Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who should be fired?

Featured Replies

Hahahaha. I was actually going to make a thread or post a couple of hours ago on this same topic.

 

What I was thinking is that we might see Skip fired before the end of May. And an interim manager put in. Although I don’t think it would be Kapler right now.. that would probably look too obvious. So probably an interim manager maybe their bench coach or someone from the farm system. And then in the offseason maybe Kapler “interviews” for the job.

 

I don’t see Bendix getting fired mid season.. I think there’s a better chance of an interim manager being brought in and then maybe some corresponding player moves bring in some better players for the rest of the season and the Marlins finish around 60 wins and next year a new manager is brought in.. and it might not even be Kapler. Probably someone who used to be the AA manager in the Rays organization. 😂

Can you fire the ownership? I'm not ready to blame Skip for this shit show just yet, but even if they fire someone will it make a difference? 

5 hours ago, pollythewog said:

Skip? Bendix? Hitting coach?

The record is what it is.  They obviously didn't plan on the team being THIS bad even though they sat on their hands in the off season. 

What burns me is the way they go about doing the same fucking thing and preaching patience.  Fucking do something!  Anything!  At least show us you fucking care.

Rivera keeps getting regular ABs even though he hasn't done shit.  Otto has done more in way less time.  How about we give him a few games?  Gray is tearing the cover off of the ball in AAA.  He might be shit in the Show but for God's sake, let's at least find out.  Bell is who he has always been outside of a hot couple of months last season. He didn't all of a sudden become good.

Conine deserves a shot also.  I'm tired of Sanchez bone headed play and I've been a Sanchez believer.   Let's move on. Also, don't start this platoon BS with Dane. Let  him get regular ABs. 

Let's at least call up some young guys and TRY anything. Give us something to want to watch.  This season is already fucked. Use it to develop guys. 

3 hours ago, fanofthefish said:

Can you fire the ownership? I'm not ready to blame Skip for this shit show just yet, but even if they fire someone will it make a difference? 

Sorry, but Skip doesn't have the same fire as last season.  He probably should have walked when he saw the direction Bendix was headed. I get that there's a pay check involved and he probably didn't have time to look for a new gig . That's probably why he asked to void next year's option. 

I can't stand Kapler, but if he's going to be the guy next year, just put him in already. At least he will be invested in developing the roster going forward. Skip is just a dead man walking.  And, for the record. I think Skup is a good guy. This shit show is not his fault.  The situation just is what it is for him, unfortunately. 

I like Skip but if he's the one who allowed Jesus Sanchez to get away with completely being out of focus TWICE, I won't be sad to see him go. A team with zero accountability isn't going to learn.

Unless I'm wrong, Sanchez stayed in the game both times and saw zero repercussions for it. I don't care if a coach may or may not have talked to him after. That's not repercussions, especially when it happened a second time.

You better believe Jack McKeon or any other countless number of managers would've immediately subbed Sanchez out the second time, if not both times.

We have so many more issues than that, but that specifically soured me on Skip assuming he has any decision making power.

Just to be clear, this team would be a dumpster fire currently no matter who was the one managing it.

5 hours ago, Rydawg said:

Conine deserves a shot also. 

I'm convinced that Bendix doesn't know Conine is in the system even.

He should've spent some time in Tampa's system I guess. Likely part of why Jesus Sanchez gets so much rope.

I mean, at this point, why not just move on from Skip.  I like him, and while I admit I haven't been watching at all to see how his attitude/body language is, I'd have to imagine his heart isn't really in it with how the team is (or rather isn't) performing, his contract now ending, and it being pretty obvious that they'll want to move on to Bendix's manager (Kapler) - why would he care?  It's similar to Don, who was obviously checked out in the last year of his deal.

Move on, go into full "test" year and try out the younger guys and see if we actually have anything.  Move on from the dead wight (Garcia, etc) and try to find at least some bench pieces or something out of the current crop.

