollythewog

On 2/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, SonOfJack said:

Bill Robinson doesn't appreciate the lack of respect. RIP Mr. Robinson.

And here's to you, Mr. Robinson
Jesus loves you more than you will know
Whoa, whoa, whoa
God bless you, please, Mr. Robinson
Heaven holds a place for those who pray
Hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Rule changes question, apparently for the shift restrictions, a player can't change position even after a pitch is released. If a pop up to a shallow part of the outfield happens, can an infielder run back onto the outfield grass to catch it?

I would think once a ball is in play, any player can move wherever necessary to catch the ball.  If there was a regulation on that, that'd be just stupid.

I think the rules are to just keep teams from plopping the extra infielder in shallow right field like we always saw.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I would think once a ball is in play, any player can move wherever necessary to catch the ball.  If there was a regulation on that, that'd be just stupid.

I think the rules are to just keep teams from plopping the extra infielder in shallow right field like we always saw.

That's what I thought, but I read today that, for example, the 2B and SS must be on opposite sides of the second base bag and they must stay there... and that when the pitch is released, the SS can't run over to the 2B side of the base. So wouldn't that mean they can't go over to that side even to catch that ball? It said they can't pass their restricted spaces even after a pitch is released. I'm probably over thinking it but that jumped out to me. 

I guess it's probably an umpire judgment thing as to whether or not the fielder had to leave their space to get the ball or simply to leave their space but then I think that gets fishy because literally every first movement would be an attempt to get to the ball, so a fielder could say he had to cross the space. It's gonna be one of those calls like whether or not a catcher had to get in a runners path at home plate. 

52 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Ehh, after a pitch is released and after a ball is put in play can be considered very different instances. They probably mean you can't cross your space after a pitch is released but once it's hit you can then move wherever needed. 

Yes, this. Can't move over until ball is in play.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That's what I thought, but I read today that, for example, the 2B and SS must be on opposite sides of the second base bag and they must stay there... and that when the pitch is released, the SS can't run over to the 2B side of the base. So wouldn't that mean they can't go over to that side even to catch that ball? It said they can't pass their restricted spaces even after a pitch is released. I'm probably over thinking it but that jumped out to me. 

I guess it's probably an umpire judgment thing as to whether or not the fielder had to leave their space to get the ball or simply to leave their space but then I think that gets fishy because literally every first movement would be an attempt to get to the ball, so a fielder could say he had to cross the space. It's gonna be one of those calls like whether or not a catcher had to get in a runners path at home plate. 

Yeah, I think they're specifically meaning while the ball is headed toward the batter from the pitcher.  After the hitter makes contact, you play as normal.  It's a way to prevent teams from getting around the no extreme shift rule by having their guy run over to that old extreme shift spot mid-pitch.

11 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Did y'all see that scathing analysis of the Marlins by Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic?

At this point I’m not even bothered by the opinion in and of itself. What annoys the shit out of me is that these reporters write about it like it isn’t the most obvious and tired storyline in MLB. It’s like someone thinking they need to write an article in 2023 about how McDonald’s is unhealthy….we fucking know….move on and do some real reporting and leave the low hanging fruit to the high school journalism kids.

38 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Did y'all see that scathing analysis of the Marlins by Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic?

I'll have to go look at it, but yeah, it's the same article every year.

How we suck and didn't get anything out of the Yelich trade and we'll still be hot garbage, fighting for 4th place in the east.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'll have to go look at it, but yeah, it's the same article every year.

How we suck and didn't get anything out of the Yelich trade and we'll still be hot garbage, fighting for 4th place in the east.

Most of the negative ones I've seen this year are centered around their likely shitty defense this upcoming season.

Just read the article, and yeah as expected, it hit the main points everyone already knows about:

-bad drafting (at least on the bat side)

-bad trades (Yelich, etc)

-bad development of players (Bleday)

-bad signings (Soler & Garcia)

-questionable defense this year with 8 2Bs on the roster lol.