Spring training thread

pollythewog

Just now, hovertical said:

what if he has a turrible spring?

He's not making the Opening Day roster regardless because of two reasons, #1: service time manipulation, and #2: because we don't "need" him yet considering we already have 6 starting pitchers ready to go. So I don't think his spring numbers matter. If he struggles in the minors to start the year then yea hold him down longer but I think he's already on that cusp of being ready for a callup so any struggles this spring or in the minors are probably just gonna hold him down no more than a few weeks longer.

My point is, it's not like he won't be up in 2023 so I don't see how they can delay it too much.

48 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Eury has to come up immedietaly after that super 2 deadline right? There's literally no reason to keep him down any longer.

I think the Super 2 isn't a fixed date anymore, I could be wrong.

But yeah they should just bring him up in the summer if he's doing fine in Jacksonville.

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

He's not making the Opening Day roster regardless because of two reasons, #1: service time manipulation, and #2: because we don't "need" him yet considering we already have 6 starting pitchers ready to go. So I don't think his spring numbers matter. If he struggles in the minors to start the year then yea hold him down longer but I think he's already on that cusp of being ready for a callup so any struggles this spring or in the minors are probably just gonna hold him down no more than a few weeks longer.

My point is, it's not like he won't be up in 2023 so I don't see how they can delay it too much.

so, assuming no injuries to our current rotation, who is odd man out if he gets called up?

38 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think the Super 2 isn't a fixed date anymore, I could be wrong.

I don't think it ever was a fixed date. I always remember it as a calculation leading to a possible date and then teams just make sure they do their callups after that date and then after that it's fingers crossed that the guess was right.

24 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't think it ever was a fixed date. I always remember it as a calculation leading to a possible date and then teams just make sure they do their callups after that date and then after that it's fingers crossed that the guess was right.

I thought it was always set, like once teams reached a certain games threshold. That's why Stanton and Strasburg debuted on the same day.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

I thought it was always set, like once teams reached a certain games threshold. That's why Stanton and Strasburg debuted on the same day.

I know there are ways that certain players can still be considered Super 2's even if they debut past that threshold, so I think there's like a less defined threshold that kinda just hopes its past the date. Something like that?

The popular misconception surrounding Super Two is that there's a hard-and-fast "deadline date" after which players can be called up. In reality, this is a moving target

Each year at the end of the season, the Major League Baseball Players’ Union announces the cutoff for players to achieve Super Two status

This cutoff changes based on the number of players in the class and how much service time each has. According to Ryan Galla of sports agency CAA, the cutoff for next offseason is projected to be two years and 140 days, though that could change. Remember, we're talking about a percentage of players here, so the exact service-time cutoff isn't a constant, and that's why it's tough to pick a specific date when a player must be called up by to meet Super Two standards. We often don't know until players are in their third season.

The date is set after the season ends, so it's a guess during the season.

56 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I think that is a great idea.... right? Sandy every 5th day an then keep innings down on the other young guys.

I hate it.  You know you're going to have injuries at some point.   Hopefully nothing major, but injuries none the less.  Keep someone in AAA ready to go until such injury or lack of performance arrive and then call them up.  There's no need to take starts away from Alcantara, Lucero, Roger's ( assuming he's pitching well), or Cueto.   Cabrera might need a breather now and then to build up his innings. I hate how they coddle pitchers in today's game! 

Yes. I'm an old man!!! Stay off of my lawn!!!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

I hate it.  You know you're going to have injuries at some point.   Hopefully nothing major, but injuries none the less.  Keep someone in AAA ready to go until such injury or lack of performance arrive and then call them up.  There's no need to take starts away from Alcantara, Lucero, Roger's ( assuming he's pitching well), or Cueto.   Cabrera might need a breather now and then to build up his innings. I hate how they coddle pitchers in today's game! 

Yes. I'm an old man!!! Stay off of my lawn!!!

Again, for the thought I posted, Sandy doesn't get skipped, ever. Luzardo, maybe some skips here and there but not full-time, should be every fifth game until All-Star Break at least. Rogers, TBD.