32 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I mean, at this point, why not just move on from Skip.  I like him, and while I admit I haven't been watching at all to see how his attitude/body language is, I'd have to imagine his heart isn't really in it with how the team is (or rather isn't) performing, his contract now ending, and it being pretty obvious that they'll want to move on to Bendix's manager (Kapler) - why would he care?  It's similar to Don, who was obviously checked out in the last year of his deal.

Move on, go into full "test" year and try out the younger guys and see if we actually have anything.  Move on from the dead wight (Garcia, etc) and try to find at least some bench pieces or something out of the current crop.

Bruce left Don in there for his final season when it was clear he didn't want to be there any longer. Bruce has kept Avi on the team this long when he has no place. Bruce will keep Skip too for the length of the season. 

Can't be giving away free money to people who no longer work for you.

He just doesn't care beyond using the team as his ATM.

1 hour ago, Daddy Dix said:

Bruce left Don in there for his final season when it was clear he didn't want to be there any longer. Bruce has kept Avi on the team this long when he has no place. Bruce will keep Skip too for the length of the season. 

Can't be giving away free money to people who no longer work for you.

He just doesn't care beyond using the team as his ATM.

This is a good point.

I don't see Skip getting fired unless it's one of those last weekend of the season type of moves. This is one of those where it's clearly not the managers fault and they'll just let him finish the season almost out of courtesy. It would be an awful look to fire Skip anytime soon. Also it's not like the season can still be saved like in 03 so just let him finish the year. If the team was clearly better and underperforming way below expectations that would be different.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't see Skip getting fired unless it's one of those last weekend of the season type of moves. This is one of those where it's clearly not the managers fault and they'll just let him finish the season almost out of courtesy. It would be an awful look to fire Skip anytime soon. Also it's not like the season can still be saved like in 03 so just let him finish the year. If the team was clearly better and underperforming way below expectations that would be different.

Who cares if it's an "awful look"?  Have you seen the teams lackluster play? Before I quit watching altogether about 3 weeks in he didn't seem to give a shit any longer. Get him out since we all 💯  know he's gone at seasons end anyway.  

The awful look stuff needs to stop though because it makes zero difference and  nobody is paying attention anyway. Casual fans aren't gonna go to this landfill fire. Cut him loose yesterday.

2 hours ago, Daddy Dix said:

Who cares if it's an "awful look"?  Have you seen the teams lackluster play? Before I quit watching altogether about 3 weeks in he didn't seem to give a shit any longer. Get him out since we all 💯  know he's gone at seasons end anyway.  

The awful look stuff needs to stop though because it makes zero difference and  nobody is paying attention anyway. Casual fans aren't gonna go to this landfill fire. Cut him loose yesterday.

I disagree. A new manager isn't fixing this one cuz the roster is still flawed. Let the 2023 Manager of the Year finish this season out and bring in the next guy to supposedly start fresh in the offseason with an overhauled roster.

24 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I disagree. A new manager isn't fixing this one cuz the roster is still flawed. Let the 2023 Manager of the Year finish this season out and bring in the next guy to supposedly start fresh in the offseason with an overhauled roster.

In the 2 most recent seasons in MLB when a team lost 110+ games:

2018 Orioles and 2019 Tigers both only won 47 games during those seasons. The managers got to stay the full season. But those managers were Buck Showalter with the Orioles in 2018 (who didn’t have his contract renewed after the 2018 season) and Ron Gardenhire with the Tigers in 2019 (who stayed but retired after the 2020 season).

 

Now on the other hand with Skip it’s really going to come down to Bruce and Bendix.

 

A lot of teams will fire a manager mid season when they are only around 8-10 games under and just to prove a point. But usually we will see when a team starts off this bad the manager will sometimes get fired just to have someone to blame.

For example in recent years Joe Girardi, Joe Maddon and of course Mike Redmond all got fired after only around 60 games or so into the season.

 

Gabe Kapler won manager of the year in 2021 and got fired from the Giants with 6 games remaining in the 2023 season after the Giants failed to make the postseason for 3 out of 4 years of his tenure. I could actually see something like that happening with Skip.. like to fire him in the last month of the year since he’s not coming back anyways.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.